Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Icelander

Default [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

I'm looking for information on what adventuring gear would be available to a secret black ops team operating under the auspices of the US Department of Homeland Security in 2017. This in relation to our supers/technothriller game Project Jade Serenity, where Operation Onyx Rain is a classified joint task force and/or conspiracy primarily falling under the Department of Homeland Security and dedicated to dealing with the fallout from secret experiments on US Army soldiers on 1999-2000.

The next adventure and the second season of Jade Serenity will be set in Mexico, more specifically in the Juarez Valley, Chihuahua. Here's a teaser capsule of proposed cover IDs and such. It looks like Agent Rubio will be a Latin Queen going by the streetname 'La Duquesa'* and Agent O'Toole and Chase Taylor would be bikers from the Iron Order hired as security/muscle by Dr. Anderson, there to obtain drugs that are more heavily restricted on the US. Cherry Bell would be... his travelling companion.

Here is a price list for black market firearms available through a contact near the Texas border.
Edit: I'm taking suggestions on what characters from the first season of Jade Serenity might choose to carry in Chihuahua, Mexico.

What less-than-lethal methods of self-defence ought Dr. Anderson bring with him over the border from El Paso?**

What firearms should Agent O'Toole buy from the black market dealer / HSI informant they meet a few miles over the border?

What weapons should Chase Taylor choose, if he gets to be armed?

Should someone be dumb enough to arm Sherilyn 'Cherry' Bell, which weapons would suit her?

*My OOC suggestion of 'La reina roja' was unaccountably rejected, which totally ruined the 'Through the Looking Glass' theme of code names that would have resulted. Dr. Anderson is clearly a Mad Hatter, Cherry Bell is Alice and that would leave Iron Order bikers O'Toole and Taylor as Tweedledum and Tweedledee.
**He'll be travelling with a Special Agent of the CBP and another of the ICE-HSI, so the worst that will happen if someone stops his truck and finds the hidden compartment is that they show their ID and some Border Patrol officers become aware of that some operation is going on.

---

If things work out with Onyx Rain, I imagine that Chase Taylor, my character, will act as a quartermaster of sorts, obtaining necessary equipment through requests to our handlers or perhaps even private purchases in some cases. It is not exactly clear to our PCs if the team they are working for has any kind of official sanction or if they represent a shadowy conspiracy within the US Government.

In any case, they might sometimes be instructed to pretend to be employees of some agency under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), either the OIG or possibly APHIS, when operating in the US. In such cases, they'll be issued immaculate badges and ID cards, ones that even appear in computer databases accessible by Federal law enforcement, but warned that determined attempts to check the identities on those will eventually result in the earlier positive response being written off as a computer glitch and that the request must have the wrong badge number.

When pretending to be Federal agents, the characters (or increasingly more likely, NPCs we don't trust all that much) will probably carry borrowed gear and sidearms identical to those carried by Special Agents from the Department of Homeland Security.

I believe most Special Agents under the auspices of the Department of Homeland Security will carry weapons approved by the Director of the Office of of Firearms and Tactical Programs (OFTP). That means that they mostly follow the lead of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and carry something approved for HSI agents.

I understand that the DHS bought a lot of SIG P229 DAK pistols in .40 S&W some years ago and that they also authorise the carrying of Glock 17 9mm pistols and the SIG P226 .40 S&W in either DA or with the DAK trigger system for some armed employees. HSI Special Agents can also apparently get permission to carry compact pistols like the SIG P239 .40 S&W, Glock 26 9x19mm and H&K P2000 SK .40 S&W.

The Department of Homeland Security apparently decided recently that the new issue sidearm for their largest agencies would be the modular SIG P320 in 9x19mm, the pistol which will also become the standard issue for the US Army. Allegedly, the SIG MPX submachine gun in 9x19mm will also be adopted for all Special Response Teams and high-risk warrant service under the Deparment of Homeland Security, but I don't know if that means that any and all 5.56mm carbines already in arsenals will be sold or destroyed immediately.

Here are some pistols in .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .460 Rowland, including a conversion of an MPA10 'Mac-10' pistol into an SMG chambered in .460 Rowland.

1) Do we have GURPS stats for the SIG P320 in 9x19mm? What about the SIG MPX in 9x19mm?

2) What brands of short-barrelled carbines, patrol rifles or shortguns are most likely to be available in DHS arsenals? Do they use military models bought from the same manufacturers as the armed forces or do they buy from a specialty manufacturer like the FBI do? I remember a lot of discussion in the media when the DHS was seeking to buy some 7,000 carbines or personal defence weapons, in 5.56mm, but I couldn't find any sign whether they eventually went through with the purchase and if they did, what models they bought and from which manufacturers.

3) Using Pulver's "Eidetic Memory: Cutting Edge Armor Design" from Pyramid #3-85, it's possible to make bodysuits with limb DR 9/3, torso DR 18/7 and ceramic inserts over the vitals that give DR 30/19, but come out to less than 10 lbs. and can be concealed under any kind of clothing. Does anyone make real ninja suits like this in our world? What are some of the real-world drawbacks that a gaming treatment that is mostly limited to noting DR, Cost and Weight glosses over? Why don't special operations personnel have DR 9/3 full-body suits that weigh 6.3 lbs. (5.04 lbs. with Optimised Fabric) as the fragment-proof underlayer to their tactical vests and trauma plates?

4) Has Hans-Christian Vortisch written an article updating his excellent work in US Federal Agency Armaments 2001?
Edit: He did! Sweet, sweet Police Weapons in the USA: Federal Agencies (Copyright Grey Tiger 2008-2016)! Inexplicably hard to find, but oh, so worth it.

5) Are there any Pyramid articles that do the same kind of thing for the arsenal and toys of Federal security and law enforcement agencies as Kenneth Peter's 'Modern Warfighters: Gear' in Pyramid #3-57 does for modern military equipment?

6) Does anyone have suggestions for cool technothriller stuff for my character to request?

Edit: Things I'm currently considering are cool new cartridges for extreme long range performance from carbine or assault rifle size semi-automatics and stats for the .224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Creedmoor and other fun rounds.

NEW EDIT!

Also, thoughts on TL8 optics, houserules for optics, optic Bulk and optic MinST.

Some TL8 compact surveillance binoculars, spotting scopes and surveillance binoculars.

Concealing longarms.

Modern answer to the DeLisle carbine, a Wilson Combat .458 SOCOM upper on an M4 lower.

Questions on compact AK carbines, i.e. Mini Draco, AKS-74U, etc.

Some background questions on military enlistments, for our new PC.

Questions on Norinco weapons, especially military ones for use by cartel gunmen.

Thoughts on the AAC Honey Badger and SIG MCX LVAW in .300 Blackout. Also touches on the Hearing Distance Table and some real suppressor models and dB measurements.

AK rifles and Acc

JSOC Concealable Sniper Rifle (CSR)?

Last edited by Icelander; 02-05-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
Icelander

Default Marksman rifles for special operations

Mackenzie Chase Taylor, my PC mentioned in the original post as the character who will take on a quartermaster-esque role for our secret black ops team under the DHS, was a Weapons Sergeant in the 7th SFG(A) in his former career. Taylor attended the Special Operations Target Interdiction Course not long after SFQC and was usually the team marksman.

Taylor served in Alpha Company of the 2nd Battalion/7th SFG(A) for the majority of his career, assigned to ODA 746, ODA 765* and ODA 7216 (post-2007 numbering of ODA 746). He was also briefly assigned to a Crisis Response Element (CRE) under JSOTF-A in a 2004 deployment to Afghanistan and served as part of the 7th SFG(A) Combatant Commanders In-extremis Force (CIF) Company as both assaulter and sniper.

Taylor spent much more time with in a regular ODA than he did in any unit with a Direct Action (DA) role. Deployments were usually primarily Foreign Internal Defense (FID), such as training the Colombian Army Counter-narcotics Brigade (BRCNA) or the Afghan National Civil Order Police (ANCOP), and Village Stability Operations (VSO) in Afghanistan. The teams did intelligence gathering, reconnaissance, patrolling and classic Green Beret unconventional warfare involving joint security operations with indigenous forces, but a whole deployment might pass without a force-on-force infantry engagement.

As a result, Taylor preferred to carry a weapon not much more cumbersome than an assault rifle. From googling, it looks like good candidates for him to have carried while serving as a Green Beret between 2000-2011 would be the M4A1 SOPMOD, Mk 12 Mod 0 SPR, M14 EBR-RI, KAC SR-25 and one of the FN SCAR-H SV / FN SCAR-H (Long) / Mk 20 Sniper Support Rifle.

The M4A1 SOPMOD is in HT p. 120. The M14 and several variants are on HT p. 115 and while the M14 EBR-RI differs slightly from the published variants of M14 DMR and the MK 14 Mod 0 EBR, I believe that it only amounts to a minimally altered weight and different accessories in game terms.

The KAC SR-25 is in TS p. 62-63, along with the MK 11 Mod 0 and the later M110 SASS. The FN SCAR is in HT p. 121-122, but the write-up there mentions only three varieties of the SCAR-H / MK 17 Mod 0, the CQC, the Standard and the SV. I can guess that the SV is probably either a name change for the SCAR-H (Long) or a minimal variation from it, but I don't know if the Mk 20 Sniper Support Rifle justifies Fine (Accurate) stats. I'd like to get the opinion of forumites on it.

The Mk 12 SPR doesn't appear to have been written up in any GURPS source I can find. It is, of course, a heavily modified M16/AR15 HT p. 117, but the question is whether the modifications have any game effects. I'd like to try to stat it, but I have some questions for forumites about judgment calls relating to that.

7) Should the Mk 20 SSR, a FN SCAR-H with a longer receiver, different 20" barrel than the SCAR-H (Long), new trigger and a precision stock, rate Fine (Accurate) in GURPS terms?

8) Should the Mk 12 SPR rate Fine (Accurate) compared to other M16 variants?

9) I found several online sources that the Mk 12 SPR weighs just under 10 lbs. loaded and with optics. The Mk 11 Mod 0 is listed at 11.7 lbs. online, but it doesn't specify what accessories are included. What should the weight of the Mk 11 Mod 0 be in GURPs terms, i.e. without accounting for optics or other removable accessories, which can be changed, but including a full magazine?

*I realise that numerically, that ODA should belong to Charlie Company. However, at the time he served in it, ODA 765 was TACON to Alpha Company for real-world reasons I have not yet determined. As the specific instance where it was clearly deployed as part of Alpha Company was in June 2006, within the timeframe when the new numerical designation system was in the process of being adopted, it may be some odd bureaucratic snaggle. However, for the purposes of my game, the reason for the odd numerical designation is that ODA 765 was a special detachment.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-03-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In any case, they will sometimes be instructed to pretend to be employees of some agency under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), generally APHIS, when operating in the US. ?
Why pick that as a useful cover? I've never heard of them and would be quite surprised to see a team of 4-6 individuals in such a role carrying even sidearms.

Wikipedia says 5000 field inspectors or something like that but with responsibilities to cover multiple shifts at busy ports you probably won't hit the 100 agents per state implied by that number.

It'd make more sense to me to pick a big agency that usually has armed agents like the FBI and carry I.D. for some obscure unit of it. Treating DHS as "one big agency" at a functional level would be probably not be good. The DHS structure is more of a thin layer of roofing put over pre-existing agencies.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Why pick that as a useful cover? I've never heard of them and would be quite surprised to see a team of 4-6 individuals in such a role carrying even sidearms.
Largely because their actual black ops work will be an extension of the mission of the APHIS. They are dealing with a non-compliant biotech event and some would even maintain that their work has to do with an invasive species. In accordance with the Animal Damage Control Act of March 2, 193, they'll carry out investigation, demonstrations and control of “injurious animal species” (mammalian predators, rodents and birds).

The FBI or US Marshals are not expected to investigate reports of animal cruelty or deploy with scientific equipment. They would raise some eyebrows if they requested of local law-enforcement to be allowed to quarantine the area around a crime scene and exterminate all animal life within it, taking the carcasses with them in biohazard containers.

The non-compliant biotech event in question was carried out by the Department of Defense, consisting of questionably legal experiments with a variety of nootropic substances, ergogenic aids and neurostimulation. The last known experiment by the DOD, Project Jade Serenity, was closed down in 2000, largely due to concerns about the legality of it and the potential fall-out of disclosure. Any findings did not justify continued experiments, in any case.

Due to major crimes committed by a federal prisoner* on the base used for the experiments and his subsequent escape, the DOD was unable to prevent other federal agencies from becoming aware, in general terms, of the experiments. The local Assistant US Attorney was made aware of the matter and in the continuing search for the escaped felon, several agencies were involved.

Two organisations that managed to build up a lot of intelligence on the escaped felon and suspected accomplishes he may have had were under the Department of Justice, the Criminal Division for the Narcotic and Dangerous Drugs Section and the Asset Forfeiture and Money Laundering Section. This information had several points of contact with the people behind Project Jade Serenity and revealed some troubling aspects. No charges were filed against the people behind the program, however, though several people lost their security clearances and/or resigned.

As the Director of Project Jade Serenity was using the local FEMA representatives to cover up some of the less legal aspects of the experiments and some of his drug trials were apparently unknown even to his superiors, the Office of the Inspector General of FEMA carried out an investigation that inevitably revealed to those involved a lot of what the experiments had been about. Except against two FEMA employees found guilty of misappropriating funds and falsifying recordfs, no charges were filed there, either.

Some time after 2012, however, someone within the United States government became aware that former test subjects of Project Jade Serenity (and upon investigation, other similar DOD programs), were exhibiting erratic behaviour. The Office of Criminal Investigation for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) got involved after they received information from a source that managed to conceal his identity that several murders and suicides were connected to drug trials that went on some decades ago.

Some former test subjects exhibit significant physical changes, either neurological or physiological. Subjects have been reported to have shown extreme cognative improments, heightened sensory acuity and exceptional physical condition. Test subjects in their forties and even up to their sixties show little or no physiological degeneration and several who are still active duty military personnel are performing at a level that equals or surpasses their physical capabilities as operators in their 20s. Some evidence suggests that whatever causes these changes might be inheritable or even communicable.

At the start of play, someone, somewhere, has established an organisation to carry out Onyx Rain, a program designed to locate, secure and investigate the subjects of Project Jade Serenity and other similar programs. They would prefer to do so by offering a contract for medical services and salary, but will not hesitate to use other methods. Our characters were brought in as former Project Jade Serenity subjects or scientists. We start with only a limited role, we are just meant to go to a facility and talk to a person we knew well in Project Jade Serenity, in order to convince her to cooperate willingly.

The DOD undoubtedly has their own internal investigation going on, but for whatever reason, our handlers do not trust the DOD. That may have to do with the Special Forces Operational Detachment-Bravo that was sent to Mexico to contact their former comrade in arms, the escaped prisoner former CWO Raul Vargas, and convince him to turn himself in and accept medical assistance. Instead of bringing Vargas back, the whole team is now AWOL. Many team members were formerly part of Project Jade Serenity. Our handlers at Onyx Rain are apparently convinced that the DOD either never stopped the experiments or has restarted them after 2012.

It seems that our immediate handlers might be from the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Homeland Security. At least, that's the badges they showed. Someone from APHIS injected us with a microchip like the ones used to track animals. We talked to doctors from the Homeland Security Advanced Research Projects Agency (HSARPA), Chemical and Biological Defense Division, and the Office of Health Affairs (OHA), probably from the National Biosurveillance Intergration Center. They poked and prodded us a lot, drawing blood and scanning everything that could be scanned. The competent, decisive woman who acted like she was in charge introduced the lead physician as a good man... and thorough. She wasn't lying.

It is entirely possible that Onyx Rain has no official sanction and is a conspiracy set up to counter or frustrate a hypothetical DOD conspiracy around the secret experiments. If not, it at least represents a Department of Homeland Security response to a perceived threat to the US and is sceptical of close cooperation with the Department of Defense.

*Raul Vargas was a warrant officer in the US Army who was arrested for drug-related offences and looked set to be convicted and sentenced to the USDB at Fort Leavenworth. The director of Project Jade Serenity was able to arrange a delay of his court martial in order not to lose experimental data and the accused continued to participate in the drug trials, albeit under similar security arrangements as applied when the experiments were performed on service members convicted at court-martial, in exchange for reduced sentences, in the earlier stages of development.

Quote:
Wikipedia says 5000 field inspectors or something like that but with responsibilities to cover multiple shifts at busy ports you probably won't hit the 100 agents per state implied by that number.

It'd make more sense to me to pick a big agency that usually has armed agents like the FBI and carry I.D. for some obscure unit of it. Treating DHS as "one big agency" at a functional level would be probably not be good. The DHS structure is more of a thin layer of roofing put over pre-existing agencies.
If and when we get ID that proclaims us members of APHIS, it won't be to deceive anyone connected with that agency or maybe not even any Federal employees. It will be to justify strange requests from us in the field, usually made to local law enforcement. We might also get OIG badges from DHS, if we are ever that trusted.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-05-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:

The FBI or US Marshals are not expected to investigate reports of animal cruelty or deploy with scientific equipment..
It wouldn't be the Marshalls in any event but the FBI has hordes of technicians and the best gear money can buy. They deploy with lots of stuff. They would also be the primary investigators for virtually any serious Federal crime.

If your APHIS Spec Ops team presented their credentials to me I would examine them closely and as soon as safely possible call them into the FBI as a suspected impersonators of Federal Agents.

I'm sorry if this is supposed to be a running joke for the game or something but the people who track down hoof and mouth outbreaks don't have an armed Special Investigations unit.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
It wouldn't be the Marshalls in any event but the FBI has hordes of technicians and the best gear money can buy. They deploy with lots of stuff. They would also be the primary investigators for virtually any serious Federal crime.

If your APHIS Spec Ops team presented their credentials to me I would examine them closely and as soon as safely possible call them into the FBI as a suspected impersonators of Federal Agents.
And for a single computerised check of the ID numbers, they'd hold up for a day or two. Only a follow-up over the phone or reaching out to a specific Federal employee who'd follow up for you would reveal that the initial confirmation had been a glitch, probably a wrong ID number entered or something.

As far as our characters know, our handlers are not willing to tell the FBI anything about what they are doing. Impersonating an FBI agent is not something we can do. Impersonating an agent of one of several DHS agencies, however, appears to be possible. This, in itself, might be a clue to the identity of some of the people behind Onyx Rain. They don't have access to the FBI's servers, but they do for the servers accessible by the OIG of the DHS.

Now, I'm not saying that this means that my character suspects the Government Technology & Services Coalition (GTSC) of anything. But I've got my eye on you, Mr. Skinner.

Quote:
I'm sorry if this is supposed to be a running joke for the game or something but the people who track down hoof and mouth outbreaks don't have an armed Special Investigations unit.
Probably shouldn't be buying rifles, tactical vests, NVGs, suppressors and surveillance gear, then.

Pretty much any Federal agency in the US has acquired military-style weaponry and usually some form of armed reponse team over the last fifteen years. No bureaucrat is respected by his peers if he doesn't have a Special Reponse Team in his agency, no matter how little they need it. Library of Congress? Check. IRS? Super double check. Smithsonian Institute? Check.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-03-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
dcarson

A fanfic series I'm reading has a DHS department that has the covert job of dealing with biochemical accidents that create powers. The Hazardous Waste Assessment, Amelioration and Abatement. The HWAAA. Very boring sounding and explains lots of scientific equipment.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
weby

Quote:
They do. Basically the most bizarre parts of the US federal organizations have armed agents, that is a trend that really started in the late 1980's/early 1990s, before that the the number of such agencies was MUCH lower that it is today.

It is a combination of investigators wanting to be armed agents because they will get better pay if they do, the organizations getting "street cred" for having such, the growing mutual mistrust between agencies and parts of the population, The tightened rules where such things need to be regulated and official instead of ad-hock and many more reasons.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #9
Icelander

Default H&K P2000SK

One PC is a US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agent on assignment with Onyx Rain. He still carries his CBP issue sidearm. According to Hans-Christian Vortisch's Police Weapons in the USA: Federal Agencies, the agent would have had a choice of H&K USP Compact pistol in .40 S&W, H&K P2000 pistol in .40 S&W or the H&K P2000SK pistol in .40 S&W when he was issued a weapon upon joining.

Has the H&K P2000 or the P2000SK been statted in Pyramid or somewhere else?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
Varyon

Default Re: H&K P2000SK

Quote:
Has the H&K P2000 or the P2000SK been statted in Pyramid or somewhere else?
Not that I'm aware of, but shouldn't be too difficult to work out. Compared to the USP Compact, the P2000 has roughly the same size barrel (93 mm instead of 91 mm) and the same overall length (173 mm), for the same damage, range, and Bulk for each. Loaded weight is 1.91 lb for the P2000, and it holds shots 10+1. The P2000SK has a shorter barrel at 83 mm, which might be enough to justify a slight reduction to damage (maybe 2d pi+ instead of 2d+1 pi+, but that may be overstating the difference). Its 163 mm overall length might be enough to justify dropping it to Bulk -1 (the longest Bulk -1 pistol in HT, the Walther PPK, is 155 mm). Loaded, it weighs 1.83 lb, and holds shots 9+1. The P2000 series is apparently a bit more readily-customized than the USP (in terms of grips, accessories, etc), so the character is more likely to have a Weapon Bond, but that isn't necessarily the case. It was designed to be a bit more comfortable than the USP series, but even if that was accomplished it's beneath GURPS resolution (but may be a decent reason why the character would have chosen one of those). They can also apparently use the same magazines as the USP Compact, letting them have the same number of shots, but if the P2000SK is Bulk -1, using a USP magazine brings it to Bulk -2.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
federal agencies, hans-christian vortisch, high-tech, jade serenity, modern firepower, special ops