Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Wolves, Bears, etc. Multi-hex?

We played with wolves and bears as 1-hex, very large bears, and horses/lions/tigers as 2-hex.

I think part of the key is size/mass x strength and whether it's notably larger than a human and could be expected to run one down (i.e. the multi-hex engagement/shift/trample rules in AM). To me, that's not true of wolves but is true of bears, lions, tigers, and horses.

A bear could be considered a 2-hex creature who just often stands up in one hex. I'd give bears MA 16+, too, so they can rightly outrun elves with the Running talent, and enter HTH of humanoids from the front.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #12
Kirk

Well, with people making people at cancerous rates destroying animal habit like nobody's business, The Fantasy Trip will be true to its name with extinct and fantastical creatures such as wolves, bears, giraffes, apes, rhinos, lions, tigers, elephants, and more.

When is the last time you saw any one of those in the little wild that is left? ;0
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:24 AM   #13
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Well, with people making people at cancerous rates destroying animal habit like nobody's business, The Fantasy Trip will be true to its name with extinct and fantastical creatures such as wolves, bears, giraffes, apes, rhinos, lions, tigers, elephants, and more.

When is the last time you saw any one of those in the little wild that is left? ;0
Very sadly looking like that's true.

Though, I encountered wild bears twice last year. A mother and cubs in the forest (we fled immediately, and before they got on the same Wizard map!) and another time in a town park (I just made sure there was distance and several more foolhardy humans between us and the bear).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post

Given the number of coyotes, wolves and bears that routinely take it upon themselves to wander through my orchard (to say nothing of several types of dear, jack rabbits, raccoons, skunks, and the occasional mountain lion), I'd have to say that you should probably get out of the city a little more often...

(And, by the way, I'm only 45 minutes from a major urban area...)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #15
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Given the number of coyotes, wolves and bears that routinely take it upon themselves to wander through my orchard (to say nothing of several types of dear, jack rabbits, raccoons, skunks, and the occasional mountain lion), I'd have to say that you should probably get out of the city a little more often...

(And, by the way, I'm only 45 minutes from a major urban area...)
You might see some local species, but overall almost all wildlife is under heavy threat, with habitat loss a major contributor. Many rather common animals that once numbered in the millions now count in the tens of thousands worldwide, if not less or already endangered or extinct, whereas humans have moved from about 3 billion at the time of my birth to almost 9 billion now, being less than one human lifetime.

I was out of the city but no longer am, everything has turned from woods to strip malls, highways, and apartments as far as the eye can see and further, and people complain about seeing starving and lost animals in their yards, wondering where they came from! They didn't *come* from anywhere, they are confused about what happened to *their* homes!
Old 05-24-2018, 11:32 PM   #16
JLV

Um, it feels like you're kind of talking down to me on this. I'm aware of a lot of things, not just TFT. And I was born in 1960.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:41 PM   #17
Jim Kane
Banned

JLV, obviously KIRK doesn't need me to speak for him, but please consider two things: 1) Most all of us respect you and your contributions to an extremely high degree, and 2) Perhaps you are simply interpreting KIRK's PASSION on this subject as "schooling", when it may have nothing to do "you", other than being the causeway which is allowing him to express his passion on this subject.

I hope you'll consider that possibility, as you take assurance in your esteemed standing among ALL your TFT-Brothers here.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #18
Kirk

It's never clear who knows what these days. Fake news, cognitive dissonance, religious thinking, I've found making assumptions about scientific or social facts can be a real problem.

When I was teaching I had seniors in high school that did not understand that the earth, fundamentally, orbited the sun and the consequences thereof.

My original point was that the "regular" creatures in TFT such as wolves, lions, bears, etc are headed into becoming as fantastical as gryphons and 14 hex dragons due to humankind's destructive actions, that's all, and that when we play a wolf or bear is as welcome a beast to deal with as is some utterly fantastic concoction included by the GM.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:02 AM   #19
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
What do you folks think about the appropriate counter size for bears, wolves, and similar beasts? It seems to me that the average adult wolf should be two hexes long, and the adult bear at least two hexes when walking on all four legs (though, admittedly, they tend to fight standing on their hind legs). Should a large standing bear be a three-hexer?
I prefer to keep them the same. This lets me maintain my illusion that TFT uses 1.5 to 2 meter hexes (which fits the 10 hex movement rate over 5 second turns, the missile ranges and the absence of size changes for prone figures in the original Melee book) rather than the later heresy of 1.33m..
Old 05-28-2018, 02:56 AM   #20
Jim Kane
Banned

"Lions, and Tigers, and Bears; oh my!... Lions, and Tigers, and Bears; oh my!"

Sorry guys, I held-out for as long as I could, but I just couldn't resist a moment longer ;-D

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animals, bears, beasts, hexes, wolves