Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #2871
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: The Mile Higher Club (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
Zahirah looks at him, "If you want to tell me you can, but I won't try and force your hand. I trust you."
"You're not forcing my hand--far from it." He gets an impish look on his face, and throws out a gentle challenge, "Pick them up."
Old 05-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #2872
alexondria

Zahirah would reach out and pick them up waiting on his explanation.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #2873
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Zahirah would reach out and pick them up waiting on his explanation.
((http://todaysmeet.com/Mhc if you can do it))

He's pleased. "See? They don't bite. Especially now, all slashed up like this one." He pokes at the remains of the red shirt, and you see a line of arcane text inside it, running across the back, down the long sleeves, and coming together at the collar button, which is roughly sewn shut.

"This one was basically just an alarm. Sometimes I can tell a celestial being by standing near them, but usually I can't. Especially not when I'm napping. So I wear one of these. Demon crosses that line, it sings at me. And then I know."

seraph resonance: True, if a bit imprecise.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 05-16-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: saw the old post--it's not a separate ribbon
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #2874
tHEhERETIC

He continues. "It's still a ward though. It still zaps any demon that crosses it, and in theory would be unpleasant for you too--if it were still active. How unpleasant is a long discussion on the differences between angels and demons, and frankly I'm not entirely clear on that myself.

"Now this other one, elegant little work if I say so myself." Humility was never his strong suit. He points to the single ribbon. "Instead of taking fifteen minutes and some beautiful geometry during a fight to trap a demon, I take a little extra time in advance. Spells, I discovered, there's no rule says you have to do them all at once. So I '5-4-3-2...', and then hold that thought and put this in my pocket. When I need to trap that demon, I stitch it together with a 'one'. Instant, portable demon trap.

"I've studied sorcery since I was eleven, and those are the fruits of my learning."

He watches your faces closely, and your fingers more closely.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #2875
alexondria

He probably notices a little hesitation when he talks about the difference between demons and angels- a little hesitation when he talks about trapping a demon- likely a product of just how recently she was a demon- though her face for the most part is neutral on the matter. "It sounds like you've done well with it for yourself and could work well with us. Are you aware of why so many angels are so apposed to sorcery?"
Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #2876
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Are you aware of why so many angels are so apposed to sorcery?"
"99.9% of the time, you learn sorcery by swearing allegiance to Hell. Now I can think of a few other reasons that have nothing to do with demons, but I don't discount simple taboo--someone told them it's bad, so it's bad. Shun it."
Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #2877
alexondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
"99.9% of the time, you learn sorcery by swearing allegiance to Hell. Now I can think of a few other reasons that have nothing to do with demons, but I don't discount simple taboo--someone told them it's bad, so it's bad. Shun it."
"It's also an easy temptation. You've gone about it the hard way from everything I can see and that means you've retained your freedom, but lets say Laurence provided sorcery to one of his soldiers and wasn't as strict as he tends to be with them. Slowly they start to depend on it over their mundane skills. The time it takes them to advance in it starts to become unacceptable- and then there is a demon who can get them in touch with just who they need. Just a little favor for that extra juice they want. Can you see how many wouldn't be able to resist that. How it could become an addiction that they would sell their soul for knowing that was just what they were doing. This isn't going to be an easy road for you, but I think you are strong enough to resist their temptations."
Old 05-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #2878
Puck

Quote:
"It's also an easy temptation. You've gone about it the hard way from everything I can see and that means you've retained your freedom, but lets say Laurence provided sorcery to one of his soldiers and wasn't as strict as he tends to be with them. Slowly they start to depend on it over their mundane skills. The time it takes them to advance in it starts to become unacceptable- and then there is a demon who can get them in touch with just who they need. Just a little favor for that extra juice they want. Can you see how many wouldn't be able to resist that. How it could become an addiction that they would sell their soul for knowing that was just what they were doing. This isn't going to be an easy road for you, but I think you are strong enough to resist their temptations."
"Plus I'm sure you've annoyed the Demon of Sorcery, which is always a plus." Mich says cheerfuly. "A powerful Sorcerer whom she doesn't control must make her nash her teeth." He sobers then "But yes, 9.99 of the sorcerers get their power though making a deal with a demon. Most the rest work for the Church I belive. An independent is quite rare."
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #2879
tHEhERETIC

He does like a bit of flattery.

It's the weekend before Thanksgiving, November 2007. The Archangels will meet shortly--the ones who don't welch on the agreed meeting time--and will argue and you could say bicker for quite some time over who trusts who, who didn't cooperate with who, how much of that could be fixed and how much had to be accepted as just the nature of being Word-bound. Bits of that conversation will leak out, but most of it will remain just among them.

The recruits will disperse, confident that the angels will be able to reach them, through Corat if nothing else. They'll be able to reach each other and, flight tickets and relatives allowing, get together for Thanksgiving. They exchange information and concerns just among themselves, and get to know each other as flawed human beings. A union becomes a brotherhood.

But before that, after exchanging words on sorcery and life in general, Ryuki imposes on Marty to fetch his other clothes from the car and on the angels to give him some privacy. After he's convinced no one is coming back, he pushes the beds aside in the hotel room, gets the good sea salts out of his bag, and casts a circle. The Disturbance is a risk among so many angels but he gets lucky, and is not interrupted. He spends the next few hours purging himself, body mind and soul, of Vetis' taint inside him. After a bit of rest he looks for Corat but fails to find him, so he stuffs his things back in his bag and walks out to his car, half expecting it to have been stolen by Eli or Janus. Nope, still there, and he rides it to the airport.

The MRI shows some anomalies, but his doctor declares them benign. His doctor's supervisor sends the report up the chain to Gabriel and Michael.

Corat is in a reflective mood and doesn't even ask Kyle where they put his motorcycle. Instead he just starts walking, east into the Mojave, to join his new brothers-in-arms at War's camp.

The holidays come and go, and the recruits it seems all remain interested in becoming Soldiers. There's a bit of maneuvering, since they do all consult each other on such decisions, but most of them choose a Superior and undergo the experience. Danae favors Gabriel's openness and joins with Fire. The atheist Andersons enjoy the irony of working for Faith, though what little training they get over the holidays accommodates their stubborn denial of the supernatural...for now, they do not have their sixth Force. Kevin of course joins with Janus. His boss was also considered a recruit but Jensen bowed out, saying he was just an old politician who'd be happy to help out, pay no mind when Kevin needed weird days off, and left it be. The pop star and her father sought the Angel of Music, so they're Creation soldiers. Eli once again disappeared into the realm of apparently irresponsible, so Novalis took a hand in working with them.

Chuy is presumed to belong to Jordi, but neither was in a hurry to seal the deal. The Dylan brothers seem a natural for Wind but haven't chosen--their vice being attached to an infernal Word has complicated things for them.

Ryuki is...fickle, or seems to be. He's accepted some training and advice from Zahirah but finds he can only handle her presence in small doses. No matter how much he tells himself nun--angel--ex-demon--he still finds her femininity terribly distracting. After all he is, technically, a born Creationer, and sorcerers are known for the vice of lust, and lust for power, and for confounding the two. Closer to the holidays he pleads busy, his thesis coming due in January. Sure enough, Christmas Eve finds him at the family home typing, editing, polishing. Finally, it's done. He decides to spend the night alone with his thoughts, something he expects he won't get to do much after this month.

Auld Lang Syne, 2007 (IRL 2007-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #2880
alexondria

Zahirah would of course help any of the recruits that wished it, but particularly those that went to work with faith. She would do her best to instill in them the idea that anyone can be saved, even if the price is too high for some. After all it wasn't very long ago that she was one that many would have considered unsavable.

Tags
in nomine