Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:28 AM   #11
tomc

Default Re: New G.E.V. Edition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
That's a really good price, but as many of us have experienced, shipping on this one will nail you.

Being the type of guy I am, I'd try and figure a way out to hide the huge ODE gift box to your son, and instead give him a Pocket Edition on Christmas, with some clue embedded as to how to find his "other" real gift.
I'd suggest storing it on the ground floor...

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
mstlaurent

Quote:
That's a really good price, but as many of us have experienced, shipping on this one will nail you.

Being the type of guy I am, I'd try and figure a way out to hide the huge ODE gift box to your son, and instead give him a Pocket Edition on Christmas, with some clue embedded as to how to find his "other" real gift.
Shipping was $30, so $119 out the door. Not too bad, considering it's coming from the other side of the country. I told my wife her mission now is to keep me from opening it before Christmas.

He's going to explode. He doesn't even know that the Designer Edition exists.
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #13
Mack_JB

Just for reference, how old is your lucky son? I gave my son eBay purchased copies of Ogre, G.E.V., Battlefields, Shockwave ... when he was 16. He found them just as cool as I did when I found them around the same age (Ogre came out when I was 16, I think I bought it from an ad seen in Analog, I bought G.E.V. new from a game store when it arrived a year later).
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
mstlaurent

Quote:
Just for reference, how old is your lucky son? I gave my son eBay purchased copies of Ogre, G.E.V., Battlefields, Shockwave ... when he was 16. He found them just as cool as I did when I found them around the same age (Ogre came out when I was 16, I think I bought it from an ad seen in Analog, I bought G.E.V. new from a game store when it arrived a year later).
He's nine, which is, coincidentally, the exact age I was when I discovered Ogre in 1977.

I was laughing about it with my wife last night. When I bought Ogre back then, I had no idea what I was getting. The only reference I had was those sets of plastic army men they advertised in the backs of comic books, which I had bought scores of. So I ordered it thinking that I was going to get a whole set of miniature futuristic plastic tanks. Instead, I got, well, a microgame with a paper map and a bunch of cardboard counters. I was so disappointed. But then I started reading it, and I realized that this was a whole new level. I actually wound up using it as a model to go back and write miniature rules for all those plastic toy kits I'd bought from the comic books.

So now, here I am, almost forty years later, buying an edition of Ogre for my son that actually has little miniature model Ogres in it. It feels like I've come full circle. LOL
Old 10-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #15
Buzzardo

Quote:
Ogre came out when I was 16
That makes me one year younger than you. We have quite a crowd in our age range around here, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
He's nine, which is, coincidentally, the exact age I was when I discovered Ogre in 1977.

I was laughing about it with my wife last night. When I bought Ogre back then, I had no idea what I was getting. The only reference I had was those sets of plastic army men they advertised in the backs of comic books, which I had bought scores of. So I ordered it thinking that I was going to get a whole set of miniature futuristic plastic tanks. Instead, I got, well, a microgame with a paper map and a bunch of cardboard counters. I was so disappointed. But then I started reading it, and I realized that this was a whole new level. I actually wound up using it as a model to go back and write miniature rules for all those plastic toy kits I'd bought from the comic books.

So now, here I am, almost forty years later, buying an edition of Ogre for my son that actually has little miniature model Ogres in it. It feels like I've come full circle. LOL
You have gone full circle, both in life and in Ogre. Wait'll he passes it on to the grandkids and they discover that grandpa is an Ogre master - and consequently one cool old dude. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #16
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
store it _as_ the ground floor.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #17
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
That makes me one year younger than you. We have quite a crowd in our age range around here, I think.

You have gone full circle, both in life and in Ogre. Wait'll he passes it on to the grandkids and they discover that grandpa is an Ogre master - and consequently one cool old dude. :)
I'm the oddball... I got it in 1979, but I got G.E.V. first. What's scary is that puts me at being 8 when I got it and dug into it like nobody's business.

I'm hoping it skips a generation. I just can't get my daughter to give it the time of day.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #18
mstlaurent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
store it _as_ the ground floor.
You guys are hysterical. My wife was looking at the pictures and wondering where we were going to store it. I told her I'd build a new shelf for it. She thought I was joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I'm the oddball... I got it in 1979, but I got G.E.V. first. What's scary is that puts me at being 8 when I got it and dug into it like nobody's business.

I'm hoping it skips a generation. I just can't get my daughter to give it the time of day.
Well, we can't choose our kid's interests. My oldest is really into watching sports on TV. For the entire rest of the family, watching sports on TV is like watching paint dry. Me and my oldest are really into target shooting, but my middle really isn't. My oldest and my youngest are bookworms, but my middle is a builder, he would rather be plugging Legos together. Everybody is different.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #19
wolf90

And sometimes the timing is just not right. What they dismiss now may be of great interest a few years down the line.

What doesn't change is appreciating that people like something. If they see you enjoying the game, some will come around over time if for no other reason than, "Wow. Dad really seem to enjoy this. Perhaps I should check it out. . ."

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #20
Frost Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
Actually, I just picked up a copy of the retail ODE, NIB, on BGG for $89 + shipping. Very stoked. My son is going to have a stroke on Christmas morning. :-) Thanks for all the input!
I gotta tell ya, the pictures you've seen don't do it justice. Wait until you open the box! I discovered Ogre about 1977 if memory serves {and it may not}, I was 28.
Frost Giant is offline   Reply With Quote