Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
swordtart

Default New Encounter

Ok chaps, my players are about to venture forth once again after their last disastrous journey. You may recall they were jumped by a dozen pedestrians and had their bottoms comprehensively smacked. Even though the job paid several thousand dollars for a couple of hours work, the drubbing at the hands of the peds has meant that they are broke again.

My question to you all is, how often should they be encountering baddies. The only guide the game gives is an obscure reference in an ADQ article about a bus company that stated only 1 in 20 trips resulted in an attack. The published sceanrios are all far more busy than this, but generally you are on a mission. I am talking everyday trucks carrying cargo. They are driving $100,000 of rig. Their cargo is probably worth a few thousand dollars at most, it is bulky and there isn't much market for it. They are being paid approx $3 per mile.

I want the encounters to be challeging and realistic. I will not be throwing endless pairs of Shoguns at them as, whilst I can justify the occasional macho dare, I think gangers would choose easier targets than a rig. I am however quite happy that small bands of pedestrians might have a go as they (suprisingly) seem to have better chances of survival if they are smart.

The majority of travel needs to be attack free, though there can of course be other encounters (hitch-hikers, sites of previous attack, freak weather and natural disasters etc).

The system I currently use is based on rolling a d6 for every vowel in the states name (for want of any more plausible variable) and making the next encounter in 10 times that number of miles. The severity will be a function of the highest number rolled. Thus for Florida (their current locale), I roll 3d6 for how many miles until the next encounter. This means you ight travel 180 miles before en encounter, but when you get it it will be serious, or you might meet someting minor in 30 miles. I like the symetry of this and it seems self balancing.

Obviously the location of the encounter will affect it's type with ped gangs when passing near ruins, bikers on the open road etc. The time of day would also be a factor, nastier encounters at night for example.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
PatG

Default Re: New Encounter

If the cargo is time sensitive, a rival to the shipper may only be concerned with delaying the shipment - not destroying it.

"Yeah Acme Incorporated sells cheaper widgets but they can't seem to deliver them on time can they?"

The attackers in this case are more interested in shooting out a tire or two or forcing a recharge and refit stop than they are in looting. They are also paid accordingly. This would allow for a fairly strong opponent who takes off after only minor damage.

Another option would be mistaken identity. The attackers think the cargo is more valuable than it is. If they realize or are convinced otherwise by the players, they may well break off.

Gangers may be interested in nothing more than a little fun. Junior wants to join the gang so he has to attack a truck and survive. He doesn't have to "win" just prove he has the b*lls to make a try.

As for frequency, a lot depends on recharge, repair and re-arm facilities along the way. They get too beat up - there's an extra truck stop just around the corner. Having it too easy - "Well shucks we're all out of HD vulcan ammo and I only have half a belt of regular left - take it or leave it."

Finally, never be reluctant to over ride the die rolls. I would go with 3 fixed encounters - one each at the beginning middle and end of the trip with random filler put in as needed
PatG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
swordtart

Hmmm, a rival to the shipper doesn't make sense currently (as they are gypsy truckers hauling what they can and it's all sooooo low value). But they got one of their current jobs because the origianal trucker got himself arrested for being drunk. I bet he's miffed ;)

Three encounters in only 100 miles seems a bt too much to me, They'd have to be low level ones which didn't cost much in repairs (otherwise the $300 bucks per trip isn't going to cover it).

Hmmm, maybe thats how I should calculate it. Work out how much I want them to make in a trip and scale the hazardous encounters to fit.

Maybe.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Stoob

I always enjoyed a game where encounters are common - one every 50 miles at least.

the majority of the encounters are non-combat. Although the PCs don't know this at first...

For instance:

1. You see a tow truck and two cars by the side of the road 800 yards ahead. What do you do? Could it be an ambush? Or iis it as it appears...a tow truck doing it's job while a friendly car stands by?

2. You approach a wreck, it's still smoking. It looks recent. A man is lying on the road next to it. Is he alive? Do you stop?

3. You see a crudely painted sign that says "leave $1000 in the dumpster or die in 2 miles. we're watching". It is a bluff? Is the sign still even relevant?

4. A helicopter tails you from a distance of 1000 yards for several miles. What do you do?

You get the picture. By the time an actual combat occurs, the PCs will be freaked out and paranoid beyond belief....and having a great time.
Stoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
swordtart

I agree about interspersing combat encounters with many non-combat encounters, but we have had issues with the amount of time non-encounters take up. Our last actual fight took about 2 months to play out (play-by-facebook, nice idea but hard work). Then again we have been playing for about 9 months now and have had a pedestrian combat, an arena event and a wrecker gang ambush and none of the players seem to be getting bored.

Your suggestions for actual encounters fit well with the style I was going for.

I think the next encounter will be a simple nuisance encounter. Hanging over a the highway from a bridge is a hand painted sign on a old bed sheet. Cryptically it simply states "Exodus 31:15". Just the other side of the bridge laid across the whole width of the highway is a single line of spike counters.

If the players simply barrel over them nothing happens (other than spike damage). If they stop to clear the counters they will be accosted by a wild haired old man who will proceed to harange them about not working on the Sabbath (it being Sunday). He will rant and even pull a light pistol on them unless they agree to go back home and take the day off. His last resort will be to shoot tires, but won't actually go as far as killing anyone. Hopefully they will resolve the situation without killing him.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Hemlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG View Post
If the cargo is time sensitive, a rival to the shipper may only be concerned with delaying the shipment - not destroying it.

"Yeah Acme Incorporated sells cheaper widgets but they can't seem to deliver them on time can they?"

The attackers in this case are more interested in shooting out a tire or two or forcing a recharge and refit stop than they are in looting. They are also paid accordingly. This would allow for a fairly strong opponent who takes off after only minor damage.

Another option would be mistaken identity. The attackers think the cargo is more valuable than it is. If they realize or are convinced otherwise by the players, they may well break off.

Gangers may be interested in nothing more than a little fun. Junior wants to join the gang so he has to attack a truck and survive. He doesn't have to "win" just prove he has the b*lls to make a try.

As for frequency, a lot depends on recharge, repair and re-arm facilities along the way. They get too beat up - there's an extra truck stop just around the corner. Having it too easy - "Well shucks we're all out of HD vulcan ammo and I only have half a belt of regular left - take it or leave it."

Finally, never be reluctant to over ride the die rolls. I would go with 3 fixed encounters - one each at the beginning middle and end of the trip with random filler put in as needed
If you want to make that encounter non-lethal for the PCs, give Junior biker-dude a load of paint ammuniton and he is supposed to 'tag' the truck with gang colors (and live to tell about it).
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
I agree about interspersing combat encounters with many non-combat encounters, but we have had issues with the amount of time non-encounters take up. Our last actual fight took about 2 months to play out (play-by-facebook, nice idea but hard work). Then again we have been playing for about 9 months now and have had a pedestrian combat, an arena event and a wrecker gang ambush and none of the players seem to be getting bored.

Your suggestions for actual encounters fit well with the style I was going for.

I think the next encounter will be a simple nuisance encounter. Hanging over a the highway from a bridge is a hand painted sign on a old bed sheet. Cryptically it simply states "Exodus 31:15". Just the other side of the bridge laid across the whole width of the highway is a single line of spike counters.

If the players simply barrel over them nothing happens (other than spike damage). If they stop to clear the counters they will be accosted by a wild haired old man who will proceed to harange them about not working on the Sabbath (it being Sunday). He will rant and even pull a light pistol on them unless they agree to go back home and take the day off. His last resort will be to shoot tires, but won't actually go as far as killing anyone. Hopefully they will resolve the situation without killing him.
I think with my PCs he'd be dead. I'll have to try it...
Old 11-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
swordtart

Hemlock: I think my bike gangs would need some sort of return on their investment before they gave a bike to a newb. If they came back with salvage they might be accepted, but risking a bike just for a paint job would be a waste of resource. Foolish bravado isn't a trait they are actively recruiting. Killing the ganger would have no negative consequences, so it makes the encounter a bit too easy for the PC's as whatever action they take makes no difference.

It might work if the protagonist were part of a kiddie gang and maybe using his dads rifle with paint gun rounds. Kids will do stuff for a dare and peer pressure that can be highly illogical and the resource wasting wouldn't matter. Killing the kid would have negative consequences as well making the choice the players made important. I'll put htis in the "can do" tin.

Pat G: I don't think my biker gangs will attack a truck for fun. They will have novices out to prove themselves that might choose the wrong target though (which would have the same net effect). They would have still needed to stand a decent chance had their descision making been correct "That armour doesn't look that thick to me, our three HR apiece should manage that, and think what Mad Dog will say when we report that we got him a rig for just over a grand!"), so this goes intot the "can do" tin as well.

Lokrobster: "Sherriff, Sherriff! This stranger killed our preacher, 'Sunday Special' Bob! For preaching to him! On a Sunday!".

"Hang him! I do believe there's a tree over there that's vacant!"

<But yeah, I think my lot will probably kill him as well, and if you can't shoot up a representative of the Lord in a post apocalytic game, what's the point ;>
Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
Hemlock

Ya know ... if a trucker only make $300 per trip on a 100 mile run (or so) ... then any ammunition expenditure is going to bite deep into thier profit margins ...

Maybe truckers should stick with lasers. Or Junkdroppers ... or any other weapons where ammo is free or ridiculousy cheap.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
swordtart

The theory is that you recoup ammo costs with salvage, but yeah margins are tight and junk droppers are the very weapon they have fitted (backed with spike droopers for emergencies).

That said, a truck running 12 hours a day with a single load five days a week is pulling in $9000 a week. Most trucks should be able to haul more than this and will probably work weekends.