Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2020, 07:14 AM   #31
FeiLin

Default Re: The Beauty of GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Then in 4e I made a 1000pt genetically engineered warrior-accountant.
I imagine 900 pts in accounting related skills and advantages, beefed up with 90 pts in ST and 10 pts in a genetic combat implant.
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:18 AM   #32
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
I imagine 900 pts in accounting related skills and advantages, beefed up with 90 pts in ST and 10 pts in a genetic combat implant.
Even for a warrior, heightened DX is really important. Hitting hard isn't so useful if the other combatant hits first, or more often.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #33
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Even for a warrior, heightened DX is really important. Hitting hard isn't so useful if the other combatant hits first, or more often.
Yes, he was ST 29 but DX 22 and many other useful TL10 advantages.

The Accoutning was the easy part. A full +4 was available from Mathematical aptitude. This could also be boosted from the Business Acumen Telent though that would be cultural rather than genetic.

Cybernetic Chip Slots would be available but at TL10 you'd be limited to ony 3 lots at the same time with no more than 10pts maybe in each. Just barely adequate and possibly vulnerable to someone with more organic Skils.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #34
AlexanderHowl

That is more of a warrior who is an accountant on the side (a character's role is defined by where the majority or plurality of their points are invested). At TL10 though, ST 29 is mostly wasted (most of the large weapons can be shot from the hip with ST 20, and powered armor can provide that). While HP 29 is marginally useful for survival against small arms fire, it is really meaningless against heavy arms (for example, an ETC Heavy Chaingun firing APHEX rounds deals an average of 119 points of damage per hit against an unarmored target).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #35
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
That is more of a warrior who is an accountant on the side (a character's role is defined by where the majority or plurality of their points are invested). ).
False. A character's _life_ is defined by what he does most often and even in an Honorable Space Barbarian society there are more audits than audits contested by Honor Duels.

Powered armor is of course not allowed in Honor Duels. Neither are guns. He did have a reasonable capability in "simple" i.e. not restricted by Honor combat both personal, small vehicular and spaceship-based. He had some social skills too. I generally don't build one trick pony characters and I certainly don't do it on 1000 pt budgets.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #36
Alden Loveshade

I got into GURPS for one reason: its adaptability.

I had created a galaxy I wanted to run in a roleplaying game, and looked for a science fiction RPG I could adapt. All of the ones I looked at would require a tremendous amount of work to adapt them--I actually thought it would be easier to create my own game. That I did not want to do; I wanted to start running a campaign. I had about given up.

Then a friend told me about GURPS. I didn't even want to bother looking at it, as it wasn't a science fiction game. But he insisted I borrow his Basic Set--thank goodness!

I got GURPS Space two days before my SF campaign began. Later I got world books, etc. I got even more enthused about the system. I realized I could "plug in" whatever I wanted in a game, and the books, which had a lot of great information, made sense.

A year later, I started playing GURPS. The first PC I created has visited dozens of worlds in over a dozen campaigns.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:25 PM   #37
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
False. A character's _life_ is defined by what he does most often
That doesn't contradict AlexanderHowl. A character's life and their role are rarely the same thing. Which is another cool thing about the system, you can build what your character's life is inside of everything else. Many systems don't put things like that on the sheet and in a way that doesn't get in the way of other things.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #38
sgtcallistan

The 'toolkit' aspect, so we can modify to make the game we want to play.

The 'anything goes' aspect, so we can adapt almost any source material and use it easily.

The simplicity of mechanics, frex where it's clear that more than 14 in a skill is usually wasting points (amazingly useful with almost all players).

The scarcity of points (as we play it), meaning the journey is more important than the ideal.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #39
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcallistan View Post
T

The simplicity of mechanics, frex where it's clear that more than 14 in a skill is usually wasting points (amazingly useful with almost all players).
This is a point where the mechanics might not be as clear as you think. Skill-14 critically succeeds 2% of the time and critically fails 2% of the time. Skill-16 critically succeeds 10% of the time and critically fails 1/2 of 1% of the time.

You don't need Skill-16 in every Skill but there important ones where the difference will be significant.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:42 AM   #40
AlexanderHowl

Agreed. In addition, players have found skill levels of 30+ useful in my campaigns, as I will gleefully stack negative modifiers. For example, a character trying to shoot a target during a blizzard (-6 for difficulty) at night (-9 for visibility) from 100 yards away (-10 for range) would only succeed on a 10- with an effective skill of 35. In general, I feel that GMs are not assigning the proper modifiers if skill levels of 16+ are considered 'wasted'.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4e