Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #21
flankspeed

Default Re: Effects of alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardDiceian View Post
This seems like a really nicely rounded set of rules, that take any for of revelry into account -I'll certainly be printing these off and keeping them with my official rules. :)
Thank you very much for the positive feedback! I did borrow ideas from other posters here, so I am indebted to them for inspiration. I merely tried to bring it all together and propose a way to make every drink count while including game mechanics for extra strong drinks, spiked drinks, vomiting, hangovers, and addiction.

Flavor is added by saying -1 DX/-1 IQ is just being tipsy, while increasing levels of intoxication begin to make a person unsteady on their feet if they move too far too quickly. In other words, they can stagger a short distance, but push it too far and they risk face planting on the floor.

Hangovers are reflected in that a person who fails five saves and passes out might wake up after 8 hours (perhaps partly forced unconsciousness and partly trying to sleep it off) and still be at -3 DX/-3 IQ. They have a doozy of a hangover that will slowly wear off every four hours of the next day.

If they are desperate to succeed in some dextrous task the next day, such as working a job or fighting a duel, they may be tempted to try folk remedies to cure a hangover. It’s up to the GM to rule how well those work. Trying the “hair of the dog that bit you” would only help if you rolled a critical success against a drink strength of 3D6 or higher, which would reduce DX/IQ penalties by +1. Of course, if you fail such a strong intoxication roll, you’re getting tipsy again and only making things worse!

I’m glad you like the rules and will find them useful. Enjoy responsibly! Or not, hehe.

Last edited by flankspeed; 08-01-2018 at 06:01 PM.
flankspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #22
flankspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Awesome job! That's a great ruleset! Looks like it ought to play out really well.
Just to let you know, I revised my rules slightly and started a new forum post under the title:

Rules for Intoxication (or, "It's Tipsy Fun Time!")

If you want the most up to date version, then please check that new thread.

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #23
flankspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardDiceian View Post
This seems like a really nicely rounded set of rules, that take any for of revelry into account -I'll certainly be printing these off and keeping them with my official rules. :)
Just to let you know, I revised my rules slightly and started a new forum post under the title:

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #24
flankspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
One of our fans who currently cannot access the forums here suggested adding to ITL a short paragraph or two about the effects of Alcohol on characters and their abilities. Since my own characters tend to spend a lot of time in taverns for some reason (*ahem*). I thought this was an excellent idea....

Any rules for this ought to be very brief and easily implemented, I would say. But it seems like it would be so much USE to a GM that it would be a shame not to provide this somewhere. Sometimes a drunken brawl is just what you need to kick off a fine session of adventuring.

Thank you!
Old 08-04-2018, 12:06 AM   #25
JohnPaulB

What about the morning after?

THE HANGOVER?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:15 AM   #26
Skarg

flankspeed's rules actually cover the hangover.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:22 AM   #27
flankspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
What about the morning after?

THE HANGOVER?
In the most up-to-date version of my intoxication rules, I have added subheads, so it should be easier to find the paragraphs on hangovers and sobering up. Of course, if I failed to include a rule you would like to see or you don’t like what I wrote, then feel free to “house-rule” my house rules. They’re “open source”! Here is the link to Flankspeed’s unpatented:

Rules for Intoxication (or, “It’s Tipsy Fun Time!”)

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=158953

Enjoy responsibly! Or not, hehe.