Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-27-2020, 12:49 AM   #1
cptbutton

Default Time travel or crosstime games on VTT

I am thinking of doing a time travel or crosstime game on Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds. Probably Infinite Worlds based, but quite possibly Centrum Light.

What supported rule-sets would work well for this that people know of?

(While not officially supported, GURPS is an option of course.)

I've got the Mongoose Traveller books but haven't paid much attention to the system.

Off hand, I'd think any space tech game would also work for time travel, as long as you don't mind making up the specific rules for time machines.

Note I am mostly seeing time travel as determining "how the PCs get to the adventure and what they need to do there" rather than the other TT plot of actively messing around with paradoxes, etc.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:45 AM   #2
thrash

Default Re: Time travel or crosstime games on VTT

CPT B, do you have the JTAS Online archives? I did an article in 2007 called "Time Traveller." It talked about an Infinite Worlds/Interstellar Wars cross-over campaign, where the jump drive takes you to alternate timelines rather than other stars. There are also a couple of threads (here and here) on these boards where I developed the concept.

The article started out as a joke, but this has become my go-to Alternate Traveller Universe. It neatly resolves several of the issues I have with the Official Traveller Universe, while allowing for a wide range of adventuring options. Pretty much the only drawback is the lack of aliens. I've run convention games in this setting and the players seemed to enjoy it.

Last edited by thrash; 03-27-2020 at 07:49 AM.
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
The Colonel

You can certainly simulate the experience if the lag is bad enough...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

We use TableTop Simulator as our VTT, and have been running GURPS for years using it, including Season 2 of our own Infinite Worlds game: The Infinite Weirdos. We've also played D&D 5E, Mutants and MasterMinds, WEG D6 Star Wars and several other games in it. The only things that don't work well are games like BattleTech, with a record sheet that needs constant updates, though a highly-skilled Lua programmer could probably solve that problem. My group does not have one of those, and, apparently, highly-skilled Lua programmers either don't play BattleTech, don't use TableTop Simulator, or just have better things to do with their time.

But, at the end of the day, all of my games have the potential to be Infinite Worlds. It's not as much a setting as a switch to me.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote