Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
wolf90

Default Iron Mountain

The new, updated version of Iron Mountain has been posted for everyone to enjoy!

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/products...onmountain.pdf

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Iron Mountain

now, if only I had a map...

Oh, wait!!! :-)
Old 02-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
sparky00

This is awesome! i never played the original Iron Mountain scenario back in the day, but I'm grateful to have this updated version to try now.

Thanks so much for including the counters. I may try my hand a making some from chipboard stock. If it goes well, I may do some more of the Battlefields flat counters the same way - it would sure be nice to glue/trim 5-6 counters at once, rather than every one individually on the Nightfall sheets.

I didn't invest in the ODE classic counters, but I must say, looking at these makes it tempting...

This "package" of scenario, specialty counters and map are something I love to see, and I hope we get more of them in the future.

Last edited by sparky00; 02-15-2019 at 05:46 PM.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
Mack_JB

My regular opponent and I played the IM scenario a few times last month, using the new playmat, and minis (trucks sourced from a copy of A&A). We found that first Ogre shot needs to be lucky, and barring that, the player moving the trucks has to be very careful about not accelerating, it causes real traffic jams when things inevitably go south.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
This "package" of scenario, specialty counters and map are something I love to see, and I hope we get more of them in the future.
[Filing away in my "Consider as future concepts" file . . . ]

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
My regular opponent and I played the IM scenario a few times last month, using the new playmat, and minis (trucks sourced from a copy of A&A). We found that first Ogre shot needs to be lucky, and barring that, the player moving the trucks has to be very careful about not accelerating, it causes real traffic jams when things inevitably go south.
That's ultimately the achilles heel of scenarios with limited options. It often boils down to one or two rolls making too much of a difference. The Basic Mark III attacking often _feels_ like the same thing, but it really isn't. "fighting down to the last roll" is a sign of balance, while "you must get a lucky early roll" suggests something more is needed.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
The new, updated version of Iron Mountain has been posted for everyone to enjoy!
Thanks for including the most realistic expression of an officer in the world of Ogre ever printed!
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
dsal

The artwork looks great! And I appreciate the updates to the scenario rules. It's a much better match to the story and clarifies long-standing issues with the movement rules.

However, I'm still concerned about scenario balance. I've played the revised scenario twice now and (just like the prior version of the scenario) it feels like the 4 tread hits the Ogre starts with are a bigger handicap than it can overcome (90% of the time).

I would strongly suggest a couple of simple adjustments to even the odds:

1. Start the game with the Ogre Player's turn.
2. Before the first turn, give the Convoy player a single 2 strength attack on the treads to represent Corporal Jacob's attack, rather than starting with an automatic 4 points of damage.
dsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsal View Post
However, I'm still concerned about scenario balance. I've played the revised scenario twice now and (just like the prior version of the scenario) it feels like the 4 tread hits the Ogre starts with are a bigger handicap than it can overcome (90% of the time).

I would strongly suggest a couple of simple adjustments to even the odds:

1. Start the game with the Ogre Player's turn.
2. Before the first turn, give the Convoy player a single 2 strength attack on the treads to represent Corporal Jacob's attack, rather than starting with an automatic 4 points of damage.
Anyone else finding this to be the case?

D.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #10
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Anyone else finding this to be the case?
I'm not sure two plays is enough to make that call. How many times did you play the original version to come up with the 90% number?

That said, I like the idea of spreading out the initial damage a little bit. It gives some swing to the start of the game instead of starting with a fixed handicap.