Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #11
selenite

Default Re: Ogremorphic record sheets?

If you want prettier record sheets, look up the Martian Metals ogre record templates.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #12
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
I could swear someone has already done this with a Mark III when I was googling Ogre images. Yeah here ya go; http://martianmetalsogremkvb.blogspo...templates.html
That's just a fancier version of the official sheets. What's being discussed here is a top-down silhouette of an Ogre with boxes at each location of each weapon, similar to a Car Wars record sheet. I suspect that some people would find them nice, and I have no problem trying to put one together, but most of us long-time players (myself included) will prefer the existing style as it's more logical and thus harder to miss something at a glance...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #13
Mack_JB

As I said, I did some quick pencil sketches, but just like the "odds dice" or "easier CRT" debates, it will come down to preferences; as they are now, the existing sheets aren't bad at all.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #14
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
As I said, I did some quick pencil sketches, but just like the "odds dice" or "easier CRT" debates, it will come down to preferences; as they are now, the existing sheets aren't bad at all.
Yeah, personal tastes is definitely a factor with this kind of project. My main concern is ease of use. If a format makes it harder to see something, or easier to miss something, then it's value diminishes rapidly. For me, the record sheets need to quickly convey exactly how many of each weapon are left; having to count individual boxes on an image is a LOT harder than looking at a row of boxes.

The current sheets make it harder because the weapons are jumbled on the sheet. There's no logical ordering of the weapons so it takes effort to find the grouping that goes with the weapon in question. They are just stuck wherever they "fit" around the picture.

If I were doing it, I'd get rid of the picture completely and just do a simple stats rundown (e.g., old-school draw circles on a sheet of paper). It isn't pretty, but it's the most efficient at showing exactly what's left.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #15
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
If I were doing it, I'd get rid of the picture completely and just do a simple stats rundown (e.g., old-school draw circles on a sheet of paper). It isn't pretty, but it's the most efficient at showing exactly what's left.
I've got an Ogre game or three lined up this afternoon. So I made up some quick and dirty stat sheets in Word. 14 pt. type for text, with 18 pt. "O" as the fill-ins. We'll see how it works. We also intend to test something a bit more that may be in the up-coming Ogrezine.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #16
atomic

I'd be happy with good hi-res scans (or vector graphics would be even better) of top down and/or oblique views. That way we could make our own. Barring that (I understand the I.P. issues that might arise) I could be happy with half page record sheets per Ogre. I'm guessing I'm not the only Old Guy here that might have trouble with the standard size sheets. For demos I've enlarged the relevant sheets to 4 per page. Much bigger than that and the become a little too fugly to use to try to recruit new players. Your milage (and/or eyesight) may vary.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #17
jfleisher

I made these in Excel about a million years ago... they do tend to suck up the black ink/toner though.

http://forums.sjgames.com/attachment...1&d=1508980252

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com

Last edited by jfleisher; 11-10-2017 at 10:41 AM.
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #18
Mack_JB

Well, as it turns out, we played two games of G.E.V. "Breakthrough" yesterday, so no Ogres used at all. And then my opponent forgot his potential Ogrezine submission papers at home, and we couldn't use that item either!

I did finish up the simple stat sheets for all the other Ogres, from Mk. I up to the Ninja, Vulcan, and Dopp. But really, anyone with an hour or two and a copy of Word can do that.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:13 AM   #19
J. Durr

I confess I am nonplussed by the notion that the type of record sheet I am proposing will create difficulty for players. They never created difficulty in Car Wars so why would they in Ogre? Even leaving aside the likelihood that anyone who would use them can probably recite Ogre stats from memory in his sleep.

To clear up confusion I've knocked together a very raw image that suggests what I'm after. WARNING: I did it in about ninety seconds in paint, don't expect Tiepolo. Also I left out two AP guns.

https://imgur.com/obGFCHO

Sloppy as that is, I think displays quite clearly how much of everything there is and where they are. Notice that we can dispense with little boxes for the weapons: different shapes can denote different weapons, and the whole shape can be crossed out.

It might even be fun for the opposing player to do the crossing off, like "BLAM I just shot that off!"
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #20
Mack_JB

I gotta admit, your artwork makes sense, but to me it looks like Godzilla Cat is attacking Big City!