Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
Flemroid

Default Re: Star Munchkin: Forged ID in Stasis Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
As it stands: This is a difficult question to answer, but I would have to agree that I'd allow it. I mean, the wording on the Forged ID says it can be played after a failed die roll, which could be used to argue that a Stasis Field, which negates the need for or overrides a die roll, does not count as a failed die roll. However, the intent of Forged ID is to get you out of a bad situation when your back is up against the wall. So, in the spirit of designed intent, it's allowed.
With all due respect Erik, I would have thought the opposite. This just arose today and we followed what you said although the majority of us agreed that Forged ID was meant to override the die roll and Stasis Field bypassed the die roll and went straight to the bad stuff happening not giving the chance for Forged ID to be played.
I'm thinking of house ruling that only a Time Warp or other card that would cancel Stasis Field would work in this situation, eg. Annihilation.. Assuming this is ok with you?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Clipper

It's actually consistent with other rulings, Flemroid. For example, I've seen rulings where cards that say you must fail your next Run Away roll mean that you can't even discard a Hireling to escape automatically. I.e., they force you to fail even if you wouldn't be rolling a die.

I've resolved the logical discrepancy by assuming every Run Away attempt is a "roll", even though you may not need to physically roll a die to do it. That's the apparent intent from all the official rulings I've seen so far and it works semantically.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
Flemroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
It's actually consistent with other rulings, Flemroid. For example, I've seen rulings where cards that say you must fail your next Run Away roll mean that you can't even discard a Hireling to escape automatically. I.e., they force you to fail even if you wouldn't be rolling a die.

I've resolved the logical discrepancy by assuming every Run Away attempt is a "roll", even though you may not need to physically roll a die to do it. That's the apparent intent from all the official rulings I've seen so far and it works semantically.
True, makes sense too. The player who played the Forged ID card mentioned that technically if he is immobilized he wouldn't be able to play Forged ID and convince the monster of anything, but we figured we shouldn't take the card too literally.