Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
mikec964

Default Longboat races (and other group activities)

My Viking players are about to race their longboat against another. It's a friendly race between two crews that have an intense rivalry. I'm looking for house rules to use to make the race fun.

Worst case, I could do something like declare the race to be the first to reach 50, rolling a d6 each turn. But there's got to be something that will give it more flavor.

I'm thinking it should involve the crew skills of someone who calls out the rowing tempo, someone at the rudder, and the captain, plus the sum of the strength skills of everyone else. But it would be more fun if there were some decisions to make with consequences.

The race can be rowing or sailing; I'll run with whichever is more fun.

FWIW, the crew on their ship is four PCs and a dozen NPCs (not to scale, but easier to keep track of in role play), and the other crew will be 16 NPCs.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you have.
mikec964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Longboat races (and other group activities)

Extra effort. The bigger a penalty rowers accept, the bigger the bonus. But if they fail their average roll, they get no bonus. Roll for multiple sections of the race separately.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Anthony

The way to make a race fun is to have something going on other than the race. The race itself is inherently rather boring unless there's a substantial chance of at least one ship not finishing the race at all. However, the setup and aftermath has plenty of potential.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Gigermann

Use the Chase mechanic in Action 2: Exploits—with plenty of Complimentary bonuses for the rest of the crew, etc. Also, it wouldn't be out of the question to use a tweak on Mass Combat (specifically, WRT heroic actions, etc.—"casualties" would probably be converted to "lead").
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Extra effort. The bigger a penalty rowers accept, the bigger the bonus. But if they fail their average roll, they get no bonus. Roll for multiple sections of the race separately.
This. And for the one who calls out the rowing tempo choice of rolling (a)Leadership to give it's bonuses to Will rolls of Extra Effort or (b)Intimidation to give similar penalties to opposing team.

Tags
racing, sailing ships, vikings