Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
kaiser1one

Default Question about Portal cards.

Now I know you can only play one a turn. But what if the door you kick down is a portal then you do what it says, then the next door that gets replaced by it is another portal? Since you didnt play it, does it happen again? That's what I gathered from the rules. Since I'm not playing a portal a kicked open door should activate another portal, in theory anyways.

Also, I forget the portal card name, but its one where you have to have 2 or more dungeons in play. If you kick open the door and a portal with the previously stated requirement is revealed, would it activate? Or is that condition only applied to if you actually play it from your hand?
kaiser1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
SmokeRulz

Default Re: Question about Portal cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser1one View Post
Now I know you can only play one a turn. But what if the door you kick down is a portal then you do what it says, then the next door that gets replaced by it is another portal? Since you didnt play it, does it happen again? That's what I gathered from the rules. Since I'm not playing a portal a kicked open door should activate another portal, in theory anyways.
When you kick down a door, I don't think you're actually considered to be playing a card. You're just kicking down a door and following its instructions. When you toss down things from your hand, then you're playing cards. So in the crazy event that two straight Portals come up, I believe they would both activate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser1one View Post
Also, I forget the portal card name, but its one where you have to have 2 or more dungeons in play. If you kick open the door and a portal with the previously stated requirement is revealed, would it activate? Or is that condition only applied to if you actually play it from your hand?
That would be Chooser of the Path. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to ask here though, you used a lot of words. Do you mean to ask: "If you kick down a door and Chooser of the Path comes up when there are 2+ dungeons in play, would it activate?" I don't see why it wouldn't, despite the text on the card. Portals are supposed to activate when they're kicked down, although obviously this one won't work if only one dungeon is out. I'll let a mod confirm this one.
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:35 AM   #3
kaiser1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRulz View Post
When you kick down a door, I don't think you're actually considered to be playing a card. You're just kicking down a door and following its instructions. When you toss down things from your hand, then you're playing cards. So in the crazy event that two straight Portals come up, I believe they would both activate.

That would be Chooser of the Path. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to ask here though, you used a lot of words. Do you mean to ask: "If you kick down a door and Chooser of the Path comes up when there are 2+ dungeons in play, would it activate?" I don't see why it wouldn't, despite the text on the card. Portals are supposed to activate when they're kicked down, although obviously this one won't work if only one dungeon is out. I'll let a mod confirm this one.
^^Yes that is what I was asking. :)
Old 08-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Well, Chooser of the Path does work, it just has no effects that can occur at that point.

As for drawing a Portal after already having drawn a Portal: If you're kicking down the door, that's not as if you played it from your hand, so even if you somehow got all 16 Portals in a row, they'd all go off, one by one. The only issue with one Portal per turn is playing them from your hand.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
kaiser1one

Thats what I figured. Thanks for the clarification! Just wanted to be sure I was doing it correctly.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
MRSA_Major

So, for blistering clarity, if one kicks down Chooser of the Path when only one dungeon is in play, nothing happens and it is discarded? Or do you get to put it in your hand? Do you GUAL since you sort of discarded all but one dungeon?
MRSA_Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
SmokeRulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSA_Major View Post
So, for blistering clarity, if one kicks down Chooser of the Path when only one dungeon is in play, nothing happens and it is discarded? Or do you get to put it in your hand? Do you GUAL since you sort of discarded all but one dungeon?
I assume it's just discarded, since it DID activate, but nothing came of it. Then you kick down a replacement door. Mod will have to confirm, though. Portals are weird.
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSA_Major View Post
So, for blistering clarity, if one kicks down Chooser of the Path when only one dungeon is in play, nothing happens and it is discarded?
This is what I meant.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Flemroid

If a portal card has an affect on it, such as if you are a cutlist lose a level if not go up a level, does that effect the whole party or just that player?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemroid View Post
If a portal card has an affect on it, such as if you are a cutlist lose a level if not go up a level, does that effect the whole party or just that player?
Only you should go up or down the level.

I'm fairly sure every card that would apply to everyone must state so, except for Dungeons, of course.

Another point is that one such Portal, Vast, Horrible Glyphs Graven On The Walls, also refers to 'you' when saying what to do to the Dungeons in a way that is unambiguously referring to the player only.

Tags
portal