Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #91
a humble lich

Default Re: High Magic Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Things are pretty mellow around here and official reprimands are rare. A key reason I favor this forum is its such a good community!
Can I just second this idea. I am really impressed by how supportive this community is. And that there are several of the authors who will post here and answer questions. Also, I've made the mistake of necro'ing an old thread without realizing it, so don't worry too much.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #92
Fred Brackin

Default Re: High Magic Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
As Eveleyeore noted Golems dont have FP so shouldnt be able to cast spells.
This was peripherally addressed in 3e though it was more about computers casting spells.

The first version goibg back to...Robots maybe was to build a special kind of chip called a "mana co-processor". all sorts of exotic ingredients were necessary but the result was a computer with Magery.

A source of energy to cast the spells with was still necessary. Powering the thing with an energy source called a "bio-convertor". The usual forms of this turned living material into mundane energy but an apparently magical version could be used to fuel spells. Related to this concept is what's called a "soulburner" which was about as evil as it sounded like.

In Technomancer though there was a variant of Draw Power that made it possible to power magic items with mundane energy. Usually in very large quantities.

Some of these ideas were elaborated on in Magic Items 3 which had "spell engines".

There are also some 4e ideas about using magic energy in Urban Magic.