Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Does either subtype of ST apply to ST requirements for weapons?

I assume it's either Lifting ST or neither. Talking about guns, not melee weapons, if that matters. I'm trying to figure out how many levels of Hand Cannon I need to buy.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Rupert

Default Re: Does either subtype of ST apply to ST requirements for weapons?

I would assume Lifting ST, especially for guns.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:06 AM   #3
Gnaskar

From the unofficial FAQ

Quote:
Arm ST always helps if it applies to all arms necessary to use the weapon. It's rather useful! If you have a two-handed weapon, however, and only one arm has the Arm ST, it doesn't help at all; always use the "weakest link."

Lifting ST helps with non-muscle-powered weapons, like firearms. The ST requirement for these weapons is primarily due to their mass, and Lifting ST helps with that. Their standard operation requires you to hold them steady, not to swing or a stab with them dynamically. (With some weapons, like heavy-recoil slugthrowers, Striking ST could be argued to help, but this kickback is still less of an issue than the weapon's mass -- thus, always use Lifting ST.)

Striking ST helps with muscle-powered weapons, from swords to thrown daggers to bows. The ST requirement for these weapons is primarily due to the need to use them dynamically -- you have to be able to swing, thrust, or pull with great force, which is what Striking ST is all about. (To some degree, Lifting ST could be argued to help, as it allows you to more easily support the weapon, but that's less of an issue than the need to attack with the weapon -- thus, always use Striking ST.)

So note that you can combine ST, Arm ST, and one of Lifting ST or Striking ST for the purpose of meeting a weapon's minimum ST requirement -- but you'll never combine Lifting ST and Striking ST.
Gnaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
awesomenessofme1

Thank you. I'd checked the official FAQ, but I didn't think to look there.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote