Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
exalted

Default Re: What do you serve with games?

The games start at random local place that serve decent food, a while later we get to my place happy and well feed and start playing each person having brought anything else that should be eaten.

The only constant is lots of strong coffee for anyone who wants it and no nuts due to allergies :D
exalted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:04 PM   #12
Michael Cule

Most of my gaming is in the evenings from about six or seven pm till nine or ten. Some people bring snacks. Our host provides tea (the drink not the meal) and on Monday nights home baked biscuits. (Recently I used them as test beds for the ginger biscuits and syllabub I did for my medieval society on St Valentines.) In one group some members bring their takeway suppers bought from the fine vendors of High Wycombe. (A vegetarian noodle dish for Drak and a kebab for Graham.)

In neither of my two regular groups does Mine Host provide a meal though when we meet at Roger's on weekends his wife provides a meal and we accept it gratefully.

So it varies.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #13
whswhs

I don't serve things. The custom in many of my games has been for each player to bring a contribution. We generally try to take each other's sensitivities into account.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #14
tshiggins

Most of my players are women, and when they get together, food just sorta... happens.

I think it started when they realized how much work I put into cleaning my place and getting the session ready, so they decided to supply snacks.

Then, the kitchen remodel finally got done, and I got a new range, so (of course) they had to break it in.... :)

Yeah. The food at my sessions varies widely, and it's always really good.

I do provide drinks, though. Bailey's & Coffee is always popular on cold Colorado winter days.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #15
Dr. Beckenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post

Yeah. The food at my sessions varies widely, and it's always really good.
So, you basically GM for food? :-)
Old 03-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #16
Mark Caliber

I have a collection of young and new role players and I'm currently struggling financially. In that vein, I'm trying to keep the player expenses very very low.

We've settled on the convention that if you're going to eat, bring something to eat! I do my best to have fed myself before the session start, and so far so good.

I do have plenty of fridge space and while we're still settling in, most of the players show up with take out food and snacks.

I'm not quite to the wealth level of "Dead Broke" but firmly in the "Poor" category. The GM in the sky and I are arguing bitterly over the disadvantages that I've been assigned recently and the good news is that at least I can expect the Wealth level to improve . . .

Things may change later this year as my finances settle.

The other two groups that I participate with operate on similar conventions. Occasionally the host family will offer a simple meal and "Bring your own drinks" is the rule as opposed to the exception.

In the past the one regular group that I participated with were good about having each family rotate for providing the main meal and that seemed to work nicely. Personally I hope to get back to something like this in the future.

As an odd side note, one of the groups that I participate the host family that will occasionally offer a simple meal. When they learned that I was prescribed the KETO diet, they took a look at that diet and a week later, their next dinner was KETO compliant. I was surprised to pick up a Keto convert, but we're all losing weight and feeling healthier. (Nice side effect).

It's not ideal, but we're making it work (for now).
Old 03-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #17
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
So, you basically GM for food? :-)
It definitely helps keep me motivated. :)
Old 03-03-2020, 06:15 AM   #18
Dr. Beckenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
It definitely helps keep me motivated. :)
Hehe. Bake a pie for the GM. Go up a level.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #19
Michele

We have no customs.
We usually meet for our dinner with games at a friend's, but not always; sometimes I'm the host, or someone else.
We often order pizza and everyone brings some drinks (usually beer and Prosecco, though there are those who have a deviant, unexplainable propensity for soft drinks), or possibly a cake, or a bag of chips, or something else.
But sometimes, the host offers the dinner (and others still bring drinks and stuff, so that sometimes we just have to store some bottles away for the next time).
Other times yet, we get organized, and every course gets assigned to one or two people - and that ends with the host having leftovers for at least a meal.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #20
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
Hehe. Bake a pie for the GM. Go up a level.
That's not "motivation." That's an attempt to cheat. :)

It's also not needed. If players want extra experience points for their characters, they can post artwork, in-character journal entries or after-action reports, or anything else that enhances the game for everyone.

Anten does that, regularly. He's also a pretty good cook. :)

Tags
drink, food