Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Resources for volva or seidr-witch character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncarryer View Post
Okay, hang on a sec. I still haven't looked at Powers, but I re-read Clairsentience in a friend's Characters, and how exactly do you see this advantage meeting my needs and filling the same kind of role as a rune-mage and a cleric/godar?
I think he's going of the folkloric powers rather than the role you intend it to fill.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think he's going of the folkloric powers rather than the role you intend it to fill.
That is entirely possible. The words used have very specific meanings in that culture, especially the social stigma I recomended earlier.
This is considered very "unmanly".
They are also less able to get help from spirits then other cultures shaman and its focused more on fortune telling and research but still some communication and aid can be barred. Odin was said to have learned Rune Lore this way by hanging himself from the world tree in return for knowledge.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
joncarryer

Ah, I think I see. I'm guessing that when I do get my Powers out, I'll find an enhancement that allows Clairsentience to send your senses to an otherworldly spot instead of just around the corner? That would indeed be a good way of making the volva's spirit interactions less flashy and powerful than your basic shaman.

I was also thinking of putting some Herbalism-based alchemy into the template, either as an alternative option, or in addition to the spirit-communication. That way, I can focus the "doing stuff" abilities, like healing and such, on the Herbalism, and the "knowing stuff" abilities on the spirit contact/Clairvoyance.
joncarryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncarryer View Post
Ah, I think I see. I'm guessing that when I do get my Powers out, I'll find an enhancement that allows Clairsentience to send your senses to an otherworldly spot instead of just around the corner? That would indeed be a good way of making the volva's spirit interactions less flashy and powerful than your basic shaman.

I was also thinking of putting some Herbalism-based alchemy into the template, either as an alternative option, or in addition to the spirit-communication. That way, I can focus the "doing stuff" abilities, like healing and such, on the Herbalism, and the "knowing stuff" abilities on the spirit contact/Clairvoyance.
Powers ads two enhancements in this case.
Projection which is often a limitation on several powers but there is a version that is an enhancement also and it lets you send out your spirit while leaving your body behind. Used on Alternate Form, Clarsentience, Duplication, etc.
World Spanning which lets you send to anther plane.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, seidr, vikings, volva