Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
brianfb

Default spellcasting ranges.

Question for the crowd. The rules state that regular spells are cast at -1 per yard of distance to the target. Why doesn't this use the range/speed table like everything else?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: spellcasting ranges.

As I see it that is mostly a balancing factor, forcing mages who want to use those "save or lose combat" spells close enough to their opponents so they have a chance. So they balance with melee combatants better.

Using speed/range table the mages could stand back far and use those spells from relative safety.

Edit:
I have used the campaignwide switch of using range/speed table for spells and found it fairly workable.

And the only real issue I found is that it makes "save or be out of combat" spells too powerful if you have enough energy to cast them many times as you can retry several times while at range. In my campaign I fixed that by giving targets for any resistable spells a cumulative +3 to resist them from the same caster, that and the fact that you still get some range penalties if you try to stay out of range seemed to balance out fairly well.

Of course that switch does increase the power of magic compared to standard magic.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
Nereidalbel

Regular spells are basically Afflictions with Malediction 1. The balancing factor is that a mage who wants to use an IWIN button has to actually get close and take some risk.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfb View Post
Question for the crowd. The rules state that regular spells are cast at -1 per yard of distance to the target. Why doesn't this use the range/speed table like everything else?
The most fundamental reason is the spell rules were written before the Speed/Range table existed.

You could change it if you like, though if you do you really ought to go ahead and separate the spellcasting roll (which then wouldn't take any range penalties) from a new to hit roll (which would). Keep in mind that some spells will be unbalanced without a rewrite, because the authors assumed they were short ranged when creating them and weighed that in any balance considerations.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
brianfb

I tend to avoid using a BBEG. I hit my players with hordes instead. It seems unduly harsh given the high mana cost and chance to resist. All just to take out one of many threats. That is why I am asking.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Keep in mind that some spells will be unbalanced without a rewrite
To be fair, plenty of spells are already unbalanced. Your best bet is to use a different magic system.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfb View Post
Regular Spells are spells that are cast directly on a target, and generally either have a resistance roll or used to buff an ally. Given that a Mage can easily have a skill of 15+ the distance penalty helps keep these spells in balance because they either have to get close enough to be in danger to keep their skill level high enough to beat the resistance roll or they have to risk failure on the spell. Or, for healing/buff spells, they have to be close enough to their allies to be in danger if they want to help them instead of casting these spells from a distance.

So, basically, the penalty is to keep the Mage in the melee and in some danger instead of being able to lob spells from safety from all but missile attackers.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote