Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default GURPS Mars Attacks

Who else has gotten their copy of GURPS: Mars Attacks? Curious to hear other people's thoughts. I was a bit disappointed when I realized how much of the production values had gone into making a pretty coffee-table book as opposed to a meatier sourcebook. Fans of the aesthetics of the Mars Attacks franchise will think that's a positive, I guess. And thank GOD (well, thank PK) we now finally have official stats for TL8 jet fighters. GURPS 4e has been missing that for an embarrassingly long time.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Mars Attacks

It was very pretty but no or minimal new crunch which is what I look for most in new books. Still it looks pretty and I think does the setting well.
If it attracts new customers I will be very happy.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Michael Thayne

One thing the world-building seems to be missing: tanks. This seems pretty egregious given "ineffectual tank firing" is a staple of alien invasion movies. The mega-walkers (Automatons, I think they're called?) are appropriately scary against a ragtag band of infantry, but the Martians are only described as having "dozens" of them when real-world Main Battle Tank strength is in the thousands for US/Russia/China. The Automatons aren't going to win against MBTs when outnumbered 100 to 1.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:30 AM   #4
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Who else has gotten their copy of GURPS: Mars Attacks? Curious to hear other people's thoughts.
Me and nice. I only knew the movie, and reading it was fun, even if we will almost certainly never use it for a game.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
voodoo54

For how short it was I thought it was very well done. It actually has quite a bit of information in it. I also liked the full color layout. I think I'm like most people and only knew Mars Attacks from the movie. I didn't realize how much background there is to this setting. I'm a big supporter of physical books and hope sjgames continues to put out new material (and bring back old ones too). My only gripe is probably like most people and would like a little more crunch in the book but overall I think this is a very well done source book. Congratulations to Jason for an excellent product.
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
GM Joe

I like the book a lot. There's a ton of setting info in there. I don't feel it lacks crunch; it just doesn't need it, as far as I can see.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
Kalzazz

How are the gadgeteering rules?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
ham2anv

You can read my review at my blog: http://oneyardhex.blogspot.com/2017/...ks-review.html

TLDR: I liked it a lot more than I expected to.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #9
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
How are the gadgeteering rules?
A huge letdown, IMHO. Some teaks on top of what's in the basic set rather than a real new system. So far, After the End is the GURPS supplement with the best Gadgeteering rules, I think.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
Michael Thayne

For the Main Battle Tank thing, if I were running a Mars Attacks game, I think I'd invoke the "Armor and Volume" from Pyramid #3/34 to justify giving them DR 840 (Hardened 2). That makes them nearly—but not quite—immune to a 6dx10 (10) shaped-charge attack, and makes it somewhat more reasonable that "dozens" of them could be a centerpiece of the Martian military.

Tags
mars attacks