Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
mook

Default Lulu POD - GURPS Basic Results

Howdy Folks,

Many moons ago, I had a print shop put together a combined Basic Set for me.

This time around I had Lulu do it, and the results are awesome! (Pics here). Watching Print on Demand technology and services much more closely now.

If you've got the coin, you can pretty much put together your own dream GURPS library from the PDFs you've got. :)

Last edited by mook; 07-31-2017 at 11:39 PM.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Dammann

Default Re: Lulu POD - GURPS Basic Results

Very cool! I prefer to use an iPad most of the time, personally, but I know that a lot of people would rather hold a book with pages. I can see some benefits, myself, like the old finger holding my place while I look for something else. With so many titles out of print but freely available in pdf, this could incline some people to give pdf a second look.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

That looks really nice. It makes me want to do a Dungeon Fantasy Ombinus. All 15 DF books + Monsters 1, Adventure 1, Pyramid 36 & 50, and a few articles from Pyramid 4, 10, & 13. Throw in my DF On the Cheap and it comes in at 763 pages. Can do the whole thing on Lulu for under $45. Which really makes me want to do the Omnibus now.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Yeah, this looks pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing, Mook!

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
mook

My pleasure. I was pretty psyched about it! If I ever find my first one now, I'll probably spit on it and throw it in the fireplace (take that Kinko's!).

Well, no -- I would probably just pony up for another PDF set. I'm too...particular to just trash it. But in the back of my mind I would resent finding it. :P

Totally want to save for a "Tech" set now! (From my post: "Low Tech + the three Companions + Instant Armor + Fantasy-Tech 1 in 'Tech: Volume 1,' and High-Tech, Ultra-Tech, and Bio-Tech in 'Tech: Volume 2'"). That would be sweet.

I look forward to the day if/when SJG does their own POD, so I can throw even more money at them. But the "sliver of white" issue with the margins is, I imagine, exactly the kind of thing that is keeping them out for now.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
I look forward to the day if/when SJG does their own POD, so I can throw even more money at them. But the "sliver of white" issue with the margins is, I imagine, exactly the kind of thing that is keeping them out for now.
That, and maybe the expense of color--which is coming down. I would no longer assume that color is prohibitively expensive. Always ask; you may be pleasantly surprised. (This is coming from my experience at work: color copy cost came down significant with the acquisition of their latest batch of copy machines.)

PS Mook rules!

Last edited by Captain Joy; 06-27-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: added "Mook rules!", because he does
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Woodman

As a further money saving tip, I had good results with reducing the Layout to a pagesize of an A5 sheet (I used my A4 Duplex Laserprinter to get booklets I bound myself). The smaller size makes the books realy handy, the Basic Set e.g. is about the size of a big hardcover novel.
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
mook

Mmm, interesting - digest-sized! I'd love to see a pic or two if you ever get a chance.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
Woodman

I'm about to move and my books are allready packed away, but I found this pictures I took for a guide on how to bind your own books on my HD http://i.imgur.com/2UjE0O7.jpg For Size Reference, the Page is standard A4 copy paper.
And the finished book http://i.imgur.com/svmj4rE.jpg the squares on the mat are roughly 1cm
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
mook

Nice! Thanks for posting, that's damn cool. I was a little concerned about the page size, but it looks just fine for reading.

Tags
lulu, print on demand