Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
malchidael

Default TFT Labyrinth Adventures

Way back in the ancient days (2000/2001), I was on the TFT mailing list, and started a discussion about a TFT/Warhammer Quest mashup I called TFT Labyrinth Adventures. I never took it far beyond the humble beginnings on the mailing list, although I had a number of email exchanges with another person about it (and Dan T, if you're out there - Hello!).

With the relaunch of TFT, I've started thinking about it again. I started sketching out tiles to mimic the tiles in the original Warhammer Quest, but mashing hexes into rectangular corridors and rooms just doesn't work well (specifically when it comes to 3-way and 4-way corridors). Steve Jackson Games' cardboard heroes dungeon floors had both horizontal and vertical corridors; I want to avoid that, but it's probably not possible.

I'm going to keep futzing with it and see what I get.

And if anyone wants a laugh - here's a PDF of the original playing pieces I drew up for TFT Labyrinth Adventures back in 2000.

All attached PDF's are Copyright 2000-2018 Anthony Merlock. You are all permitted to download them, print them, crumple them up and toss them in the trash, laugh at them, and openly mock them.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:24 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: TFT Labyrinth Adventures

Thanks for the counters! Some of my home-made counters from back in the day were about on par with those, and some of yours I'd be happy enough to use. (Yes, I am a counter art hoarder...)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
malchidael

Glad to share. Every once in a blue moon I consider actually practicing my stick figures and redrawing this set. But, then I see all the other projects on my 'to-do' pile and cry :)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
luguvalium

Those are GREAT!
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
Way back in the ancient days (2000/2001), I was on the TFT mailing list, and started a discussion about a TFT/Warhammer Quest mashup I called TFT Labyrinth Adventures. I never took it far beyond the humble beginnings on the mailing list, although I had a number of email exchanges with another person about it (and Dan T, if you're out there - Hello!).

With the relaunch of TFT, I've started thinking about it again. I started sketching out tiles to mimic the tiles in the original Warhammer Quest, but mashing hexes into rectangular corridors and rooms just doesn't work well (specifically when it comes to 3-way and 4-way corridors). Steve Jackson Games' cardboard heroes dungeon floors had both horizontal and vertical corridors; I want to avoid that, but it's probably not possible.

And if anyone wants a laugh - here's a PDF of the original playing pieces I drew up for TFT Labyrinth Adventures back in 2000.

All attached PDF's are Copyright 2000-2018 Anthony Merlock. You are all permitted to download them, print them, crumple them up and toss them in the trash, laugh at them, and openly mock them.
I like the stick figures. I have been futzing around with something very similar for a few years now but my efforts are based on Death Maze and Citadel of Blood. I'm planning to use VERY simple/light TFT-ish mechanics. My working title for the project is: Maze of Blood and Death (or Mobad for short). For my project, I would only need 1 room map and 2 corridors (one vertical and one horizontal) that get re-used. Not a lot of details in this dungeon.

I never played Warhammer Quest but I have acquired most of the tiles, cards, etc. of the original game in digital format. I would love to play that with TFT rules. You could use a square grid. There was a good thread on here about using TFT with square grids. You could also use a staggered grid and avoid any sort of "conversion" antics. But it seems like facing would get too "fuzzy" with staggered squares.

Myself, I wouldn't worry too much about the change of hex-grains between rooms/corridors. Only the threshold areas will be a little fuzzy in terms of movement. Another approach would be to not use the outlines of the hexes on the tiles but use dots instead. Each dot would be the center of a hex. You can make the center dot of a megahex larger or a different color or something. Wouldn't look quite as funny visually as two different hex-grains meeting in a doorway.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
JLV

Quote:
-snip-

With the relaunch of TFT, I've started thinking about it again. I started sketching out tiles to mimic the tiles in the original Warhammer Quest, but mashing hexes into rectangular corridors and rooms just doesn't work well (specifically when it comes to 3-way and 4-way corridors).

-snip-
Once again, I'll throw this link back up (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=157237) for your consideration. I refer you specifically to the link in the first post, which might be of some use to you.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
JLV

Quote:

I gotta say, I LIKE those stick figures. Almost like you could use them to sim out the adventures of the Order of the Stick!!! Way cool!
Old 02-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #8
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I gotta say, I LIKE those stick figures. Almost like you could use them to sim out the adventures of the Order of the Stick!!! Way cool!
I was inspired by S. John Ross' Risus stick figures - he has some paper miniature fonts on DriveThruRPG (called Sparks). Back in 2000, he opened an invite for people to submit drawings for a scrapbook Sparks font set, and I submitted one of my goblins.

You may be seeing more :) Had to make a hard decision - a new symbol set for CC3, or their Character Artist tool to make tokens. And the new symbol set won.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #9
JLV

Well, I admire your work regardless! Your stick figures are awesome, and your other choices look pretty good too, so no problem either way.