Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
Maz

Default [Powers] 'Porting things you can see into your hand?

So, I need a power that lets you teleport things into your hand.

I know of Exoteleport from Psionic powers. But it also allow you to send things far away.

I want to just be able to port a thing I can see into my hand, and at a limited range (like 10y-20y or so).

Question 1: How can I tweak Exoteleport to be limited to only port items to me and with a limited range?

At 46 points I could instead get Level 23 of Telekinesis with Attraction only. Then I might not be able to "teleport" items. But I can move up to 105 lb 23 y/s. witch seem a tad more usefull for the same cost.

Of course pulling things with TK isn't exactly the same. People would see the thing go past them, and the object would have to move the physical distance so if there is something in the way they would hit it (such as a glasswindow). Or the item might not be able to fit through something (such as a fence or net).

Question 2: Is Exoteleport really worth so much more than this TK-version?

Last edited by Maz; 11-24-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Powers] 'Porting things you can see into your hand?

Tack on an Accessibility,only to you not from you.
And yes, it is worth more than TK since not only can people see and try to stop it from reaching you you can teleport it through windows, bars, etc.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

An objects only limitation may be appropriate, as may weight limits. I think vision based reversed may also be appropriate.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #4
Balor Patch

Telekinesis (No Signature)?
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:30 AM   #5
Maz

Rereading Exoteleport in Psionic Powers in order to figure out how to slap on modifiers such as Accessibility that Refplace suggest, I find it's build really confusing. So, after reading it a few more times I think I got it, but there are still one thing I am unsure about:

How many rolls do you make to activate it and at what penalty?
It's a Malediction 2 affliction. So it uses Speed/range penalties to the target right? It would be based on IQ instead of Will (thanks to the modifier).

But then you must also make a teleportation roll, based on your own IQ? But why is that a modifier on your affliction and not the Warp power?

Or do you only make one roll? Speed/range penalties isn't mentioned at all in the description. Is this an oversight or deliberate? If deliberate, what part of the power allows this?

I would have thought that you should first make a "to hit roll" and then if you hit, then you would make a IQ check to see if the warp worked. Now it's a malediction the nthe "to hit roll" is replaced by a Will check, modified to be an IQ check. But does this check get to work for both the "to hit" and the "warp" and how does the targets resist-roll factor in?
Old 11-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
Plane

Is this basically "Snatcher" except you're grabbing stuff in the same dimension instead of a different one?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Is this basically "Snatcher" except you're grabbing stuff in the same dimension instead of a different one?
Funny you should ask because back in 2006 (yes that long ago) when I first tried to build this power (as part of porting a different setting to GURPS) I was also going with a snatcher variant.

And ultimately I decided against it because what I was looking for was simply so much more restrictive than Snatcher and mechanically too fundamentally different except for the visual affect of an item appearing in your hand.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The fluff on snatcher really has very little to do with how the ability actually works. You are allowed to conjure copies of items that exist or that that could very well exist. The "Alternate World" stuff is just a way of conveying what sort of things aren't appropriate. And even then the rule required clarification. If it had said "copy of" the advantage would work just about the same way.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The fluff on snatcher really has very little to do with how the ability actually works. You are allowed to conjure copies of items that exist or that that could very well exist. The "Alternate World" stuff is just a way of conveying what sort of things aren't appropriate. And even then the rule required clarification. If it had said "copy of" the advantage would work just about the same way.
The problems with snatcher is mechanical. I don't want it to create but steal. What sort of modifier should this be? It's in some ways better in others worse.
Snatcher has no inherited rules for range nor rules for targets attempting to resist, I would like to have those but am unsure how to put them on snatcher.

Snatcher is just really expensive to begin with because it's supposed to be a really, really powerful ability. I would quickly "run out" of limitations and reach a -80% cap in order to tone it down enough to fit my use. And I still have other modifiers I want to put on it to fit the psionic lense in my setting.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #10
whswhs

Add the Anchored limitation from GURPS Powers. It lets your Warp work only to get objects to a specified place. For -50% you can define a new place by spending 1 minute there and concentrating, which is approximately what you want.

If you don't want the 1 minute, note that baseline Warp is 100 points. Warp with this version of Anchored is 50 points. But it implicitly has Preparation Required, 1 minuted, for -20%. So I would look at No Preparation Required as either +20% or +25%. There's also the minor disadvantage that if you go from A to B, you don't have the option of saying "I still want things to go to A"; the location has to move with you. So I'd call that a net -30% version of Anchored.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote