Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #231
schoon

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Hi SJG folks!

New year, new curiosities. While I'm not expecting significant movement on CW till later in the year, any milestones or progress you can share?

Has the game time been trimmed to closer to the goal?

Any other items of interest you're able to share to keep rampant curiosities at bay? ;)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #232
kjamma4

What do hindsight and my estimate of the release date have in common?

They're both 2020.

[lighten up, just a joke!!!!]
Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #233
Gnomemullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
What do hindsight and my estimate of the release date have in common?

They're both 2020.

[lighten up, just a joke!!!!]
Being a little optimistic, aren't you, kjamma4?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #234
Gnomemullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethNightslayer View Post
Just adding my voice as someone that will be all in on both+ kickstarters that are going to come out of this.
I'm putting my +1 on this, too. I'm ALL in, if 6e can deliver a slice of my CW memories on a 21st century plate.

From what I've heard so far, I think their most drastic changes are what's needed in today's market. I just hope they don't completely abandon the "build it from scratch" depth that was always my favorite part of the game. Anyone that's ever rolled a character in Traveller knows what I'm talking about. :)
Old 01-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #235
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomemullet View Post
I'm putting my +1 on this, too. I'm ALL in, if 6e can deliver a slice of my CW memories on a 21st century plate.

From what I've heard so far, I think their most drastic changes are what's needed in today's market. I just hope they don't completely abandon the "build it from scratch" depth that was always my favorite part of the game. Anyone that's ever rolled a character in Traveller knows what I'm talking about. :)
Last I saw, they were going with a "buy components with points" system...a RR with a full load of ammo might cost 5 points, and in Division 20 you've got 20 points to spend building your car, rather than the dollar-by-dollar, pound by pound system we have now.

I'm going to miss the raw fidelity, but if it still "feels" like Car Wars and ticks all the important boxes without scaring people off the first time they see a lookup table, I'm happy to give it a shot. They do have a golden opportunity that Battletech missed, though: by keeping "Classic" (4th Edition) both in print, neither audience will feel slighted.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
Old 01-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #236
schoon

Last time they talked about it:

Car components come as cards with point values

...for a Division 10 car, you can build your car with 10 points worth of cards.

So, it does sound as if there will be ground-up vehicle building, but it will be far faster and far less in need of a spreadsheet or calculator.

While I certainly enjoyed endless evenings of design tinkering in the old days, I'm looking forward to using something faster.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #237
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Definitely not the old INWO stock. Never on my watch.

We'll use our standard stock for the game cards.
Still looking for Information about the New Edition.

I'm hoping that by Standard Stock, you mean the stock that Car Wars Card Game and Munchkin (non CCG) are printed on.

The Ogre Objective 218 stock felt a bit lighter.
The Simon's Cat stock did feel a bit heavier (which I liked), but the print wasn't slick like other SJ Games products.

As for card sizes;
I'm hoping that Cars and maybe Drivers are 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 (which is a hair larger than Pilot cards in X-Wing, and about the size of Ogre Objective 218 cards)
and that Upgrades are 1 5/8 x 2 1/2 (which is the size of upgrades in X-Wing, but also the size of the cards in the Pocket Box version of Illuminati).
This will make sleeving and storage very simple.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #238
ColBosch

SJ Games has made Car Wars a priority goal for this year, per the Stakeholder's Report.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #239
JimTullis

I just got my hands on a booster of Munchkin CCG.
I've measured the cards. These were quoted As Being 2.5 X 3.5 Inches.
AND for the first time that I've seen, they are precisely that. Usually card sizes are like lumber sizes, there is a Nominal Size, and an Actual Size, with the actual size being a tiny bit smaller. MTG cards are about an 1/8th inch smaller both ways.

Munchkin CCG cards are sleevable in FFG or Dragon Shield sleeves. But FFG give the cards a tiny bit more protection at the top and are a bit easier to put the card into. Dragon Shield sleeves are almost tight across the width.

Munchkin CCG cards feel a bit thinner to me than standard Munchkin cards.
I also felt Ogre Objective 218 cards were a bit thinner than Munchkin cards.
If this is the new SJG standard card stock, I will live with it, but I was hoping for something a tiny bit more substantial. Something like Simon's Cat.

The art was nice and crisp and the cards are a bit slicker than Simon's Cat cards are. But the edges of the Munchkin CCG cards are easily flaked. They definitely need sleeving before play.

IF the new Car Wars cards are this size I'll be happy.
I would like the stock to be a tiny bit heavier, but I can live with it.
Hopefully this is an indicator of things to come.

Now, Off to proxy a Recoilless Rifle (https://www.facebook.com/sjgames/pos...55515215856007) over this "Amulet of Ridiculous Power" 203 (v) that I pulled...

Last edited by JimTullis; 02-25-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 AM   #240
Suncrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I just got my hands on a booster of Munchkin CCG.
I've measured the cards. These were quoted As Being 2.5 X 3.5 Inches.
AND for the first time that I've seen, they are precisely that. Usually card sizes are like lumber sizes, there is a Nominal Size, and an Actual Size, with the actual size being a tiny bit smaller. MTG cards are about an 1/8th inch smaller both ways.
MTG cards are metric, rounded down from 2.5 x 3.5 inches to the nearest whole mm, 63 x 88. This was a result of them being originally printed by Carta Mundi.
Closed Thread