Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
Anders

Default [Sorcery] Special Lightning Spell

I'm trying to recreate the spells from one of my childhood RPGS, Drakar och Demoner. One of the spells was a lightning spell that hit the closest target in front of you (if two targets were equally close it hit the one with the most metal on it.) How much is this limitation worth? -20%
Old 09-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: [Sorcery] Special Lightning Spell

I believe it's Psionic Powers that has Surge: Arcing for +100% for electrical attacks that more properly obey the laws of physics and reduce metal armor to DR 1 regardless.

It seems, based on what you give, that's what I'd use.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Anders

Sounds reasonable, but doesn't affect the targeting question.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
GodBeastX

-20%

I go by the fact most other Limitations that seem to take away choice go with a value around that.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Anders

-20% is my "default" value for Limitations, yes. Thank you.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
lvalero

Please. I am very interested in sorcery spells. Can you post your custom spell once you have built it?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
Anders

I'm converting the entire damn supplement, so that will take some time. I can mail them to you school by school as PDFs if you want. Note that I use some house rules so you may have to convert your spells to 'vanilla' GURPS. And don't be surprised if I quite half-way - I'm not good at following through (which is one reason I don't write for SJG).
Old 09-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

I'd say that 20% isn't quite enough.

Here's my reasoning: a -20% accessibility limitation is what you get for an ability which is useful about half the time. In an average fight at least half the people involved are likely to be friendly targets, possibly more if you are fighting somewhere with friendly non-combatants. The chances that the closest person in front of you is someone you don't want to fry seems very likely to be more than 50%. You can tilt the odds in your favour by positioning yourself, but accessibility limitations already assume that you do something like that. So -20% would be a bare minimum for the limitation value. Then you need to account for the fact that the closest enemy is unlikely to be the best target, so that adds a nuisance effect, which is surely worth another -5% at the very least.

So I'd say around -30% would be closer to my estimate of what only being able to hit the closest target would be worth.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
Anders

Interesting. Well I have a lot of time to make up my mind.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
starslayer

This is an interesting one;

I was asking myself 'what does this limitation actually mean'.

1. Useless from the 'back row'- you can't ever use this while one of your allies is covering for you, since they are the easiest target.

2. Useless for targeting the enemy 'back row'- anyone who is doing blocking for the enemy is going to be able to block your spell by being the closest target.

However even with that in mind- will this spell fail to deliver effect in >50% of situations; I would have to say 'not really', its going to have reduced effect in many situations, perhaps even over 80%, but it will reliably deliver 'I can do damage to the bad guys' more than 50% of the time, so 20% seems right.

Now if it ALSO would hit cover, statues, and anything vaguely 'man-shaped' then it would be a MUCH more potent limitation, but it would also be far harder to use unless you fight on featureless planes.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitation, sorcery