Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #21
Chernobyl
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California
Default Re: Car Wars Tournament at Emerald City Comic Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
It's "The C. F. Memorial Arena", from _Car Wars Arenas_ -- slightly modified, as the way the original is drawn it isn't actually possible to have the corners banked as described....
I'll have to find my copy for the description :)
as a civil engineer I'm curious to see how the superelevation is not possible.
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #22
43Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Car Wars Tournament at Emerald City Comic Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
I'll have to find my copy for the description :)
as a civil engineer I'm curious to see how the superelevation is not possible.
The track is 4" wide on the straights, but is upwards of 5&1/2" in the corners.

The "ground level" forms one side of a right triangle; the vertical wall forms the second side (making a right angle); the track surface itself forms the hypotenuse.

If one measures 4" out from the inner edge of the track, then, one reaches 4" well before one reaches where the outer edge of the track is shown; that's where the top of the banking would be.

If one attempts to draw the banking to where the outer edge of the track is shown, one ends up with the banking in the corners being considerably less deep than in the straights; which leads to the straights actually being "humpbacked" (which will do *very* interesting things to cars driving over same at speed -- in German, it's called a "Flugplatz"... >:) )

If one tries to draw the banking from the outer edge of the track, one reaches a point (literally) where the banking has to perform a 90-degree turn in order to follow the track -- and that would be *really* interesting to drive through (can you say "wall"?).

In short: It is not physically possible to build the track as-described in the manual.
__________________
"Dale *who*?"

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #23
Magesmiley
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Snohomish, WA
Default Re: Car Wars Tournament at Emerald City Comic Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
The track is 4" wide on the straights, but is upwards of 5&1/2" in the corners.

The "ground level" forms one side of a right triangle; the vertical wall forms the second side (making a right angle); the track surface itself forms the hypotenuse.

If one measures 4" out from the inner edge of the track, then, one reaches 4" well before one reaches where the outer edge of the track is shown; that's where the top of the banking would be.

If one attempts to draw the banking to where the outer edge of the track is shown, one ends up with the banking in the corners being considerably less deep than in the straights; which leads to the straights actually being "humpbacked" (which will do *very* interesting things to cars driving over same at speed -- in German, it's called a "Flugplatz"... >:) )

If one tries to draw the banking from the outer edge of the track, one reaches a point (literally) where the banking has to perform a 90-degree turn in order to follow the track -- and that would be *really* interesting to drive through (can you say "wall"?).

In short: It is not physically possible to build the track as-described in the manual.
For an even height, the outer corners need to be in further in. If I were building this, I'd take some creative license and do exactly that to fix this. Start from 2" in from the corners in both the X and Y direction. Use a compass from those points and draw a 2" and 4" quarter circle (the inner side looks approximately right).

If you're doing a triple scale map, that would be 1' and 2' respectively (a piece of string and two pencils are useful for doing this). This should give an even width for the track all the way around (1' on the base). The outer edge of the track should be 4" high according to the description, which gives an actual road bed of 12.65" on the angle.

That's how I'd tackle it anyways. Voila.
__________________
Dynamax Designs, Designing quality since 2035.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM   #24
Magesmiley
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Snohomish, WA
Default Re: Car Wars Tournament at Emerald City Comic Con

Hmmm. This wouldn't actually be that hard to build really. (Drums fingers...)
__________________
Dynamax Designs, Designing quality since 2035.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #25
43Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Car Wars Tournament at Emerald City Comic Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
For an even height, the outer corners need to be in further in. If I were building this, I'd take some creative license and do exactly that to fix this. Start from 2" in from the corners in both the X and Y direction. Use a compass from those points and draw a 2" and 4" quarter circle (the inner side looks approximately right).
I had a 3D version made a while back -- if one takes the inner edge of the track as "baseline", and moves 4" out from that, one gets proper banking; the "extra" on the outer edge can be disregarded.

(This would be far easier to discuss if I could post pics here, but "the world is what you make of it -- if it doesn't fit, you make alterations". :) )
__________________
"Dale *who*?"

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.