Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 09-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
LokRobster

Default Amateur Night Report - pics

Posted some pics on my picassa of our first CW event in many years --

http://picasaweb.google.com/lokrobster/CWStuff#

We used the 'Amateur Kart' [featured in a link on these forums, thanks!] for each of the four drivers, but used the 3x scale models we've been working on rather than actual sub-compact size cars or counters.

The Amateur Kart is a $2.6k vehicle with very light armor, micro-missile launcher front, and a debris dropper rear, and standard 4DP tires. All the vehicles lost at least 1 tire and a few were disabled move-wise because of debris vs. tire trouble. We went with this for simplicity for our first event, next time we'll do a division event [probably 10] and use the CW sets or player designed vehicles.

I liked the CW5 rules well enough, the super-simplified phases are nice - I can see how they cause collision-figuring problems, though! We're all pretty laid back and are more interested in fun than rules-lawyering; funny how much difference that makes.

The whole event lasted 7 seconds and covered about 2/3 of the arena area we laid down.

Enjoy the pics and accompanying report. o-]
Old 09-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
bosky
Banned

Default Re: Amateur Night Report - pics

Nice that looks like a fun match. Using the lighter, simpler cars always seems to be a hit in terms of speed of play, reduced complexity, and general chaos. I find players are less attached to cars under $5k, hehe. I use Killer Karts every now and then with 5th edition for that reason.

By the way I love that Mad Max 1 colored Interceptor. It looks like a well painted Falcon XB Hot Wheels car...or did I miss some awesome merchandising with the first movie?
bosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
Kidnomicon

yeah! the green car, Death a la Karte, wins by default!

the interceptor is a painted up hot wheel...... we got plans on doing a few more of em

this was our first run with the new rules..... would like to try some tougher cars.... ones that can drive over junk with out destroying tires.....
Kidnomicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosky View Post
Nice that looks like a fun match. Using the lighter, simpler cars always seems to be a hit in terms of speed of play, reduced complexity, and general chaos. I find players are less attached to cars under $5k, hehe. I use Killer Karts every now and then with 5th edition for that reason.

By the way I love that Mad Max 1 colored Interceptor. It looks like a well painted Falcon XB Hot Wheels car...or did I miss some awesome merchandising with the first movie?
yeah it's the new FalconXb Hot wheels car, that event was post-conversion with just a base coat of black. I've finished painting it now - i'll post some pics of the conversion in a bit :)
Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
yeah it's the new FalconXb Hot wheels car, that event was post-conversion with just a base coat of black. I've finished painting it now - i'll post some pics of the conversion in a bit :)
Links to photos of my conversion of the 2010 edition of the '73 xB -

http://picasaweb.google.com/lokrobst...nXBConversion#

HotWheels was cool enough to come out with a Jeep hotrod that has a huge blower and side pipes that make it a decent donor for making a v8 Interceptor.

I also made an album that has pics of a few more of the minis i've put together over the years, feel free to browse - or let me know if the links are inaccessible...
Old 10-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Stoob

hey that was my amateur kart design and record sheets i posted on here, glad you found them useful. i like the photos a lot. nice work
Stoob is offline   Reply With Quote