Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Web based adventures

I'm just about finished writing the intro for "Curse of the Necropus" in Death-Test paragraph format and will hopefully get that part live on the web shortly.

My current decision point is how to handle game state. (I'm most certainly going to use PHP and I really don't want to setup a local database with user accounts and such.) Should I:

100: Put the full game state including character sheets into a JSON POST blob and trust in the multi-megabyte post-ability of modern browsers?

234: As above, but encrypt the blob to protect against cheaters?

312: Break down and use local storage on the server?

or

425: Go back through the door I came in.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Web based adventures

I've got almost all of the first day completed. Don't try to move to the second day or the game will crash.

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/necropus/

Next up are the twin tormentors.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I'm just about finished writing the intro for "Curse of the Necropus" in Death-Test paragraph format and will hopefully get that part live on the web shortly.

My current decision point is how to handle game state. (I'm most certainly going to use PHP and I really don't want to setup a local database with user accounts and such.) Should I:

100: Put the full game state including character sheets into a JSON POST blob and trust in the multi-megabyte post-ability of modern browsers?

234: As above, but encrypt the blob to protect against cheaters?

312: Break down and use local storage on the server?

or

425: Go back through the door I came in.
You should do what you want, but it would be best if game state can somehow be preserved and restored even if the user's browser or computer crashes, etc. You could hack a saved game feature where they can email themselves or save to file a saved game blob which can be loaded into a later session.

Ideally though it's nicest for players if the server can preserve state for them.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
zot

Browsers can handle a TON of text. I'd recommend a simple JavaScript front-end using localStorage because it's very simple to deal with and it persists data across browsing sessions.

If you want to let users save and restore their state to/from their own hard drive, you can just save/load the JSON for localStorage. Here's how to save a file and here's how to load a file.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
hcobb

The problem with putting everything into Javascript is that it would copy over all those SJG rulebook tables. You'd be downloading the rulebook in order to play, which is a no-no.

I'm trying the hidden post save again. You can go see if that works for you.

I'll add in the file save once I get past the first month's introduction and on to the live action.

Here's an example of the entire code for one page:

<?php
$ptext = '<p>"That\'s fine, Miss Tsozan." Sandra stands on tiptoes to put the brand back into the bracket then walks back into the manor.</p>';
$rest = 15 * $tft['pc']->FT;
$tft['pc']->FT = 0;
$tft['minute'] += $rest;
$pgch[535] = "You rest for $rest minutes";
?>

What takes most of the time is the writing:

"Teach me to be a wizard."

"You're too old to become a wizard."

"How is this the one thing I'm not too young for?"

"How do you stand up?"

"What does that have to do with it? I've got legs and I stand on the ground."

"You can stand because you are aware of the physical world around you. Your senses let you react automatically for sloping ground, gusts of wind and everything else."

"Don't you do the same when you walk around?"

"When I was six they broke my soul. There will always be a fracture right down the middle. Only half of me is here with you in this physical world and it will always be twice as difficult for me to learn mundane skills because half of my attention is always in a far different place balancing not against physical ground and winds but instead against the local flow of mana."

"Can't you at least teach me spells?"

"I can, but it will be very very difficult for you. I will have to teach you to go through the same exact motions, say the same exact things, think the same exact thoughts over and over and over again, because you will never hear the echoes of your own soul against the local mana field."

Last edited by hcobb; 02-02-2019 at 07:44 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
hcobb

I can easily host other web based adventures. Just let me know.

I can take an adventure defined in Death Test paragraphs and convert it over with variables to track loot and such.

Allowing the players to freely define characters who can then undergo hidden rolls for spot trap or disbelieve illusion is a harder task I'm not setup for yet.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
hcobb

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/necropus/index.php

Still very much in story telling mode, but the Molly and Sandy show is finally out in the wilderness, hot on a trail that's only half a century old for reasons untold to them.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
Jack O'All Trades

"Here is your current character sheet. You may copy this down for future reference:

Mowlthi Tsozan Goblin Wizard Apprentice Age:20 ST:6 DX:9 IQ:17 MA:10"

How incredibly on-brand of you :)
Jack O'All Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack O'All Trades View Post
"Here is your current character sheet. You may copy this down for future reference:

Mowlthi Tsozan Goblin Wizard Apprentice Age:20 ST:6 DX:9 IQ:17 MA:10"

How incredibly on-brand of you :)
And the very next random fleet name I get in Ultracorps is: Low-Carb Goblin

The IQ 17 starting character is perhaps the least-munchkin character in the party.