Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-09-2020, 04:43 AM   #1
harlandski

Default Game-world size of hexes

I've Googled this, but all I could find was discussions of the increase of hexes in size from 1 to 1.5 inches in some of the new reprints.

But my question is - how much space is a hex supposed to represent in the game world? Are hexes 10 feet, 10 yards, or something else across? This question has come up as I want to run a combat on a bridge, and I want to give the bridge reasonable proportions.

As I've said in my other posts, I have the "Two Complete Games in One Box" version of the game.

Last edited by harlandski; 03-09-2020 at 05:26 AM.
harlandski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:30 AM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Game-world size of hexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlandski View Post
I've Googled this, but all I could find was discussions of the increase of hexes in size from 1 to 1.5 inches in some of the new reprints.

But my question is - how much space is a hex supposed to represent in the game world? Are hexes 10 feet, 10 yards, or something else across? This question has come up as I want to run a combat on a bridge, and I want to give the bridge reasonable proportions.

As I've said in my other posts, I have the "Two Complete Games in One Box" version of the game.
I always thought a hex was 4 feet across, but I'm not sure where it says that in the rules.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #3
Chris Rice

Found it. ITL page 101. It is 4 feet across a hex.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
horowits

I didn't see a size mentioned in the Melee booklet from your edition. It only referenced hexes. Chris is correct though. Map Scales are on p. 55 in the ITL rules and says a Basic Melee combat hex is 4 feet.

Edit: Too slow, it's also on the page Chris mentioned first. :)
horowits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #5
hcobb

This makes each hex the rough equivalent of the about a square meter that historical armies allocated per soldier.

The Megahexes are ten feet apart and so one megahex is the rough equivalent of the ten foot by ten foot square found in other games.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
larsdangly

I do a lot of conversions of OSR materials to TFT, and I use a flat 1-MH per 10' square to convert maps. This is a pretty successful system.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:39 PM   #7
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I do a lot of conversions of OSR materials to TFT, and I use a flat 1-MH per 10' square to convert maps. This is a pretty successful system.
Hexes are 4 feet, so a megahex is 97 square feet, which is more than accurate enough for almost anyone's purposes.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #8
larsdangly

Another 'hack' that I find useful for such conversions: if you don't want to lay out spaces using strict hex/MH boundaries, you can quickly get yourself pretty close to rectilinear spaces by making sure one of the 3 pairs of hex sides on each hex are oriented N-S or E-W and then drawing your orthogonal lines either by alternating between following one hex side and bisecting the next hex, or (going in the other direction) by tightly zig-zagging along the pointy bits of the hex outlines. This might not sound clear, but if you experiment a bit on a piece of paper you will see what I mean.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Found it. ITL page 101. It is 4 feet across a hex.
Older edition was metric 1 1/3 m per hex. So 3' 10'.
ak_aramis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #10
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Another 'hack' that I find useful for such conversions: if you don't want to lay out spaces using strict hex/MH boundaries, you can quickly get yourself pretty close to rectilinear spaces by making sure one of the 3 pairs of hex sides on each hex are oriented N-S or E-W and then drawing your orthogonal lines either by alternating between following one hex side and bisecting the next hex, or (going in the other direction) by tightly zig-zagging along the pointy bits of the hex outlines. This might not sound clear, but if you experiment a bit on a piece of paper you will see what I mean.
I've used a technique like this to make hex maps with only full and half-hexes. Some are in the Tactical Hex Maps book I recently crowdfunded.