Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Atilme

Default [Character] Ra Messenger

Hey guys, I made this character to see if I could, partly because I wanted to see how character creation in GURPS worked, and partly because I just felt like making him. Any feedback would be appreciated. He's not for a specific campaign, just for me really, although I'd love to play him eventually.

Name: Ra Messenger
Species: Human

Attributes:

* ST 11 [10]

* DX 14 [80]

* IQ 10

* HT 14 [40]

Secondary Attributes:

* HP 11

* FP 14

* Will 10

* Per 14

* Basic Speed 7

* Basic Move 7

* Ground Move 7

* Water Move 1

Social Background:

* TL 8

* Cultural Familiarity: Western (Native)

* Language: English (Native; Native)

Advantages:

* Absolute Timing [2]
* Acute Hearing 1 [2]
* Combat Reflexes [15]
* High Pain Threshold [10]
* Danger Sense [15]
* Serendipity 1 [15]
* Talent (Musical Ability) 4 [20]
* Perfect Balance [15]
* Peripheral Vision [15]

Perks:

* Citizenship (United States of America)
* Sexual Orientation (Heterosexual)
* Reputation (Jock) 1 - (Highschool), x0.33; (10-), x0.5. [1]

Disadvantages:

* Absent-Mindedness [-15]
* Clueless [-10]
* Curious - CR: 12. [-5]
* Easy to Read [-10]
* Enemy (Girlfriend's Ex) - Equal, -10; (9-), x1; Rival, x0.5. [-5]
* Gullibility - CR: 12. [-10]
* Honesty - CR: 12. [-10]
* Reputation (Promiscuous) 2 - (Highschool), x0.33; Recognized all the time, x1. [-3]
* Sense of Duty - Family and Friends, -5. [-5]
* Sense of Duty - Girlfriend, -2. [-2]
* Truthfulness - CR: 12. [-5]

Quirks:

* Broad-Minded [-1]
* Distractible [-1]
* Dreamer [-1]
* Forgetful [-1]
* Minor Addiction (Music) [-1]

Skills:

Acrobatics [12] DX+0 +4
Brawling [14] DX+2 +4
Climbing [12] DX+0 +2
Musical Instrument (Drums) [14] IQ+4 +4
Running [12] HT+0 +2
Sports (Soccer) [12] DX+0 +2

I'm new to the forums and to GURPS, so any help you can give would be great. I've already had a guy look over it, but the more the merrier right?

Last edited by Atilme; 05-20-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: PDF -> Text
Atilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: [Character] Ra Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilme View Post
Hey guys
Hey.

Quote:
I'm new to the forums and to GURPS, so any help you can give would be great. I've already had a guy look over it, but the more the merrier right?
You may get more results if you post the stats here directly. No offense, but this forum gets a lot of spambots and nobody's going to download a pdf from somebody who just joined this month.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Atilme

Oh, sorry 'bout that. I didn't know. Thanks for the advice!
I'll just edit the top post then.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Name: Ra Messenger
Hippie parents, eh?

Quote:
Perks:
Citizenship (United States of America)
Sexual Orientation (Heterosexual)
I wouldn't normally charge a point for either of these, unless it's a very unusual setting...

Quote:
Reputation (Promiscuous) 2 - (Highschool), x0.33; Recognized all the time, x1. [-3]
Is this really a Disadvantage for a male athlete in high school? Let's face it, he's coming from a culture that encourages and praises that sort of thing.

Quote:
Sense of Duty - Family and Friends, -5. [-5]
Sense of Duty - Girlfriend, -2. [-2]
I'd personally call this double-dipping.

Quote:
Absent-Mindedness [-15]
Forgetful [-1]
Definitely double-dipping.

Overview: You seem to have the basics down. It's a solid write-up without any real mistakes, heavily optimized for athleticism but not two-dimensional. I could see him as a viable PC in many campaign types, from Action/Survival to Harem Comedy.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Hippie parents, eh?
Must be. The true cognoscenti know that the Messengers of Ra are ostriches. :)

Taking pity on the newbie I will explain that this relates to an unusual campaign I ran for a long time and posted about in various forums.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
Atilme

Quote:
Hippie parents, eh?
Actually, I just went with the first name I liked. It's hard for me to come up with names for characters, so when I do, I tend to stick with them, and damn the consequences. Although, I probably should have an explanation for why his parents named him that.

Quote:
I wouldn't normally charge a point for either of these, unless it's a very unusual setting...
I didn't, actually. I just put them there because I saw another character sheet do it. Horrible reason, I know, but forgive me =P

Quote:
Is this really a Disadvantage for a male athlete in high school? Let's face it, he's coming from a culture that encourages and praises that sort of thing.
Yeah, you're right. In the campaign that I'm playing him in, we wouldn't run into anyone from my highschool anyway, so the GM told me that they were worth zero points, but I can get why it would more than likely an advantage to the male population.

Quote:
I'd personally call this double-dipping.
Definitely double-dipping.
You're right. I didn't notice the second one, but that too. I've since fixed it.

Quote:
Overview: You seem to have the basics down. It's a solid write-up without any real mistakes, heavily optimized for athleticism but not two-dimensional. I could see him as a viable PC in many campaign types, from Action/Survival to Harem Comedy.
Thanks for the feedback! It's very much appreciated. I didn't notice that he was optimized for anything, let alone athleticism, but I suppose he is isn't he? I'm actually going to run him in a campaign now, which is dystopian future + Virtual Reality. The GM says that it's going to be mostly puzzle solving, figuring out what you need to do in each "layer" and then doing it. So that's gonna be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Must be. The true cognoscenti know that the Messengers of Ra are ostriches. :)

Taking pity on the newbie I will explain that this relates to an unusual campaign I ran for a long time and posted about in various forums.
Heh, I don't know if Hippy parents is going to cover it, but I'll think about it. That must have been a pretty awesome campaign though =P

Any more criticism is appreciated and welcome, and you have my thanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
I didn't, actually. I just put them there because I saw another character sheet do it. Horrible reason, I know, but forgive me =P
"Perk" is a specific game term for 1-point Advantages... Anything that you want to note that costs 0 points is referred to as a "Feature."

Quote:
I didn't notice that he was optimized for anything, let alone athleticism, but I suppose he is isn't he? I'm actually going to run him in a campaign now, which is dystopian future + Virtual Reality. The GM says that it's going to be mostly puzzle solving, figuring out what you need to do in each "layer" and then doing it.
Yeah, with 14s in DX and HT and the skills you selected, he's probably the best kid at Soccer, Gymnastics, and Track at his school, and will easily outdo most people in tasks relating to coordination or endurance. With Basic Speed 7.0, he'll also "go first" usually, and Combat Reflexes goes a long way toward eliminating the threat of surprise. Fanatical Stat Normalizers will scream about all of the above, but the moderates among us are placated by a simple acknowledgement that he's highly unusual if the setting is realistic.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #8
Atilme

Quote:
"Perk" is a specific game term for 1-point Advantages... Anything that you want to note that costs 0 points is referred to as a "Feature."
Gotcha, I'll be sure to change that in my character sheet for the campaign I'm running, thanks!

Quote:
Yeah, with 14s in DX and HT and the skills you selected, he's probably the best kid at Soccer, Gymnastics, and Track at his school, and will easily outdo most people in tasks relating to coordination or endurance. With Basic Speed 7.0, he'll also "go first" usually, and Combat Reflexes goes a long way toward eliminating the threat of surprise. Fanatical Stat Normalizers will scream about all of the above, but the moderates among us are placated by a simple acknowledgement that he's highly unusual if the setting is realistic.
Heh, realistically he's probably more of a 12 in each, though I want him to be special. Is that wrong? XD
Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Heh, realistically he's probably more of a 12 in each, though I want him to be special. Is that wrong? XD
It's okay in most campaigns. Hopefully in this one too.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:41 AM   #10
Rasmus Wagner

If he has e negative reputation for promiscuity as a male highschooler, that means he'll sleep with anybody. Your girlfriend. Your sister. Your mom. Blind chicks, fat chicks, crying chicks who just got dumped, falling-down-drunk chicks.