Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Mass Combat: Artillery Immovable?

I was looking through GURPS: Mass Combat and noticed that the Draft Team, Heavy Truck and Large APC all have T2 transport capacity, but Heavy Artillery and Heavy AAA are listed (according to the errata page) as WT 3. At first I thought this meant that the Heavy Arts and AAAs were simply "truly immobile" and had to stay wherever you built them--however, the Medium Lift Aircraft has T3 and the Heavy Lift Aircraft has a whopping T9! I would think if a plane can move something that heavy, surely there must be SOME kind of way to move artillery over land, even without putting it all on rails--right?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Mass Combat: Artillery Immovable?

Well, some way, sure. Get yourself something like a Space Shuttle Transporter, say. Or put it on rails.

Though given the description, heavy artillery and heavy AAA represent things that absolutely should be tow-able by normal means. That's right in the text, in fact. So giving stats that make that impossible seems like a mistake.

EDIT: Wait, I think you've got the wrong stats for the Heavy Truck. I just downloaded a copy of the PDF and it has T3, not T2. So that's all good, then.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
RyanW

I suppose it's meant to represent big guns like the M115 howitzer, that can't be moved by the typical "battlefield taxi" type trucks. It requires a specialized prime mover, like a militarized semi truck, or a heavy tracked vehicle. If Mass Combat lacks such vehicles, that's a problem.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

For weird, consider that a large APC is allowed to transport an HMMVW, light gun, or cavalry squad. Um.

(...Also, motor recon being weight 1 is presumably errata, since it's the same vehicle as the Light Truck or the Motor ATGM which are weight 2.)
Old 06-16-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
EDIT: Wait, I think you've got the wrong stats for the Heavy Truck. I just downloaded a copy of the PDF and it has T3, not T2. So that's all good, then.
Well it's not on the errata page... :(
Old 06-17-2016, 12:37 AM   #6
Tallor

Please help? :(
Old 06-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #7
Tallor

I was looking up Mass Combat errata and surprisingly, Ulz also found this issue!
Old 06-17-2016, 01:15 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Well it's not on the errata page... :(
The errata web pages are no longer maintained. Fixes go straight into the PDFs without appearing on the errata pages.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:04 AM   #9
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The errata web pages are no longer maintained. Fixes go straight into the PDFs without appearing on the errata pages.
That's actually pretty cool! Does it apply to Pyramid articles too? Juuuust in case there's any errata in the 1-year subscription I bought. :P
Old 06-17-2016, 03:16 AM   #10
Anders

I've had corrections announced for Pyramid, so yes.

Tags
aaa, artillery, mass combat, transport