Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Stoob

Default CWC2.5 Errata for Junk Dropper

I thought I would publish this helpful info here, a response from SJG regarding the Green and Black Car Wars Compendium 2.5 Junk Dropper

My email...
Quote:
> for Car Wars Compendium catalog #7142, 2 Ed. 5 Printing
>
> On page(s) 51 + 137
> I've got the green and black CWC2, correction on the number there...it's catalog #7142 published in '98.
>
> I'm looking at the chart on pages 51 and 137 of my book, and it does say a JD (Junk Dropper) is $50, 25lbs and 1 space unloaded. 5 ammo capacity. CPS and WPS are $0 and 25lbs. L$ listed is $50 and LWt is 125 lbs.
>
> This is totally different from what it says on page 101, in the text, where the WPS is 10 lbs and ammo capacity 10.
And from SJG...
Quote:
The info in the text might have been what was intended by the designer, but the info in the charts would be what actually got playtested and has been used since then by players. Consider the charts to be the definitive data.
They further noted that since the game is no longer in print they would not publish this errata unless it was re-released. That's why I posted the response from SJG games here in the forum.
Stoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: CWC2.5 Errata for Junk Dropper

Except of course that the data from the table results in an inconsistency as 25lb + 5 shots at 25 lb gives a loaded weight of 150 lb not 125 lb. The data from the description is internally consistent with 25 lb plus ten shots at 10 lb giving the stated loaded weight of 125 lb.

The weight of a loaded magazine in both sources gives 115 lb where 15 lb plus 5 shots at 25 lb would be 140 lb. Again the 10 shots at 10 lb works out right.

I have always used the 10 lb per shot figure, I haven't experienced a surfeit of junk droppers in designs, so I think that indicates that it isn't an overly generous. The output could be as little as 2 x 1/4" squares that might inflict a maximum of 3 points of damage as long as the victim doesn't have solids and is at most a 1/2" sqaure. Enough mines and spikes to make 1" a threat only weigh 5 lb.

Ignore the man from SJG, trust the designer instead and use the 10 lb figure. If anyone questions it, tell them I said it was OK. I am not an employee of SJG, but I still support the product even though it is out of print (and can a print it yourself download every technically be out of print?). Who's with me?
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Parody

The UACFH gives 10 lbs/$0/10 shots in both the text and the tables. That's what I'd go with.

I occasionally use Junk Droppers, but filled with sand for icy roads and to counter collision packages.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Stoob

Quote:
I still support the product even though it is out of print (and can a print it yourself download every technically be out of print?). Who's with me?
I'm with you. ;-)
Old 11-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoob View Post
I'm with you. ;-)
And SJG wonders why no one takes their MIBs and editors seriously any more (if ever)....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
kjamma4

I'm still waiting for the Tracer Ammo for this weapon.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Stoob

love it. glowing nails
Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
I'm still waiting for the Tracer Ammo for this weapon.
Tracers are only for DF weapons -- so unless you want a Tracer-loaded Mine Flinger.... >;)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
swordtart

Nah, the tracer is so the Highway Cops can trace who's dumping all the crap on the highways ;)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
Hemlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Tracers are only for DF weapons -- so unless you want a Tracer-loaded Mine Flinger.... >;)
Or a tracer loaded spike-gun ...

Shooting red-hot nails !
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote