Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #71
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
HoJ is being printed and shipped from the UK, which makes a big difference.
This. Specifically this. The odd thing here was that nearly 30% of HoJ came from "not the USA," which is about twice as high as my usual projects. So international shipping was very high on my mind for this one, as getting a book of roughly 500g mass from the US to "not the US" is anywhere from $16 to $40, with $25-30 being very common.

I found a good fulfillment guy in the UK to ship books printed in the UK - a nice state of affaris - but had the KS done a bit better and we were able to go offset from the Far East, I'd have had to find another partner to help move a few hundred books out, and the rest to me.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #72
bert

Eric, I may be a rather old fart, but DFRPG is new. D&D and Runequest are old, in my humble opinion. :)
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #73
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Eric, I may be a rather old fart, but DFRPG is new. D&D and Runequest are old, in my humble opinion. :)
In this day and age a product is new for about 15 minutes before it hits the 50% bin. It's an unfortunate truth of the modern gaming industry because products come out so fast, from so many companies. 20 years ago it was not unheard of for a company to print a game and hold onto it for 5 years while it slowly sold out. Now if it hasn't sold out in 5 months it's a disaster.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #74
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
DFRPG shipped to Europe at a fairly reasonable rate. The difference in shipping rates for DFRPG is down to the difference between shipping one box from the US to Sweden and shipping an entire pallet to a distribution center somewhere in Europe. HoJ is being printed and shipped from the UK, which makes a big difference.
FWIW shipping from the US seems to be only of the very expensive and very fast variety, while shipping from other countries still has the option of slower and less expensive.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #75
bert

Quote:
In this day and age a product is new for about 15 minutes before it hits the 50% bin. It's an unfortunate truth of the modern gaming industry because products come out so fast, from so many companies. 20 years ago it was not unheard of for a company to print a game and hold onto it for 5 years while it slowly sold out. Now if it hasn't sold out in 5 months it's a disaster.
I agree that it seem to be this way, but what you are describing is a property of the market, not the product.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:22 AM   #76
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
I agree that it seem to be this way, but what you are describing is a property of the market, not the product.
It's a property of the distribution chain. When a Kickstarter first comes out the manufacturer can afford to drop-ship an entire palette to the EU for reduced price shipping for any backers. When a product goes to the distribution chain the distributors rebundle products onto mixed palettes and ship those to the EU, which means that retailers can get it for a more reasonable price.

However, DFRPG is through those two phases now; it's almost sold out and retailers and distributors may not have any left and probably can't order any more. This means you're stuck buying it from whatever retailers have it left, for whatever price they ask for, and paying whatever shipping they require - or you just don't get the product. If you wanted it at a better price you should have gotten it sooner.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 AM   #77
lachimba

Quote:

My prediction.

In ten years we will see a very different distribution/ production model for boardgames.

Check back here in ten years to tell me how wrong/how right I was.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #78
David Johansen

Quote:
Distribution seem to be an issue these days.
Much like the rest of the industry, distributors have had to adapt to survive. Gone are the days when you can order a supplement that came out two years ago and get a copy. I really think some kind of in house print on demand system is the future for a lot of things but rpgs in particular. International shipping and tariffs being the big bugaboos lurking in the shadows. I also wonder if retail 3d printing will be important. It's a bigger investment as you need a number of machines to manage any kind of production speed but you also need to be able to produce a higher resolution product.

I think carrying inventory will be a thing of the past. My own failed business model was to try carrying lines in detail and promote those lines. My intent was to try and find a new business model that would allow for some variety and product depth. The biggest problem I've faced is getting product. Kickstarter really changed the industry in the last six years but what retailer can afford to tie up thousands of dollars to make a retailer level pledge on multiple lines in hope of having product to sell in a year or two?
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:21 AM   #79
lachimba

And again!

https://youtu.be/EFkMniOcTFU?t=20m57s
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
board game breakfast, dfrpg, gurps