Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-05-2018, 02:08 AM   #1
Erling

Default RPG systems as handgun cartridges

I was tinkering with GURPS firearms and suddenly came up with an idea that some RPG systems remind me of handgun rounds. Here are my musings:

GURPS is 10mm Auto. While some people used to believe it would become mainstream, it didn't and perhaps never will. Nevertheless it has some undeniable attractive qualities and strong following. Other trends come and pass, but 10mm retains its point. It can be loaded as mild as .40 S&W for self-defense (casual gaming) or as hot as .357 Magnum for boar hunting (hardcore gaming with lots of simulation). Most people say it's too much of a round (steeper learning curve). Other people use it for their advantage (higher complexity gives its benefits).

Savage Worlds is .40 S&W. It was marketed as a compromise round which draws the best features from two worlds – that of 9mm (systems with mild rules complexity) and that of .45 (formidable rulesets with lots of options and capability of being generic systems) – while being tamer and smaller than 10mm, and some people believe it does. At the same time it's often shuned by all three aforementioned lobbies altogether. .45 proponents say it's only marginally bigger than 9mm (doesn't have enough subsystems and options for tinkering) and has excessive recoil (not as neatly made as D&D). 9mm proponents say it's, well, only marginally bigger than 9mm and has exessive recoil. 10mm proponents say that it's watered down to the point of uselessness. It was popular with some serious people (there are many RPGs and settings (re)published as SaWo conversions) for a pretty long timespan, but it looks like it will never climb any higher. Most people with either go with something more powerful and versatile (10mm) or with something long-established (.45 or 9mm). Still, it does its job and sometimes it does hit the sweet spot.

D&D 3.5 is .45 ACP. Formidable, venerated, respected. Has a cult following and lots of versatility. Spawned many derivatives, from .45 ACP +P (Pathfinder) to uncanny things like .41 Avenger (OGL-based homebrew monsters).

Fate Core is 5.7x28mm. Relatively new and strange guy in the town. Most people don't take it seriously since it has rougly half the diameter of more traditional rounds (very brief and streamlines rules). Nevertheless its designers claim that their concept's effectiveness is based on laws of physics (on core gaming and storytelling principles) and it can beat the new challenges like piercing body armor (like streamlining the gaming process without watering it down to Magic Tea Party).

I'm not really sure which system suits the role of 9mm Luger best. Obviously it should be D&D Next since it's the most popular RPG in the world, but it hasn't been around for enough time.

Well, that's how I see it. Maybe you have another associations?
Wave your arms and shout.

Last edited by Erling; 06-05-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:36 AM   #2
copeab

Default Re: RPG systems as handgun cartridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post

Fate Core is 5.7x28mm.
What is Fudge?

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:50 AM   #3
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
D&D 3.5 is .45 ACP. Formidable, venerated, respected. Has a cult following and lots of versatility. Spawned many derivatives, from .45 ACP +P (Pathfinder) to uncanny things like .41 Avenger (OGL-based homebrew monsters).
I'm surprised that AD&D 1ED doesn't get the role of .45ACP ... or is that more .44-40 Winchester?

So who gets to be 9mm Parabellum? I might have given that one to the d20 OGL system generally given the shared resemblance to beach sand.

Perhaps FATAL can be one of those perverse attempts to chamber a longarm cartridge into a pistol that is best known for injuring the user?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:45 AM   #4
Erling

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
What is Fudge?
.22 SCAMP or .22 WMR.

Quote:
I'm surprised that AD&D 1ED doesn't get the role of .45ACP ... or is that more .44-40 Winchester?
Yep, or maybe .44 American or .38 S&W.
Wave your arms and shout.

Last edited by Erling; 06-05-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
RyanW

D&D is .38 Special (the most popular revolver cartridge in the world). That would make earlier editions .38 Long Colt, and before that .38 Short Colt. Chainmail is .36 caliber cap and ball.

In my version, class and level systems are revolvers, and point buy systems are automatics.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
D&D is .38 Special (the most popular revolver cartridge in the world). That would make earlier editions .38 Long Colt, and before that .38 Short Colt. Chainmail is .36 caliber cap and ball.

In my version, class and level systems are revolvers, and point buy systems are automatics.
Does that make Traveller and similar life-path systems gyrojet? You could also use derringer for very primitive systems like "Advanced" Fighting Fantasy.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Does that make Traveller and similar life-path systems gyrojet?
That, or maybe that weird Dardick pistol with the triangle bullets.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
tanksoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post

D&D 3.5 is 357 Magnum.... 4e is .45 Rimmed or 45 GAP... 5e is .327 Federal Magnum.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 06-05-2018 at 10:34 PM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

What is lasers and feelings?

And what is paranoia?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
What is lasers and feelings?

And what is paranoia?
No idea bout the first one, the second is surely a water pistol loaded with acid or something...

Maybe we could use BRP for 9mm P ... ?
What about the Palladium system? Something that over promises and is prone to fouling?