Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
Fred Brackin

Default Re: What use is Suppression Fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncarryer View Post
I
So, is there some crucial aspect of these rules that we're missing, or do we need extensive house-ruling to make covering and suppression fire have the desired effect (i.e. keeping the enemy's head down)?
I believe this actually wasn't that good a situation for Suppression Fire. That's primarily for discouraging the enemy from making his own Pop-Up Attacks of intiating Movement.

I'd guess your snipers weren't behind Cover but rather had only Concealment (or use of Camoflage Skill). If they don't have any Cover they can't drop back down behind it.

By doctrine many snipers would move to a new postion when taking fire but that's a long-term thing and if preventing the opponents from recovering theri supplies (or whatever was in the trailer) before they get out of Dodge in their APC was important enough the snipers might have kept on shooting.

The Cool under Fire rules are no panacea in thsi situation. The +5 to Fright Checks for heat of battle would apply and probably another +1 for being beyond 100 yards. Even with a -2 for probable ROF and maybe another -2 for near miss that's still a positive bonus.

It also might be important if these were "real" snipers rather than just grunts taking semi-auto fire from Concealment. A fully trained sniper is a higher pt character than a basic soldier and the more training and/or base cp the less Fright Checks should be expected to affect the target.

I might criticize the GM for not havng the snipers switrch targets to the new shooters but that's about it.

Tags
rules, suppression fire