Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: Infinite Worlds Supers worlds -how many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That is why the -10% Supers limitation should be required for such super characters... again unless you want to allow the odd super PC.
In a world jumping campiagn in which 'super powers' might not work in all worlds, sure.
I wouldn't allow the limitation if it meant nothing.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
In a world jumping campiagn in which 'super powers' might not work in all worlds, sure.
I wouldn't allow the limitation if it meant nothing.
That's what I meant. The limitation is to act as a "it works only here" thing so as to avoid the multiverse ruled by world jumping supers.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That's what I meant. The limitation is to act as a "it works only here" thing so as to avoid the multiverse ruled by world jumping supers.

Makes sense.

Limitations like that become more important in a crossworld setting in which the rules vary from world to world, for sure!
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Limitations like that become more important in a crossworld setting in which the rules vary from world to world, for sure!
I'd give -15% for the power mod in an IW campaign in which I expected this to come up a lot (ie: No superpowers unless you're currently on a superpowered world). The standard -10% for Super is composed of -5% for anti-powers and -5% for technological countermeasures, with nothing for removable ambient conditions.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I'd give -15% for the power mod in an IW campaign in which I expected this to come up a lot (ie: No superpowers unless you're currently on a superpowered world). The standard -10% for Super is composed of -5% for anti-powers and -5% for technological countermeasures, with nothing for removable ambient conditions.
I agree the base "Super" modifier doesn't cover being dependant on ambient conditions, however I don't think -5% is enough to cover it if it comes up a lot. Looking at the "Magical" modifier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Powers page 27
Your power channels ambient magical energy (mana). This is difficult to block and found almost everywhere. “No-mana zones” – areas where your power doesn’t work at all – occur only rarely in nature. However, low-mana zones are more common, and all rolls to use your abilities are at -5 in such regions. This aspect of the limitation is worth -5%.
While it is not uncommon to have your magic weakened, it's rare to have it not work at all. If you are playing a world jumping game in which super powers rarely work, then I'd bump it up to -10% for requiring ambient conditions for "Super" modifier total of -20%.

EDIT:
Actually, after thinking about it I'd use the Accessibility on powers page 99; if you as the GM think the PC will only be able to use their super powers 82-93% of the time then it's -5%, if you think they will able to use their super powers 1-6% of the time then it's -40%.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 10-24-2012 at 09:47 AM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
Jasonft

I could easily see Cosmic being added to a power (or super stat) as a requirement for that ability working in a timeline other than your own. Possibly even Cosmic (x2) for it working without any changes at all.

Exceptions might be made for the dimension travel power itself if the GM is feeling generous.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
Astromancer

I think that one thing that is vital to mixing Infinite Worlds and Supers is having a modle of how the different means of World-Hopping work. Are your supers free-rovers in the multiverse or are they somehow anchored? Infinity has different issues involved in reaching the further away Quantuums, do the Supers have the same problems? Are there worlds that Infinity can reach that the Supers can't? Can the supers go places Infinity can't? Does either side ever need, or think it needs, the other?

Answering these questions would define the campaign and many of its conflicts.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
I could easily see Cosmic being added to a power (or super stat) as a requirement for that ability working in a timeline other than your own. Possibly even Cosmic (x2) for it working without any changes at all.
This is actually, explicitly, addressed in GURPS Powers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers, pg 26
Your power originates from the energy of creation! Your abilities ignore the ordinary countermeasures that work against wild advantages, and you always have access to them – nothing can neutralize your power or cut off its energy source. This is identical to the +50% level of the Cosmic enhancement on p. B103.
Emphasis from book.

So, if you purchase Cosmic either as your power modifier, or purchase it as an enhancement to keep them working, they always work.

Me, I like supers and powers--makes things interesting. They don't cause any level of trouble in envisioning an Alternate Worlds game. Heck, almost all of my games are an alternate worlds game, though I don't use the Infinate Worlds setting.

ETA
If you really want to get to the brass tacks, the Divine Power modifier also lets you keep your powers regardless of the world you're in:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers, pg 26
A deity grants you your power. Nothing can prevent your god’s power from reaching you . . . but your patron expects certain behavior in return. The precise details depend on your god.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
... and references to a third IST timeline (rebels) I can't find any real info on.
Here you go - it's metadata rather than setting data, but it's probably the best we're ever going to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
I was wondering what approaches other people have taken. New info supersedes old, so "Kryptons" are retconned out of existence? Everything is true and nothing is forbidden, so that there's a bare minimum of 5 modern superhero timelines in the canon?
I count nine in this thread that the IST author took part in...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 09-15-2017 at 08:11 PM. Reason: the forum has moved - updating the links to match
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Reality quakes allow all answers to be true and false. :)

Tags
infinite worlds, international super teams