Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
evileeyore
Banned

Default Magic Items and Magic Resistance

Okay, hear me out now...

Since Power Talents (Bardic talent, Magery, and Power Investiture) affect the skill roll to use a magic item, shouldn't Magic Resistance of the wielder affect the skill roll as well?

Regardless of whom the user is casting the spell on, or the type of spell cast, shouldn't their "Power Anti-Talent" reduce their 'skill' with the spell?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:18 AM   #2
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Magic Items and Magic Resistance

Go ahead. There is a vagueness with magic items on whether the user or item is casting the spell, and various rules cut one way or the other... or GM has to choose!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
Black Leviathan

I'd say not just thematically but implied in the rules. Magic resistance gives you penalties to cast spells. Magic items with spell enchantments allow you to cast spells. You are still casting a spell, your penalty applies. Thematically you are mana averse and struggle to use or be affected by magic, regardless of how that magic manifests.

I'd question how that would work with magic that isn't tied to Mana such as Power Investiture or Druidic Ability. I'd have to read the language of Magic Resistance to see if it impacts those magic types equally.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I'd question how that would work with magic that isn't tied to Mana such as Power Investiture or Druidic Ability. I'd have to read the language of Magic Resistance to see if it impacts those magic types equally.
It explicitly does, as long as the ability is, or counts* as, a spell.

* Bard Song is called out as counting as spells, whereas Chi Mastery, Holy Might, and Druidic Arts abilities are explicitly not spells.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote