Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 07-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #21
Krinberry

Default Re: Public Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Closing down Pyramid will give our team more time to spend on the GURPS game, producing more PDFs and bringing more out-of-print GURPS books back to print through the GURPS On Demand program.
Woohoo, Vehicles for 4E! :)
Krinberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #22
Celti

This announcement has so many terrible emotions clashing in my heart right now.

I think the most poignant point, though, is the loss of the fantastic entry point for GURPS freelance writers. This is going to hurt, both for those wanting to start writing professionally and for those whom Pyramid has been a timely side hustle.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #23
LokRobster

I was just considering re-subbing! Not soon enough, apparently.

It feels kinda like when the online weekly Pyramid went away...

Time to buy some back issues.

In the meantime, good luck. Adapt and thrive and keep up the good work.

Last edited by LokRobster; 07-24-2018 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Errata!
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #24
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
"Closing down Pyramid will give our team more time to spend on the GURPS game, producing more PDFs and bringing more out-of-print GURPS books back to print through the GURPS On Demand program. Additionally, this will give the team time to explore the thousands of Pyramid articles that we have published since 1993 and select the best works that are worthy of compilation, expansion, and update to the GURPS 4th edition rules."
SJGames was able to handle both a magazine and the GURPS line before, so clearly something changed between then and now that requires a choice between the GURPS line and the Pyramid magazine. Just one example of a thing that could have changed is this: previously, the GURPS and Pyramid lines could have made enough money to support more people working on it. Now they do not, and that may be one reason you're consolidating your line by ending support for Pyramid.

I don't think concern is unwarranted. I find it difficult to interpret this choice as a sign that the GURPS line is doing better than ever.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #25
pestigor

I went to Libertycon in 2009 where Steve Jackson gave a panel. I asked about Gurps' future and when that came up he made a comment about Pyramid that strongly indicated to me that it was a money sink...I am surprised it lasted as long as it did.
I think they're trying to "rally" Gurps by trimming things that aren't working for the line and this unfortunately seems the case with Pyramid.
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #26
Blind Mapmaker

This is terrible. I've been subscribed ever since I could afford it (with a break for being broke and the Pyramid-3 being more expensive) and the prompt monthly delivery has been a joy to me. I realise you're doing this for business reasons, but it still feels like [Mod edit: We can do without the violent metaphors, thank you]. I am devastated.

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 07-24-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:31 PM   #27
RPGFan

sad news...
RPGFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:28 AM   #28
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I find it difficult to interpret this choice as a sign that the GURPS line is doing better than ever.
I suspect that what's happened is that print-on-demand, plus PDF sales on DTRPG, are making it look more profitable to spend person-hours on revising and collating the large mass of Pyramid v2 material, rather than editing new stuff.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:57 AM   #29
flyingwombat

Bummer. I subscribed for a year earlier this week.
I understand why. I hope Pyramid will return.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:36 AM   #30
Tom H.

I think it would be cool if a "magazine" like Pyramid could return intermittently once a critical mass of varied material presented itself. Something in the vein of Ogrezine.

By not being forced to meet a deadline each month, maybe resources can be used to bring the strongest creations a little less regularly.

It would still be cool to have an offering that could collect diverse material and user submissions that would not have to be as focused as the implied GURPS PDFs.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote