Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #11
larsdangly

Default Re: THE FANTASY TRIP - *KickStarter Campaign* Schedule

I think the ideal set of things to place on the map would be hexagonally shaped terrain overlays of various sizes (a'la 1E Dragonquest, or Squad Leader), and flat cardboard markers for combatants, in the same scale and style as the originals. I really dont like the cardboard heroes style of paper markers - they are cheesy, fall over easily and take up tons of space on the board. Miniatures could be great if they are great, or pointless if they are not - the market is full of miniatures, so I'll judge new ones by how they stack up against the stuff on my shelf.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #12
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

To answer the original question by not answering it - We have not settled on any dates yet.

I also need to get a webmaster's help and change the TFT FAQ now that we know a little more/different about what we plan to do. The initial sets will NOT contain minis - they will contain flat counters in the original style.

Will later sets contain minis? Maybe.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #13
JLV

YAY! For flat counters!!!!

That works just fine for me!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #14
Dave Crowell

Yay flat counters from me too!
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:00 AM   #15
Chris Rice

I have no problem with flat counters as long as they are:

Larger than the originals. Made of thicker cardstock. Have updated (colour) artwork.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing but to be honest the originals were flimsy, fiddly and not easy to differentiate.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #16
Rick_Smith

Default Quality of original counters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I have no problem with flat counters as long as they are:

Larger than the originals. Made of thicker cardstock. Have updated (colour) artwork.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing but to be honest the originals were flimsy, fiddly and not easy to differentiate.
Hi Everyone, Chris.
The counters should be...

-- Larger than the originals. I disagree. They fit on the hexes. If you made them much bigger they wouldn't. And I have no desire to make the hexes bigger, all of my current 7 hex spiders, 14 hex dragons, 7 hex hydras, etc. fit on the current sized hexes.

-- Made of thicker cardstock. Sure. Anything from 1 to 2 mm thick would be great. Anything thicker than that is fine, but seems an unneeded expense.

-- Color artwork. Sure.

-- Not easy to differentiate. Really? The art on the Death Test counters used very fine lines which looked muddy, more than the printer could handle. But the counters in the original Melee and Wizard were fine. I ended up getting 3 or four copies of both Melee and Wizard so I have a lot of duplicates. Many woman with bell bottoms and 2 handed swords. Many Wizards in long robes. So if each counter was unique, the number of duplicates (if you ended up buying a few copies), would be reduced.

-- And a new one: Printing two sided. A healthy guy on one side and a fallen body on the other would be nice but not needed. If you do so I would be fine with it. If you decide it is too expensive I won't miss it.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #17
Jim Kane
Banned

What about putting the Individual Weapon Counters on full-sized counters - as opposed to those little tiny 1/2, 1/4, and 1/6th sized counters - which I can't see, can't handle without tweezers, and leave me afraid to breathe around them when they are in-play on the map.

Thoughts?

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 03-27-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Clairity
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #18
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
What about putting the Individual Weapon Counters on full-sized counters - as opposed to those little tiny 1/2, 1/4, and 1/6th sized counters - which I can't see, can't handle without tweezers, and leave me afraid to breathe around them when they are in-play on the map. ...JK
Hi all, Jim.
If the cardboard was thicker, they would be less likely to blow around.

I think a full sized counter for a dropped weapon is too big. Counters that are 1/4 size would be fine as far as I'm concerned.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #19
GlennDoren

I agree re: the original Melee counters being a great style and very iconic, bell-bottoms included. Frankly, I never saw them as "bell bottoms" 70s-style until I recently saw them described as that. I just thought they were a style to add a little more meat to them on those tiny counters, while adding a more iconic feel (rather than just mini "lifelike" drawings).

As for the weapon counters--the original micro-sized weapon counters were pretty ridiculous, even when i had tiny kid fingers.

I realize the mini-box won't support this, but it would be pretty nice to have sturdy mounted map boards, perhaps bigger hexes, that allow bigger higher-quality counters, as well as full-size weapon counters (or, if the normal counters are big enough, half-counters that aren't hopeless to handle).

If the mini-box supports a larger map that is split into 4 mounted boards, that would be pretty nice. And would allow high quality counters. And I don't need a ton of color on the counters... maybe just a few basic colors to offer the artist some palette to work with, while still maintaining a more iconic look like the original melee counters.

OR... maybe offer an optional board/counters pack so I can buy my deluxe high-quality components... and keep the starter melee/wizard starter kits inexpensive. You could even provide a smaller starter set of the high quality counters with a folding map in the starter kits... and offer the sturdy mounted maps and more counters as one or more optional packs. I just saw the D&D Dungeon Tiles yesterday at a local store--something comparable to that for TFT.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #20
JLV

Overall, I think the size of the original character counters was fine. I could agree with bigger dropped weapon counters (the size of regular wargame counters, 1/2 inch to 5/8ths of an inch, would be just fine, SPI did that with DragonQuest, and I imported many of those counters over to my original set of TFT material back in the day -- alas, all gone now).

I'm sure, with Liz Danforth on the job, the counter art will be magnificent. And easy to differentiate too...

Sturdier cardstock would be great, but given the economics of the minigame format, I'll settle with whatever SJG goes with.

Two-sided printing? Absolutely -- the backs of counters that are not printed on are a wasted opportunity to provide more value to the game. Of course, they are also an increased cost factor...

I second the motion of a "Deluxe Board and Counter Set" being produced at some point...but even if it's not a qualitative improvement over whatever ships with Melee and Wizard, I think such an idea would be well worth considering -- as an opportunity to provide new board shapes and new counters (maybe, finally, that 14-hex dragon??? Pretty please???)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote