Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #11
Black Leviathan

Default Re: It's 2019. What's your game?

I'm playing some Dungeon Fantasy and having a lot more fun doing it than I should.

I'm running a small game of Fading Suns powered by GURPS.

I've been toying around with a tear-down and rebuild of the Shattered Empire GURPS FANTASY setting we've been playing with. I'm not satisfied with tolkienesque non-humans and looking at re-skinning all of the non-humans.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #12
dcarson

One group I'm in is playing Pathfinder in the Crimson Throne campaign. I think this is the first campaign we've had with a pre done module since we started back in the little brown box days in college. We've played short campaigns in various things but nothing this long that one of us didn't write themselves. When it finishes the plan is I'll run a 60s spy campaign using GURPS, probably at least a year away given how fast we are moving through it.

The other group just put pause on a Rolemaster campaign until one player finishes his thesis and I'm to start a GURPS Space 1889 campaign in a couple of weeks.

My oldest grandkid wants a solo Rolemaster campaign so he can see what that system is like so we just created a rogue character for him. Planning on winging things using my old City State of the Invincible Overlord map and making up targets for him to rob.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #13
martinl

The weekly group is alternating.

One game is a long running Steampunk/James Bond shennanigans thing, currently tracking down some French Guy obsessed with mechanical spiders, but before that we hung out with theosophists in India, mole machine making Welsh coal miners, and steampunk cyber-redcoats. GURPS, ~300 pts at the moment. My PC's schtick is that he is constantly making terribly blatant innuendos but does not understand innuendo at all.

Other game is fantasy street urchins in GURPS (~150 pts). My character is a lost princess little-match-girl luchadora ("Sharknado") with wicked wrassling skills and a three legged dog ("Pupnado"). This PC may or may not be the result of pmandrekar telling me I couldn't play a "Sharknado" as my PC.

There are two irregular DnD 5 games, one is ~Pathfinger Age of Worms campaign in 5e (I'm the GM) and another running Curse of Strahd (my PC is a gnome wizard with Elmo's voice).

Occasional one shots happen when regular GMs are busy. I have posted some of them on this forum (PonyPlex, X-Kromm, Chippendale Rescue Rangers). This Thursday we are considering "Eccentric Maxwell," a Mad Max set in Post Victorian Apocalypse Britain.

It is good to have an active and energized game group.

On reflection, it is also good to have a group that puts up with me. All of my PCs are cray cray.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

GURPS

Running Infinite Cabal, as I have since 2011. Everyone's still having fun, and they haven't broken the universe yet.

Playing Irresponsible and Right, as I have since 2007. Remains the best RPG I have ever played. Also playing The Long Night, which seems to be urban fantasy noir, but we're only two sessions in, with a new GM, so I'm not committing to that genre yet.

(A)D&D

Still playing several sessions linked to the great metacampaign at each Stabcon, a twice-yearly gaming convention in Stockport, UK.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #15
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

No game. GM disappeared to Germany in August. He said it was gonna be 6 months, but I've heard nothing.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #16
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
GURPS

Running Infinite Cabal, as I have since 2011. Everyone's still having fun, and they haven't broken the universe yet.

Playing Irresponsible and Right, as I have since 2007. Remains the best RPG I have ever played. Also playing The Long Night, which seems to be urban fantasy noir, but we're only two sessions in, with a new GM, so I'm not committing to that genre yet.
I'm running Irresponsible and Right, and playing in the other two. Also playing in, and occasionally running, a series of short and largely irreverent games as part of Whartson Hall; and playing an intricate cross-world fantasy game.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #17
tshiggins

I'm also running a somewhat simplified version of Infinite Cabal, myself. We just celebrated our fourth anniversary since the game began.

You can read the session write-ups, on the GURPS forum.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=132172

The next session is tomorrow. :)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #18
RyanW

I'm looking at starting a GURPS western campaign. Probably set in about 1874, in the town of Gallows (not quite sure where Gallows is going to be, but I'm strongly leaning toward Yuma County).
Old 02-24-2019, 06:08 AM   #19
Koshka

A group of us are trying to get a Golden Age Champions (6E) game under way, but between weather and health issues we're having trouble getting together. If this does get off the ground, I'll be GMing it.

My other group continues their custom of playing miniseries instead of campaigns. Right now we're using 5E Hero for a modern-day game based on the TV show Leverage, I'm playing the grifter.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #20
Kallatari

I'm running two GURPS campaigns at the moment, both of which have weekly sessions.

Kandoria: A homemade fantasy world. Although all races have access to (a powers-based) magery, they also each have access to their own unique racial power framework. For example:
- the dwarves are classical dwarven culture (D&D) and are artificers (Technomagic that only works for dwarves);
- the elven tribes are loosely based on the various Amerindian cultures and have Nature powers;
- the cat-folk nations are loosely based on the Chinese and Japanese and have Psionics and Chi powers (all lumped under Chi) to go with their Asian-styled martial arts;
- the orcs are loosely based on the horse-riding archer Huns and use the Chinese Elemental Powers and elementally-infused mounts;
- Humans, based on a mash-up of medieval England and Roman Empire, are the only race with Divine Powers (they claim human gods are the only real gods because of this, and treat other religions as heretics); and
- The lizard men are based on the Aztec and have a shamanistic Spiritual power.
This weekly game has been going on for about 4 years now, and we're about 2/3 of the way done, but they are much more focused on the main quest now, so I estimate just over a year to go. In this campaign, the demons of old (based loosely on the demons of he Supernatural TV show) have returned and are possessing the rulers of the nations and powerful organizations, and the heroes have to figure out how to stop them. Took them the first two years just to figure out ancient demons were involved and possessing people (they've been gone for millenia, so legends and information about them are minimal). They've now finally found enough hints on a magical weapon to actually kill the demons (rather than killing the person they're possessing) and are off dungeon-crawling to find it. If all goes well they should have the weapon in hand sometime in the next few months. The rest of the year or so should then be about tracking the Demons of Old to their home base and eliminating them.

Infinite Worlds: Started this maybe 4 months ago (replacing my recently ended 8-year-long "Tactical Shooting playtest" Counter-Strike campaign). It's an ISWAT campaign, where the players are all outworlders with various powers that Infinity and ISWAT found useful (one's even a Jedi - more accurately, a Frenchman from Cyrano with psionic TK and Telepathy powers and a force sword, saw the Star Wars movies back on Homeline, and then declared himself a Jedi and does his best to emulate them while quoting Star Wars movies with his French accent. One of his quirks is that while his force sword is silent, he vocally makes lightsaber sounds when he swing its; he's trying to get the group inventor to add speakers and noisemaker to his force sword, but he's refusing to help).

So far it's been four relatively mundane/simple adventures to get the players use to the setting and their characters, and to introduce my many NPCs. They're currently on Britanica-6, getting a bit of a Steampunk-themed mission wrapped up. However, the players are now comfortable enough with their character abilities and setting, so the next adventure will start moving onto the real campaign theme at this point (which I have hinted at in previous missions), which is going to be a lot more into the supernatural with the Cabal, demons, astral plane, magical items/reality shards, etc., as well as things like quests for the Holy Grail and Arc of the Covenant (based on some of the character's backgrounds and source of their powers). Basically, missions normally reserved for ISWAT, which is what the characters were designed for. I won't go into details of the exact nature of the campaign story/quest as the players obviously haven't figured it out yet, but like my other campaigns I expect this one to last about 5 years as well.

Obviously, I like making long-term epic quest style campaigns, and my players seem to enjoy playing them.
Kallatari is online now   Reply With Quote