Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #31
Spudzill

Default Re: Infinite Worlds, which wordline are we in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
This is a common trope (infinite amounts->every describable thing is there) but I don't think it is true.

There are an infinite amount of rational numbers, but there are no irrational numbers in the set of rational numbers.

Similarly, there may very well be an infinite number of universes, none of which is the Universe depicted in the Smurfs cartoon.

That said, if you like that trope, go ahead and use it.
Hmmmm....Peyco-1?
Old 01-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Similarly, there may very well be an infinite number of universes, none of which is the Universe depicted in the Smurfs cartoon.

That said, if you like that trope, go ahead and use it.
A psuedo-medieval world with a dying race of small blue elves isn't that spectacular. Now, trying to determine Gargamel's motivation for capturing them requires advanced physics. Eat them, turn them into gold? If so, then what about the time he created one magically? It'll make your head explode if you dwell on it too long.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #33
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
A psuedo-medieval world with a dying race of small blue elves isn't that spectacular. Now, trying to determine Gargamel's motivation for capturing them requires advanced physics. Eat them, turn them into gold? If so, then what about the time he created one magically? It'll make your head explode if you dwell on it too long.
Only if you insist on a sane motivation. Delusion (Smurfs are IMPORTANT, I'm not quite sure how, try stuff to find out) -15 points seems to cover it pretty well.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #34
quarkstomper

I once got attacked by a hundred Smurfs in a D&D campaign once. If I hadn't been wielding that Giant Flyswatter +3 vs. Smurfs, they could have killed me. Come to think of it, that was the campaign where we had a Cleric of Gargamel in our party. I don't remember why he didn't kill the Smurfs. Probably because I was the one stupid enough to open the large chest.

Um... I'm off-topic, aren't I.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #35
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
We're not Homeline after a divergence point. At least, certainly not a divergence point centering on the development of parachronics.

Our timeline would be startling to Homeliners, because we have a game called GURPS that includes a setting which describes Homeline, Centrum, and the infinite worlds. If our game accurately describes them, they'd certainly be interested in gathering intelligence from us.

This reminds me of TV shows and films that take place in the modern world, except without any reference to themselves. For instance, every time a Star Trek story takes place in modern times, it must do so in a world without Star Trek.
That's why Urban Arcana for d20 Modern was such a rotten campaign concept.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #36
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I prefer to assume that it is not that fiction creates worlds, or that writers can't make up their own stories, but that fiction, and the influence it has on the audience's mind, draws parallels in which elements similar or identical to those of the stories into proximity with the universes where those stories appeared.
I like any idea that could result in a world that is like Work of Fiction X, except for one or two details slightly different just to mess with people. :) Imagine visiting an Arthurian parallel, where his wife is named Miriam or something; if I were IP that would make me really nervous. :)
Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 AM   #37
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
That's why Urban Arcana for d20 Modern was such a rotten campaign concept.
Please clarify. What did Urban Arcana do?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #38
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
This reminds me of TV shows and films that take place in the modern world, except without any reference to themselves. For instance, every time a Star Trek story takes place in modern times, it must do so in a world without Star Trek.
Except STAR TREK does exist in the BABYLON 5 universe. Apparently the videos are polayed and enjoyed far enough into the future that Ivanova can make a pun off the show's into concluding line.

When she saw that a clothes-less propaganda official was about to do some over-enthusiastic recruiting of Captain Sheridan she said : "It looks like you're about to go where everybody's gone before. "

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 AM   #39
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Please clarify. What did Urban Arcana do?
You had this sort of urban fantasy type thing going on. It was all well and good until your PCs encounter a gnoll pimp, at which point one of the nerdier PCs would say,"What, a gnoll? Seriously?"
Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #40
Stormcrow

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Except STAR TREK does exist in the BABYLON 5 universe. Apparently the videos are polayed and enjoyed far enough into the future that Ivanova can make a pun off the show's into concluding line.
That's nice and all, but it has nothing to do with what I wrote. I was not referring to a Real World and a World of Fiction; I was referring to the Real World and the World of Star Trek. The World of Babylon 5 is a completely different world that I wasn't considering at all.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds