Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #31
andreww

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

So one character consistently gets NaN? What is unique about that character? What weapon? What talent? That should be easy to fix if I knew when it happened.

I thought DX penalties *definitely* cleared, I'll look for that. It's bizarre that they would persist over an adventure reset.

It's kind of too late for unit tests. I wish I had them in mind when I made some of the design decisions.

You should be able to select a one handed weapons and a shield, in which case the shield should work. You don't need to ready it. If you are using a two handed weapon it ignores the shield, but it should work without specific readying with a one-handed weapon.

Thanks everyone!
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #32
andreww

One thing I am keen to hear from people about is low-memory situations. If you have relatively little RAM and storage I want to know if the characters and their adventure progress persist. They should. But mobile devices make interesting choices for you if you get low on storage. From the looks of things most people have recent, capacious devices. If you happen not to be in that boat, or if you have an older device laying around, it would make me very happy to hear that when the device barely has room for the app that the characters are safe. This is probably not a problem, but if it is I need to know as soon as possible, since the fix could be involved.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #33
revshafer

Just getting into it. Having some issues with scrolling, but might be my ham like thumbs. Switching between iPad and iPhone to compare.
revshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #34
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
So one character consistently gets NaN? What is unique about that character? What weapon? What talent? That should be easy to fix if I knew when it happened.
It's a pretty run of the mill fighter. ST 10 DX 14(13) IQ8 Saber, Horse Bow, Small Shield, Cloth armor.

Just used saber and shield, never tried the bow.
1) Lost an arena combat to the two goblins (got numbers for damage)
2) Cleared progress
3) In the next arena combat and thereafter, that character always gets NaN when rolling for damage and NaN as the total damage. The opponents get numbers.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:11 PM   #35
andreww

Okay, version 0.9.1 is up. Android users can get it from the same link. iOS users should get a message when Apple okays the new version.

Most of the things people brought up have been fixed. Still outstanding:

Changing weapons when not engaged
Two weapons skill hit-and-parry
Pole weapons vs Illusions/Summoned
Dazzle spell

The Android back button should not return you to the main menu. That's something I'd like to hear about.

Fonts, spacing, positioning, tablets, these are still in progress.

There are some sequencing problems in combat.

Hopefully those two big things will get done by sometime Friday or Saturday. After that I shouldn't be spamming you with new versions every day, hopefully just once a week.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #36
RVA_Grandpa

I put Jon of the Isle up against the 2 goblins in the arena. Jon easily dispatched the first, but Twitchy Goblin was able to continue using his bow even after being engaged. I was expecting a last shot arrow once engaged, but he kept using the bow for two more melee rounds.

Also a wizard I created was unable to use any of his spells in the arena.

iPhone 6 using iOS 12.2
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #37
mfoster81

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post

I thought DX penalties *definitely* cleared, I'll look for that. It's bizarre that they would persist over an adventure reset.

It's kind of too late for unit tests. I wish I had them in mind when I made some of the design decisions.

You should be able to select a one handed weapons and a shield, in which case the shield should work. You don't need to ready it. If you are using a two handed weapon it ignores the shield, but it should work without specific readying with a one-handed weapon.

Thanks everyone!

Andrew - I found that if I have the weapon in the top position and the shield in the bottom position then it works. If the shield is in the top position then I get the H-T-H damage and not the weapon. I get an option to drop the shield and ready the weapon (in this case, short sword.). Thanks
mfoster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #38
andreww

Everyone should be using 0.9.1 now. This will say 4/23 at the bottom of the About TFT Helper window.

Adjacent bow usage is a known issue. It's been on the list for weeks but it's a low priority. I'll probably fix that next week or even later.

Spells were working, I don't know how they broke. So for the moment, don't expect them to work. We'll test them when they're fixed.

The shield dependency on weapon slot is an interesting oversight. I think that's an easy fix.

Thanks!

Last edited by andreww; 04-25-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #39
RVA_Grandpa

To me it's easier to show what the problems are so I was careful to take screenshots of the new version of the app today.

Go to: https://travelingthelabyrinth.blogsp.../p/photos.html

The screenshots are numbered.

Photo # 1 - View of the character sheet on the previous version of the app. Again, I am using iPhone 6, iOS 12.2.
Photo # 2 - View of the same character sheet in the new version.
Photo # 3 - Text does not fit inside the buttons. (It did before).
Photo # 4 - Jeremiah was abe to successfully use the Dazzle spell against an opponent, but the text refers to it as the Blur spell.
Photo # 5 - Jeremiah wins, but is not awarded any XP. Also the Share button does not work.
Photo # 6 - Headers (in black) for each category of the reference pages overlap and cover the category titles. They are still usable.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #40
hcobb

Android:

Shield Rush with Shield Expertise and a Spike Shield does NaN damage.

Also getting excessive Unarmed Combat bonuses while wielding that shield.

Knocked a spider over and it bit me that same turn.

Last edited by hcobb; 04-25-2019 at 09:02 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote