Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
floats09

Default I say I'm going to "Bard" somebody into helping, what if cursed before I roll

Okay, this is hard to find if somebody already answered it.

Say I'm a Bard and I announce I'm going to try to enthrall someone into helping me. I pick up my die to roll it, but just then, someone plays a "Lose your Class" curse.

In the rules, it says curses happen immediately, but don't we resolve my Bard ability first since I stated I was using it?
floats09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
floats09

Default Re: I say I'm going to "Bard" somebody into helping, what if cursed before I roll

I think I might have found the answer somewhere, but it looks like if I say I want to enthrall BEFORE the player casts the "lose class" card, that I get to do the ability. BUT, if the player knows I'm thinking about it but I haven't declared it yet, he could cast it and I lose the Bard card.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
Clipper

Default Re: I say I'm going to "Bard" somebody into helping, what if cursed before I roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by floats09 View Post
I think I might have found the answer somewhere, but it looks like if I say I want to enthrall BEFORE the player casts the "lose class" card, that I get to do the ability. BUT, if the player knows I'm thinking about it but I haven't declared it yet, he could cast it and I lose the Bard card.
Yep, that's correct. Whoever plays the card or announces the action first gets to resolve the card or action before the next one is played.

Edit: Oops, forgot that if the action has a cost, then that is the trigger, not the announcement, as per MM's correction below.

Last edited by Clipper; 07-28-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

It depends on whether you have paid the cost or not. If you have discarded card in order to pay to use an ability, you get to resolve that ability first. Just announcing the desire to use an ability is not necessarily enough to prevent people from Cursing you such that you lose that ability before you use it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
floats09

Okay, but maybe this is semantics, but if I announce I'm going to do an ability, like the enthrall, and I'm reaching for a card that I'm going to discard to use that ability, are you telling me a player could still curse me to lose my class and I can't do it?

If that's the case then I would have to just stay quiet as I'm reaching for a card to discard... THEN when it's on the discard pile announce I'm enthralling somebody??

Seems wonky to me.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Bampop

If you say it as your hand is coming down to the table with your discard, I'd rule in your favor. If someone is tossing down a Curse in the 2 seconds it took you to announce and discard, they were probably going to curse you anyway.

With some of the people I play with, even if someone had discarded the cards and then the other player tried to play the curse, we'd let them, and everyone would have a good laugh at the clever play. We'd never pull that in a tournament, or playing with strangers, but as long as no one is getting hurt or angry, there's always lots of "you'll be sorry" moments to be had.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Clipper

It's somewhat unsporting for someone to race you by playing a card as they see you are reaching for the discard pile, but that's the way the rule goes for official play. This is one of the rules that I house rule to be a bit fairer to the less dextrous players, especially with people that haven't played before.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Pax

Humm, that's an interesting question.

But yeah it appears as though whichever card hits the discard pile first would win. But that IMHO is kinda silly.

Normally you would declare what you are doing and then pay the cost, in that order. The only counter to someone quick on the draw would be to pay the cost first or at the same time as your declaration.

Just 'feels' backward or strange.
*Places card on discard pile* Oh that's me barding you.

Personally I would say that significant motion of playing the card would be enough to prevent 'counterspells'. Like declaring the your action while separating one card from the rest in your hand towards the discard piles.

Munchkin shouldn't be about who is faster at moving their hands. Plus if it's who wins to the discard pile, the person closest to the piles would have a (ridiculously tiny) advantage.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
thedag

If I am a thief trying to steal something I will announce I am attempting to steal as I am discarding the card. Same if I'm backstabbing someone. If done this way then anyone who beats you as said earlier was going to curse you anyway so no difference there. If someone decides to curse you in response to your announcement then they are not going to be able to curse you before you discard your card.
I do not understand why some people seem to think the announcement and discarding must be seperate things.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
floats09

Well, here's an example:

Ranger fighting a level 20.

Player has to decide 5 cards to discard. Does he have to secretly pick them out and once (in his head) he knows the 5 cards, he has to be like Flash from the comics and quickly grab all 5 cards and slam them down on the discard pile? Seems unreasonable to me. MAYBE it should be something like, "Hey, I'm taming the monster" and as long as one card has been discarded the player is in the "process" of taming so can't be cursed to lose his class.

The argument that "the person was going to curse you anyway" is not valid because there have been plenty of times I was teetering on the idea.

Hmmmmm