Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
Buzzardo

Default Removing the steam from Ogres

I didn't want to (further) derail the minis thread by talking about nuclear power without steam, so here's a new thread.

It is apparently possible to dispense with the steam generator and get electricity. Here's one article on the subject. That technique goes through photons rather than steam as the intermediate step. Assuming increases in efficiency (as usually happens with technology) or perhaps other methods might make it possible for Ogres (and other devices in the Ogreverse) to get power directly from nuclear reactions (fusion reactions in the case of the Ogreverse), it should be possible to dispense with steam. That's gotta involve lower weight and be more robust than packing around a bunch of water (or sodium or whatever) and all the associated piping.

Just a thought. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?

Last edited by Buzzardo; 11-28-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Fixed a sentence fragment
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Removing the steam from Ogres

Quote:
Now, University of Missouri researchers are developing an energy conversion system that uses relatively safe isotopes to generate high-grade energy.
This kind of statement always makes me smile/cringe/giggle
Old 11-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
This kind of statement always makes me smile/cringe/giggle
I think "relatively safe" fits perfectly into the Ogreverse. This a universe in which people have adopted the idea of firing nuclear shells from automatic weapons. I'm sure those nukes are "relatively clean"....

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
That's gotta involve lower weight and be more robust than packing around a bunch of water (or sodium or whatever) and all the associated piping.
Not really. A lot of 'more efficient' technologies are also less efficient in other ways. I mean, thermoelectric generators already exist and don't use steam, but they're not a design you'd pick for very many purposes (they have uses aboard space probes).

Incidentally, the referenced system appears to be a form of RTG, not a form of nuclear reactor, and like all RTGs, has extremely low power density.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Obviously it's a joke, but I wonder if that's still true for something like an Ogre. Assuming the power plant is _not_ doing it with steam, how else could it be doing it?
The liquid fluoride thorium reactor designs often have a closed Brayton cycle turbine. Low pressure, no steam, and the fission happens at standard pressure in a liquid salt bath. (In Ogre, I guess the lower levels of radioactive waste aren't a big selling point.)

You could use the same for driving a turbine from fusion heat. BPC would be handy for that.

Or the Ogre Universe's superior materials science could make better thermoelectric generators. BPC insulation might help a lot.

If you're up for purified handwavium, give them radioelectric generators and skip the conversion to and from heat.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
That technique goes through photons rather than steam as the intermediate step.
This reminds me of the 'Nuclear Lightbulb' drive from GURPS Spaceships. It uses the photons to heat reaction mass. :)
Old 11-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #7
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
This reminds me of the 'Nuclear Lightbulb' drive from GURPS Spaceships. It uses the photons to heat reaction mass. :)
The article mentions nuclear lightbulbs, in fact.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #8
ColBosch

Checking the Ogre cutaway poster, we see big "drive units" flanking the reactor in the belly. This suggests that it uses some form of nuclear turbine. To me, it makes sense to keep things mechanical.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
Mack_JB

I sorta like the idea of an Ogre released a huge plume of radioactive steam as a "fog of war" and deterrent ... not necessarily with onboard water, of course, a simple syphon from a nearby stream would do.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I sorta like the idea of an Ogre released a huge plume of radioactive steam as a "fog of war" and deterrent ... not necessarily with onboard water, of course, a simple syphon from a nearby stream would do.
The same cutaway poster shows exhaust vents. Just sayin'.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote