Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #51
Litvyak

Default Re: Playing GURPS with Fantasy Grounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
I'm running 3.2.3 myself.

Thing is? Why would it fail to work with your version of GURPS and the older one still works?

I almost wish I could go back to version 3.2.2 just to see if that makes the difference...
When you first start your campaign, you should see the FG logo in the chat box and the words "CoreRPG ruleset v3.2.2 for Fantasy Grounds" next to it. Is your version of CoreRPG current?
Old 03-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #52
Ronnke

Quote:
I'm running 3.2.3 myself.

Thing is? Why would it fail to work with your version of GURPS and the older one still works?

I almost wish I could go back to version 3.2.2 just to see if that makes the difference...
When FG loads up, the version numbers that appear in the chat window I have are:

GURPS 4E core ruleset v3.0.5
CoreRPG ruleset v 3.2.2

The GURPS ruleset is a core ruleset so it requires the current version of CoreRPG to be available. Your last copy`n`paste shows you have CoreRPG v3.1.7.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #53
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
When FG loads up, the version numbers that appear in the chat window I have are:

CoreRPG ruleset v 3.2.2

The GURPS ruleset is a core ruleset so it requires the current version of CoreRPG to be available. Your last copy`n`paste shows you have CoreRPG v3.1.7.
That's odd
you're right, it does show that in the chat log. 3.1.7 is the version that is showing in chat

But when the program starts up, (wish I could show you a screen print of the start up before I load a campaign), it sais V.3.2.3 Ultimate

I wonder why/how that happens?
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #54
Litvyak

Quote:
That's odd
you're right, it does show that in the chat log. 3.1.7 is the version that is showing in chat

But when the program starts up, (wish I could show you a screen print of the start up before I load a campaign), it sais V.3.2.3 Ultimate

I wonder why/how that happens?
3.2.3 Ultimate is the version of the Fantasy Grounds executable you're running. 3.1.7 is the version of CoreRPG. For whatever reason your copy of FG is updating, but not your rulesets. I'd check your settings and make sure that your app and data directories are set correctly and that your username is filled in under the Fantasy Grounds Store Purchases section.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #55
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
3.2.3 Ultimate is the version of the Fantasy Grounds executable you're running. 3.1.7 is the version of CoreRPG. For whatever reason your copy of FG is updating, but not your rulesets. I'd check your settings and make sure that your app and data directories are set correctly and that your username is filled in under the Fantasy Grounds Store Purchases section.
Hi Litvyak,
This was one clue I needed to resolve the issue. I had thought that the updating process included expanding out the .pak files associated with everything. Turns out, that was not happening even though I was getting the proper CoreRPG.pak file on my machine.

Now that I've updated everything? It looks and works BEAUTIFULLY.

Thank you all for your help and your patience. WHEW!!!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #56
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post

CoreRPG ruleset v 3.2.2

This was the other clue I needed to get to where I had to go. Thanks Ronnke!

When I loaded up FG2 with your version of GURPS, BOY did it change the appearance of the whole thing. More "Shield" icons with more stuff showing than either two of the versions in 3.1.7 showed. Sweet!

Thanks again for the skull sweat you put into this.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 PM   #57
Ronnke

Quote:
Thanks again for the skull sweat you put into this.
Glad it's now working. +1
Old 05-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #58
fantell

ok, so, Ronnke, I have a confession to make. I kind of found and stole your work from githhub sometime in the first half of last year, and bastardized a semi-working copy of the character sheet, well enough that I switched all my games over to it by hand. It was hands down a massive improvement over the old character sheet.

Mind you, that's not an apology, just an admission of guilt. I'd do it again if I had to, though now that this is out officially and with more function, I'm super excited to be using it.

I'm glad to have it working so smoothly, with so many features that make stacking modifiers easy to add to a roll.

My wizard players are loving the spell note tags, they can copy-paste spell descriptions in every time they cast a spell for the first time and never need look it up more than once.

The fighters are loving the dropdown menus for modifiers on the weapons, both for damage and modifiers.

I love it because I can easily add notes directly to the characters sheets about various things that only matter to that character.

NPC character sheets are brilliant. only problem I have now is that I was using the old version for so long that I never put the NPC's in fantasy grounds any more. I just made up numbers for each fight as I went, and had at most a few lines written down afterwards for each NPC that might be a recurring character.

now that I've said all that, I almost feel a little ungrateful for saying this next bit (Almost, anyway):

I don't suppose there is any chance of you implementing the range modifier on the pointer like it was on the old one? It was handy not having to actually look sideways at my awkwardly placed GM screen every other round to double check myself. If not, no matter, but it is the ONE thing that I miss from the old product.
fantell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #59
hal

What you can do, is organize "Notes" such that some are public notes that anyone can view from their screens, and private notes that only the GM can view. You can set up tables on the Notes Section such that you can have your own GM notes for range/speed modifiers, etc.

You can also create random tables for 3d6 (or any other dice combination for that matter) that allows you to have references for fright checks, or Social Engineering etc.

In short - FG2 allows for some wicked levels of organization if the GM is so inclined. I've been organizing Night City for use with a GURPS CYBERPUNK campaign with just those ideas in mind.

Hell, if you wanted to, you could create a "Store" that has individual items listed, along with weights and coin costs etc - and use those "items" as party treasure. The player then buys the item, and adds it to their character sheet via the party treasure split.

Email me privately if you want more ideas on what you can do to organize things. In addition, if you go into CAMPAIGNS folder for your ongoing campaign, you can view not only the log of the game run itself, but you can also view what your XML files look like as you add more things to your notes, story, etc. The NPC section is a GODSEND for organizing NPC's...

Hal
Old 05-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #60
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantell View Post
I don't suppose there is any chance of you implementing the range modifier on the pointer like it was on the old one? It was handy not having to actually look sideways at my awkwardly placed GM screen every other round to double check myself. If not, no matter, but it is the ONE thing that I miss from the old product.
On the thread for the ruleset over on the Fantasy Grounds forum, there is a wishlist of the features planned or in development. You will be pleased to know range ruler will be back. At this point, it is likely to be in the next release, which will also feature the new GURPS skin. As a workaround a list of range modifiers works well.

Tags
virtual tabletop, virtual tabletops