Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #131
Shadekeep

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

Glad to hear it's useful! I'll see about tweaking the megahex weight when I tinker with the square megahex settings.

I've thought about adding a floodfill function. I've written those before and they are always a pain to do well, but your suggestion of a simple incremental fill is good. Basically an expanding ring from the point of click. It would probably be wise to make it so that it only fills hexes that don't already have a component at the same level. Cheers!
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #132
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Using the road code means some wonky looking rivers will inevitably result, but hey, a different map is always just a click away. ^_^
You've seen New Orleans, right? :-)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #133
JohnPaulB

Add rivers to Random Map?

Quote:
Thanks! I could add those with the same underlying logic as the roads, and may try to originate them at bodies of water. Using the road code means some wonky looking rivers will inevitably result, but hey, a different map is always just a click away. ^_^
Anything that is wonky on the map can be cleaned up by the user, so that is OK.

If you have mountains, you might have some rivers originate from them. Also, rivers can continue off the maps.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #134
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
If you have mountains, you might have some rivers originate from them. Also, rivers can continue off the maps.
Yes, mountains are the source for many rivers in reality. I was thinking of using the bodies of water as starting points for drawing rivers as they make good reservoirs at the end of the river's journey. But my first run of the random code generates pretty nice rivers without any kind of "pick an origin" extra code, so I think I'll go that way. Mountains and bodies of water do stop the river drawing code, so they do often end up as an origin/terminus for the random river anyway.

In order to properly support the rendering of rivers, I'm adding one more channel-type component called "wide". That way when rivers and roads overlap you can still discern both. I'll roll out the new river code soon with the other changes. Thanks again for the request!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:45 AM   #135
JLV

Keep in mind you can also do clever things with two rivers on opposite sides of a mountain range (assuming their heads are in relatively close proximity), such as stating that the river flows through the mountain range -- thus giving you either an underground river passage, or perhaps an entrance to an otherwise unreachable labyrinth!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #136
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Keep in mind you can also do clever things with two rivers on opposite sides of a mountain range (assuming their heads are in relatively close proximity), such as stating that the river flows through the mountain range -- thus giving you either an underground river passage, or perhaps an entrance to an otherwise unreachable labyrinth!
That's a cool idea, and certainly one could add such a river extension to a random map if it didn't kick it out by default. It does indeed make for a novel way into a dungeon, and finding the way back out could be a major part of the quest. I like! I might even use that as part of one of my settings in the Unknown Places book, if you don't mind.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #137
JLV

Quote:
That's a cool idea, and certainly one could add such a river extension to a random map if it didn't kick it out by default. It does indeed make for a novel way into a dungeon, and finding the way back out could be a major part of the quest. I like! I might even use that as part of one of my settings in the Unknown Places book, if you don't mind.
Feel free to use away!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #138
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Feel free to use away!
Much ta, it's appreciated!
Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #139
misterkeller

Just came across this, and I just want to say "Thank You" for posting this map generator online. It is very useful and very cool!
misterkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #140
kmo

Shadekeep, Shamat is a really impressive tool! Thank you for all of the thoughtful work that has gone into it.

I am working on a project which makes use of maps generated by Shamat, and I wonder if you would clarify one aspect of the SKMR format. How do I interpret the three values in the MHEX directive?

Thank you!
kmo is offline   Reply With Quote