Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Snaps

Default I-SWAT Teams

So what kinds of I-SWAT teams have you had in your games, and what sorts of points levels do you use?

Lately I've been using 300 to 500 points. I've introduced a lot of new players to GURPS lately (I'd say I've introduced fifteen new players to GURPS in the last year alone). I tend to give new players more points so that they don't die as fast.

Recently I've been using 300 points and I've actually been helping the players min/max their characters to be as powerful as possible with those points. The reason I've done this is I've found that you always have one or two players that min/max anyway, so if you get everyone min/maxed they are all on equal footing. I then run them through the same stuff I'd put a non-min/maxed team of 500 point characters through.

I use the characters from X-Men Origins: Wolverine as examples of good I-SWAT characters. You've got a Teleporter, a Tank, some Close Combat Guys, a Hacker and a Gun Guy.

My current team has:

-A Hunchback with Mental powers of persuasion (including enough Obscure that no one ever notices him)
-A Speedster (Lots of attacks and high basic speed)
-A Bobba Fett. (Soldier in Armor with lots of gizmos)
-A standard Mage

In the past I've had:

-A Skinwalker (Morph with extra points, could turn into any monster he'd killed)
-Lots of Jedi (Almost every games had at least one)
-A Mistborn
Etc.

What do your teams look like?
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
arcanus

Default Re: I-SWAT Teams

Hi Snaps,

Team 1
Victorian Lord with very high Social Reaction and Social Engineering skills/perks and cover ids on a variety of Worldlines.
Rock Star Elven Bard who attunes the song of the spheres
Cyborg Techno Wizard
Homeline Jounalist following their escapades

Team 2
Sociopathic Telekinetic
Cyber kinetic Financial auditor (wrong person in the wrong place)
Prophetic World Jumper

Max
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Phantasm

The one team I was in once:

Rifts Earth amoral mercenary w/ bionic arm and claws
Half-Sidhe ranger
Blue-haired librarian mage/alchemist w/ Healing and Necromancy spells (it's always the quiet ones)
Drunken master wheelman
Amoral gunslinger
Syntactic mage/martial artist who thought he was superior to others (racist from a timeline run by China)
Inexperienced teleporter running away from a timeline stuck in the 1950s, technologically and socially

Sadly, the game folded because the GM wanted "heroes", not the hodge-podge group of misfits with questionable morals who could possibly betray the team for more $$$ at the slightest provocation. (My character, the merc, barely passed his Self-Control roll vs Greed the one time.) I guess if he hadn't mentioned we'd be the black ops, plausible deniability team, we wouldn't've gone with lower morals.

Still, we did manage a "SNEAK ATTACK, B***H!" moment with a rocket launcher vs a Martian tripod - a roll of a 3 on a Guns (LAW) defaulted from DX by the half-Sidhe. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
arconom

Oh I-SWAT, you're such a card:

The Teem:
Patrolman Winters: A lady who can Duplicate (once) and refers to her Dupe as her twin sister.

Patrolman HighTower: A lady who is/eats rocks. Also she's really strong.

A parachronic hobo who can innately read/listen to radio signals. Also he used to be in the Cabal, and the Cabal don't like him.

A hedgehog. It flies. It fires missiles. It's annoying.

Agent Power: An I-COP who got Warp and Jumper because Azathoth possessed him.

Special Agent Sandiego: The child of Waldo and Carmen Sandiego. I don't have a description of this character. The hedgehog killed her.

I hate my friends. This campaign ended after their characters fought Azathoth. Agent Power ended up as a brain in a jar. The rest are a statue at Infinity HQ.

Last edited by arconom; 09-24-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Can't forget the team leader.
arconom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
ed_209a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
So what kinds of I-SWAT teams have you had in your games, and what sorts of points levels do you use?...

-A Hunchback with Mental powers of persuasion (including enough Obscure that no one ever notices him)
Any chance that player is an Isaac Asimov fan? That sounds a lot like a major character from his Foundation trilogy.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Phantasm

I forgot to mention, our team above was built on 300 points.

Mechanically, the majority of the problems were with the syntactic mage.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
arcanus

I also wrote up a group of I-Swat NPC Freelancers connected to Professor William Headley called the Ghost Writers, each was 250 to 400 points.

Consisted of:

Harry Houdini (Suped up version of the write up in Gurps Whos Who)
HP Lovecraft (Complete with Dreaming abilities)
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Charles Forte

Inspiration came from a Graphic Novel called Necronauts

Max
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
oldgringo2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_209a View Post
Any chance that player is an Isaac Asimov fan? That sounds a lot like a major character from his Foundation trilogy.
Yes, I'm a fan of the author of more than 500 books, and that hunchback sounds pretty much like The Mule, the unexpected joker in Destiny's deck that Hari Seldon didn't figure into his psychohistorical plans to illuminate and shorten the dark age following the breakup of the Empire.
oldgringo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
7omnia7

250 points, 175 point disadvantage limit.

-Serb terrorist (ex Tiger of Arkan), a giant with ST 19, plenty commando skills (including airliner pilot) and Supernatural Durability.
-A researcher at a high energy lab that gets contaminated by "Oz" particles, thus aquiring Magery and Mana Enhancer.
-An Assasin (a Sufi Muslim) with cinematic abilities (Trained by a Master, etc...)
-A Vampire
-An Cyberpsi (with other EK powers) kid.

A group of sadists that eventually left Infinity to work for a big bad guy...and died.
7omnia7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, iswat