Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
Chris Goodwin

Default Using metric in TFT - house rules

In my world -- in fact, in my worlds, from here on out -- the Wizards' Guild or whatever passes for it, uses the metric system. Along with any closely related guilds or guilds they oversee (such as Alchemists, Chemists, Mechanicians, etc.)

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Metric system in TFT?

My setting has the ever logical and honest Goblins using this fancy metric system they devised instead of the system of royal decree. Which is why everybody hates them.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
platimus

My system will use the system of the common man that was later standardized by royal decree. But beverages will come in containers that are labelled with both system's unit of volume...because wizards like their beverages and their fancy metric system too. Eventually, the wizards will have their way and the metric system will be used by all by royal decree.

Last edited by platimus; 10-09-2018 at 10:48 AM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
hcobb

The reason why it cost wizards double to learn other skills is that the units of measure a baker uses differ from what they use to make magical potions?
Old 10-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
platimus

No, it's because they are used to dealing with complex tasks and subjects like magic. This has the unfortunate side-effect that they tend to over-analyze simple subjects and tasks, causing them to take longer to learn things that simpletons simply accept. :)
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:00 AM   #6
Skarg

Default Re: Using metric in TFT - house rules

When I converted my TFT campaign to GURPS circa 1986, we considered what to do with the measurement system. Seeing that both games seemed to have values that weren't particularly consistent with real-world weights for weapons & armor, which seemed to be the weights that mattered most since they affect encumbrance for combat purposes . . . I decided that GURPS pounds would be used since we were using GURPS, and that the GURPS pound was an "effective weight" for encumbrance purposes, and that the actual terms used weren't particularly important and may be translations from whatever words they actually use in my campaign's part of Cidri, to modern English.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote