Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #21
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: The RPG Soundtrack

I'm currently GMing a campaign over the net (2 full sessions and one semi-personal so far), and I'm using soundtracks even more than before. I'm trying to come up with 3+ tracks per major location and per major NPC.

It seems a convenient thing to use a service allowing one to share and play lists of tracks online, thus making it a matter of dropping a link into the chat window (and also allowing for simultaneously playing different tracks for different players).

Speaking of which, at first I thought the only way to do it is to make a closed server with some sort of repository, but apparently there are such 'open' services that are legal according to the DMCA. The ability to quickly find a track by name (in case of some improvisation) and instantly offer it to the players is neat.

Regarding the tracks themselves, PC game soundtracks seem to be quite spot-on quite commonly. For instance, tracks out of Tiberian Sun: Firestorm, Deus Ex, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect 2, Orange Box/Portal, Star Control 2.

(Originally wanted to start a new thread, but there's no point if there's one perfectly matching the topic.)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
William

I mailed CDs around, and called out track numbers. I wasn't computer-savvy enough to burn mp3s instead of AIFFs, so I could have had a much larger selection, too.

Of course, now that I have web space, it's also trivially easy to upload tracks and tell my players the URLs, too. When I was a player myself, I had a wizard who played Arabian wind instruments, though not very well. I'd call out something like http://earl.of.sandwich.net/Characte...oire/Gypsy.mid when he played one.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:00 AM   #23
Humorme

Just my own 2 cents. Two Steps From Hell is the perfect ambient gaming music for almost any setting! They sound like a heavy metal name, but they are not at all! It's short compositional tunes without lyrics and by Jove, they are amazing!

Also, check out Evil Cult (a fun little browser game) - at one time, the ambient music in it was a free download (bugger if I can find the webpage again, but I have the songs) and is great for creepy - especially illuminati style.

In general, I avoid music with lyrics as it can be overly distracting.

EDIT: The Evil Cult music can be downloaded (legally) here: http://code.google.com/p/cult/wiki/About

Last edited by Humorme; 05-09-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Humorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
moldymaltquaffer

I like Danzig's "Black Aria" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Aria as a general purpose background.
moldymaltquaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #25
Rasputin

I've been pondering running stuff in games based on 70's Genesis songs (Genesis died for me with Abacab; prog forever). Stuff like "Twilight Alehouse," "The Return of the Giant Hogweed," "Squonk," "Dance on a Volcano," "Stagnation," and much of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway come to mind as being suited for RPG scenarios as well as for background music. The same could be said for Led Zep as well, and Hawkwind (Michael Moorcock wrote songs for Hawkwind!).

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #26
Icelander

Default Jade Serenity Soundtrack

This thread felt like an appropriate place to share the links to the Spotify playlists that I've been using in our Jade Serenity campaign, which started a year ago with Jade Serenity Season 1: Project Jade Serenity.

There is one playlist filled with theme music for actual play for our first Season, set in the fictional Manhanock Asylum for the Criminally Insane, on the real Jewell Island outside Portland, Maine. This playlist is entitled, not very innovately, Project Jade Serenity (Copy Spotify URL).

My character, Mazkenzie Chase Taylor, former US Army Special Forces, currently incarcerated in USDB Ft. Leaveworth serving a 30 year sentence for murder, has one playlist of songs that all have some relevance to his background, taste or history. Chase Taylor's Choice (Copy Spotify URL). No points for guessing that he's Southern, but with a bit of detective work (or noticing a certain theme), one might even narrow his homeplace down to the specific state.

Dr. Michael Anderson, psychiatrist, medical researcher, stage magician, horror writer and dreamweaver, also received a themed playlist. For reasons that should be obvious to any reader of Project Jade Serenity, his is titled 'Dreams' (Copy Spotify URL).

Season 1 ran its merry course and I'm just finishing up the write-up of session recaps / narrative history of the events on Jewell Island on these very forums.

We have, in fact, begun Jade Serenity Season 2: Once Upon a Time in Mexico, although I have not yet opened up the campaign write-up thread that this deserves. My excuse is not having finished the last one and the hiatus that the campaign has been on while one player made several trips abroad for work and the GM made a series of life-altering changes, personal and professional.

There is already a Spotify playlist for Jade Serenity: Once Upon a Time in Mexico (Copy Spotify URL).

What I'm looking for is; a) Putting these somewhere those interested in the Jade Serenity campaign can access them, if they use Spotify, and b) Solicit suggestions for changes and improvements in the playlists, especially those with relevance to future play sessions.

So, can anyone suggest songs that would be especially appropriate for background during Jade Serenity play?

Or that suit some character from the campaign as theme music or leitmotif? Songs that might be favourites for certain PCs or NPCs?

Did anything that happened during Season 1 put anyone in mind of specific music?

Or is anyone hoping/anticipating that something will happen during Season 2 that calls for a certain soundtrack?
Old 01-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #27
copeab

I'll second Two Steps From Hell, although since they were initially mentioned, they have started including a handful of vocals on each album.

Only once, hough, did I really use music as part of an adventure, with a different song to introduce each of the three acts. I titled the adventure "It's a Steve Winwood Apocalypse"

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaming soundtrack, jade serenity, music