Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
lachimba

Default GURPS as a convention game

As an effort to do something that I can do to make GURPS more popular as opposed to something that SJ Games should do, I've decided I want to try running GURPS at a convention.

The recent big two gaming convention in Sydney had a ton of D&D, but not much else in the way of RPGs.

What do those with experience think would work best as a convention game?

I'd like to have the whole game done in less than five hours. Ideally about three would be great. So I'd ideally have characters made and take some short cuts.

Any other advice would be appreciated.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
Anders

Default Re: GURPS as a convention game

Don't try to compete with D&D in the Fantasy market. Run an After the End game instead.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
Lucian

I fully believe gurps is a much better system than DnD
But not in a convention setting.

It usually takes time to fully appreciate gurps

E-mail me if you have questions enniya.questions@gmail.com
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Your biggest problem will be time. RPG's take time, and gurps is no exception. Combat in particular can be time consuming. Choose if you want to display combat or to display skills. I personally would go for a investigation plot with a fight at the end. Some social stuff, some looking around for information, and then a showdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Don't try to compete with D&D in the Fantasy market. Run an After the End game instead.
Or something else that really shows off the ability to run anywhere. I've seen westerns pushed as a place where gurps really shines. Really, anywhere other than the ninety and nine will fill that requirement. Don't go too out there though: you want the game to be accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
I fully believe gurps is a much better system than DnD
But not in a convention setting.

It usually takes time to fully appreciate gurps
It takes time to fully appreciate the character building aspect, I'll give you that. Sadly, you don't have time to display that at a convention. I suspect that you can pick up people on mere simulationist/realism grounds though. As well as flexibility.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Lucian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Your biggest problem will be time. RPG's take time, and gurps is no exception. Combat in particular can be time consuming. Choose if you want to display combat or to display skills. I personally would go for a investigation plot with a fight at the end. Some social stuff, some looking around for information, .
Yeah, it takes my group, who've been playing for months, at least 45 minutes to resolve combat.

Of course my bad guys aren't push overs but still

E-mail me if you have questions enniya.questions@gmail.com
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Your biggest problem will be time. RPG's take time, and gurps is no exception. Combat in particular can be time consuming. Choose if you want to display combat or to display skills. I personally would go for a investigation plot with a fight at the end. Some social stuff, some looking around for information, and then a showdown.

Or something else that really shows off the ability to run anywhere. I've seen westerns pushed as a place where gurps really shines. Really, anywhere other than the ninety and nine will fill that requirement. Don't go too out there though: you want the game to be accessible.

It takes time to fully appreciate the character building aspect, I'll give you that. Sadly, you don't have time to display that at a convention. I suspect that you can pick up people on mere simulationist/realism grounds though. As well as flexibility.
I generally run investigation type games. I'd kind of like to go gonzo, the other fallback (not GURPS) option for me to run would be Nights Black Agents The Dracula Dossier. I'd hate for no one to join the game if they don't understand it(But I'll bring along someone who knows GURPS or not do the game at all)

Last edited by lachimba; 07-19-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
Culture20

Dark Tower. You want magic and gunslingers and mutants? GURPS has rules for that.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #8
thastygliax

Stick strictly to basic rules. If it can't be built or resolved using GURPS Lite, it's probably more complicated than you want to include in a short con game meant to introduce new players to the system.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:18 AM   #9
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by thastygliax View Post
Stick strictly to basic rules. If it can't be built or resolved using GURPS Lite, it's probably more complicated than you want to include in a short con game meant to introduce new players to the system.
Consider this somewhat seconded, simplicity is going to be your friend taking lite as your starting point is probably essential. I think that you can get away with adding one or two additional elements providing you choose carefully magic for urban fantasy or pressure and gravity rules for a space scenario but pick one (or two closely related) complication and leave it at that.

I would also agree with avoiding straight fantasy and downplaying combat. You want your game to stand out and you don't want it to bog down.

The biggest thing you can do to make it work is to put in a bit of time in advance making sure that there is some support for your players. GURPS has a (somewhat deserved) reputation for being complicated which might work against you, however this can be countered by providing cheat sheets for the major rules (while it may not be practical for you I have given new players a modified copy of GURPS Ultra lite or one page GURPS as a reference) and by avoiding skill or ability bloat.

On the subject of bloat I would personally stick with lower point characters with focused skill lists rather than the higher cost characters from the template driven series such as after the end. 5-10 major skills and a single ability (if possible purchased as a skill) if any will serve well enough for a one off.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:56 AM   #10
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by thastygliax View Post
Yep.

You know what I would love to play GURPS Discworld and that's Lite.
I don't know if the kids know what Discworld is but i think fun humourous fantasy might work. Or perhaps it's too close to D&D and better to do Call of Duty/ Walking Dead rip offs.

Tags
convention, gurps