Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
Pseudonym

Default Re: Innate Attack Projectile Based On Completely Inappropriate Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
(Does Dark Souls even have a notion of character skill?)
I feel like I'm agreeing with everything you say, but just to answer that question... you could say mechanically that there is not a "skill" stat, but all weapons require minimum investments in certain attributes, or they fumble, stumble, or somehow otherwise use the weapon in a way that will get you killed; The attributes being less fine grain than GURPS, one could potentially extrapolate a point in Dark Souls dexterity to a piece of a dexterity level with basic speed held back, and some points in a Weapons! wildcard skill...

if you were truly going for a 1:1 conversion of the entire system, and had the ability to simulate the discrete probability distribution of three six-sided dice as a continuous function so that stats like 10.3 dexterity and 1.25 levels of Weapons! made sense.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Any thoughts?
Perk. I even think there's a RAW one called Skill Substitution or something.

Usually it's meant to make non-combat skill combat-useful, e.g. by allowing Dancing to be used for Feints or whatever, so your usage isn't at all stretching any precedents.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
Pseudonym

Well, this is what I came up with.
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2015/1...yer-spear.html

I didn't see Peter's post until just now, but if that is RAW, it would only probably bump the price up about $640 and one EP.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:28 AM   #14
Zeta Blaze

There is a huge problem with all these suggestions to damage the weapon as part of its use cost while it is true that this is mechanically like what happens in darksouls it is not an accurate translation of the rules because all weapons take damage on any hit and all projectile launchers on each shot so unless the damage per shot is high for a dark souls weapon this is highly inappropriate to translate. Generally i would put this below the resolution of the system but a more accurate representation is that the weapon has the requires maintenance limitation based on time used as a weapon and time in rough field conditions. Normally in GURPS such maintenance is required but assumed for mundane equipment anyway but is to boring to call out so i would feel fine just drooping it.
Zeta Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:44 AM   #15
Aldric

Any chance of making them charges or shots ? ^_^
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #16
Pseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta Blaze View Post
There is a huge problem with all these suggestions to damage the weapon as part of its use cost while it is true that this is mechanically like what happens in darksouls it is not an accurate translation of the rules because all weapons take damage on any hit and all projectile launchers on each shot so unless the damage per shot is high for a dark souls weapon this is highly inappropriate to translate. Generally i would put this below the resolution of the system but a more accurate representation is that the weapon has the requires maintenance limitation based on time used as a weapon and time in rough field conditions. Normally in GURPS such maintenance is required but assumed for mundane equipment anyway but is to boring to call out so i would feel fine just drooping it.
The damage per shot is incredibly high when done this way in Dark Souls. You can break a weapon beyond usefulness in a handful of shots. It can be damaged (eg, works, but not that good, requires *inexpensive* repairs) in 10 shots, and becomes totally useless without major repairs (that actually almost cost as much in Dark Souls as in GURPS) in 15. Those parameters mean it can be exhausted into uselessness easily in one stretch of gameplay (from a bonfire to another) if used without care. I changed it from 15 maximum to about 5 based on... gut feelings of how I use limited powers in a GURPS campaign. I consider giving it an energy supply, but the weapon shouldn't work in any capacity if exhausted, not even to fight.

I agree that the .25% (not 25%, .25%) per regular hit is beyond the resolution of GURPS, but a weapon breaking to the point of becoming unusable in any context and requiring a not so insignificant amount of money and expertise to repair in maybe 2 to 5 battles is not below the resolution.

Tags
enchantment, innate attack